Top 10 Reasons for Pastors to Avoid Politics

Tarheel Baptist said:
LongGone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

10. Because no one trained you properly to get involved with politics—and a little seminar, however exciting, won’t make up for that yawning deficit. (Do you think politicians can be trained to be pastors by attending a seminar?)

9. Because no one hired you to get involved with politics. (And if they did, they shouldn’t have: See #10.)

8. Because pastors are supposed to call us toward the ideal and the ultimate, while politicians have to compromise over the real and the immediate.

7. Because the Scriptures (your main area of intellectual expertise—right?) are, at best, only suggestive and regulative over the field of politics (a quite different area of intellectual expertise—right? See #10 again).

6. Because you’ll alienate a considerable part of your constituency who see political matters differently, and will hold that difference against you, thus losing the benefits of your pastoral care and authority.

5. Because you need to consider the troubling fact that you’re not alienating a considerable part of your constituency, so why is your church so uniform in its politics?

4. Because governments come and go, and you need to reserve the sacred right to prophesy to whoever is in power.

3. Because politicians come and go, and you need to reserve the sacred right to comfort whoever is not, or no longer, in power.

2. Because politics brings out the worst in people, and you’re supposed to bring out the best in people.

1. Because politics brings out the worst in people, and unless you’re an exception (like Tommy Douglas), politics will bring out the worst in you.

What a crock!

Why?  We have built churches where only Republicans feel welcome

What a crock!

I wish it were.

My church has chased several families away because it is no haven for someone who doesn't toe the Rush/FOX line. I don't care what folks at church think about my politics but there have been some who couldn't stand the nasty comments and moved on.

FWIW I speak not of pastors and pulpits but potlucks and lobby conversations. Or SS discussions where Larry Loudmouth has to repeat that funny line he heard on Hannity this week. You know the guy. Can't think for himself but accuses those who disagree with him of being low information voters. So those who would see the gospel as more than lower tax rates move on to find a place where people are open to more than one opinion. Or are at least able to respect one different from their own.

(CNSNews.com) – The Rev. Franklin Graham said in a radio interview broadcast Thursday he cannot support any candidate, Republican or Democrat—including President Barack Obama--who supports abortion and same-sex marriage.

If a pastor made that statement to his congregation would that be crossing the line?  Would pastors speaking out against Hitler and the Nazi party during the holocaust be nothing more than political partisans? 

I read an article of an old German man who described how his congregation reacted to Jews being transported to the concentration camps during World War 2.

"Week after week that train whistle would blow. We would dread to hear the sound of those old wheels because we knew that the Jews would begin to cry out to us as they passed our church. It was so terribly disturbing! We could do nothing to help these poor miserable people, yet their screams tormented us. We knew exactly at what time that whistle would blow, and we decided the only way to keep from being so disturbed by the cries was to start singing our hymns. By the time that train came rumbling past the church yard, we were singing at the top of our voices. If some of the screams reached our ears, we'd just sing a little louder until we could hear them no more. Years have passed and no one talks about it much anymore, but I still hear that train whistle in my sleep. I can still hear them crying out for help. God forgive all of us who called ourselves Christians, yet did nothing to intervene.
"Their screams tormented us . . . If some of their screams reached our ears we'd just sing a little louder."

http://www.repentamerica.com/singalittlelouder.html

Are pastors in America crossing the line by telling their congregations they should not vote for any candidate who promises to continue supporting killing millions of babies and promises to destroy the institution of marriage defined and established by God? 

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
LongGone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

10. Because no one trained you properly to get involved with politics—and a little seminar, however exciting, won’t make up for that yawning deficit. (Do you think politicians can be trained to be pastors by attending a seminar?)

9. Because no one hired you to get involved with politics. (And if they did, they shouldn’t have: See #10.)

8. Because pastors are supposed to call us toward the ideal and the ultimate, while politicians have to compromise over the real and the immediate.

7. Because the Scriptures (your main area of intellectual expertise—right?) are, at best, only suggestive and regulative over the field of politics (a quite different area of intellectual expertise—right? See #10 again).

6. Because you’ll alienate a considerable part of your constituency who see political matters differently, and will hold that difference against you, thus losing the benefits of your pastoral care and authority.

5. Because you need to consider the troubling fact that you’re not alienating a considerable part of your constituency, so why is your church so uniform in its politics?

4. Because governments come and go, and you need to reserve the sacred right to prophesy to whoever is in power.

3. Because politicians come and go, and you need to reserve the sacred right to comfort whoever is not, or no longer, in power.

2. Because politics brings out the worst in people, and you’re supposed to bring out the best in people.

1. Because politics brings out the worst in people, and unless you’re an exception (like Tommy Douglas), politics will bring out the worst in you.

What a crock!

What a crock!

I wish it were.

My church has chased several families away because it is no haven for someone who doesn't toe the Rush/FOX line. I don't care what folks at church think about my politics but there have been some who couldn't stand the nasty comments and moved on.

FWIW I speak not of pastors and pulpits but potlucks and lobby conversations. Or SS discussions where Larry Loudmouth has to repeat that funny line he heard on Hannity this week. You know the guy. Can't think for himself but accuses those who disagree with him of being low information voters. So those who would see the gospel as more than lower tax rates move on to find a place where people are open to more than one opinion. Or are at least able to respect one different from their own.

