traditonal archery... .(plus some medieval and primitive kinds too)

;).... ...well... yes... that would be possible... . there were battles where archers reused enemy arrows that fell short.... as long as the arrow didn;t break when it hit the ground or the arrowhead didn;t dislodge and become lost in the dirt..... and they shot those back with good effect...... ... but most of these medieval archers on both sides only lightly secured their broadheads to the arrow shaft with soft wax - so that when attempts were made to pull it out of a human body the broad head came off and remained inside ..😮 ... where it would continue to tear internal issue and cause bleeding in a person still alive.... 😖 ..there were even some elaborate medical devices invented to help find and remove embedded arrowheads.... (i think i have a video of that being demonstrated around here somewhere)....
found it...:)... medieval surgery - arrowhead removal... 😷

I'd just do what Lars