So, naturally all churches and all Pastors should be silent on politics and political issues....like killing babies and undermining the Biblical concept of marriage.

Makes sense to me..... ::)

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
LongGone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

What a crock!

What a crock!

I wish it were.

So, naturally all churches and all Pastors should be silent on politics and political issues....like killing babies and undermining the Biblical concept of marriage.

So I'm guessing you are going to lead the crusade in getting SCOTUS to allow polygamy. Good for you! :D

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
LongGone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

What a crock!

What a crock!

I wish it were.

So I'm guessing you are going to lead the crusade in getting SCOTUS to allow polygamy. Good for you! :D

In my opinion, polygamy would further undermine the Biblical concept of marriage. But, in my opinion, one who professes to be pro-life would be opposed to the dismemberment and sale of infant body parts, so what do I know?  :)

In your opinion, would loving your enemies include dropping bombs on them?

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
LongGone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

What a crock!

What a crock!

I wish it were.

Wow, even you can be obtuse when you want.

I am talking about mean ,denigrating rhetoric. Feminazi. Blood suckers. Parasites. Wetbacks. Welfare queens. Sound familiar?

Also note that I specifically said it didn't come from the pulpit but from the Rush Limbaugh parrots. Now if that fits you then I suggest that you stop using FOX News and its ilk as your sermon outline source. I would no more want to hear Rush or Hannity regurgitated from the pulpit than to listen to man preach from a Time magazine article.

What should matter from the pulpit is that the pastor make it clear that denigrating another person's opinion is unacceptable within the body of Christ. Discuss and debate? Fine. Name calling and such have no place in the family of God.

You mean "preachers" shouldn't refer to "all the God hating liberals"? (True quote...and there was quite the round of amens.)

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
LongGone said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

What a crock!

What a crock!

I wish it were.

Wow, even you can be obtuse when you want.

I am talking about mean ,denigrating rhetoric. Feminazi. Blood suckers. Parasites. Wetbacks. Welfare queens. Sound familiar?

Also note that I specifically said it didn't come from the pulpit but from the Rush Limbaugh parrots. Now if that fits you then I suggest that you stop using FOX News and its ilk as your sermon outline source. I would no more want to hear Rush or Hannity regurgitated from the pulpit than to listen to man preach from a Time magazine article.

What should matter from the pulpit is that the pastor make it clear that denigrating another person's opinion is unacceptable within the body of Christ. Discuss and debate? Fine. Name calling and such have no place in the family of God.

You build a straw man set of arguments.
To be politically active, one only has to preach the Scripture....when scripture speaks to political issues. You seem to be a tad obtuse yourself!

And, FTR, the OP is a crock!

Tarheel Baptist said:

So the families that have left my church due to Larry Loudmouth repeating Rushisms are a strawman of my imagination?

In Canada, clergy may not endorse a particular political party or candidate or to tell their parishioners that they ought to vote a particular way.

This does not strike me as an unreasonable restriction.

On the other hand, it's not illegal to speak about politics (e.g. by telling them they ought to vote), or to speak out about particular moral issues. For example, our then senior pastor spoke on Parliament Hill in 2003 in favour of marriage, before same-sex mirage became the law of the land.

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

So the families that have left my church due to Larry Loudmouth repeating Rushisms are a strawman of my imagination?

I am, of course, in no position to comment on your experience.
What I intended to say was that one does not have to be a name caller or insulting to take a stand on political issues that are moral/Biblical issues.

Ransom said:
In Canada, clergy may not endorse a particular political party or candidate or to tell their parishioners that they ought to vote a particular way.

On the other hand, it's not illegal to speak about politics (e.g. by telling them they ought to vote), or to speak out about particular moral issues. For example, our then senior pastor spoke on Parliament Hill in 2003 in favour of marriage, before same-sex mirage became the law of the land.

Those are basically the same restrictions placed on us in the US.

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

What I intended to say was that one does not have to be a name caller or insulting to take a stand on political issues that are moral/Biblical issues.

This by same person saying people on the other side of the political aisle are stupid...

rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

This by same person saying people on the other side of the political aisle are stupid...

Bump!

Ransom said:

This is my view as well. Bonhoeffer (obviously not American) had the right to fight the government of his time. MLK used the pulpit for civil rights. Where I draw the line is where a pastor uses his realm of influence to degrade those who feel the other party's moral objectives are inferior to his and push his parishioners to believe one side is more moral in the eyes of God than the other.

I believe in standing for and preaching the morality that is within politics but refrain from persuading a particular party or candidate.

rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

That's OK. We are able to see true colors at work. God will work it out in the end. I hope 'the end' is not too late.

But I tell you, everyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. And whoever says to his brother, Fool!' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But whoever says, You moron!' will be subject to hellfire.

Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

That's OK. We are able to see true colors at work. God will work it out in the end. I hope 'the end' is not too late.

But I tell you, everyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. And whoever says to his brother, Fool!' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But whoever says, You moron!' will be subject to hellfire.

I thank God that Smellin is not like other men!
Amen and amen!
And, Quack, quack!

Smellin Coffee said:

did anyone mention that this ^^^ is a crock?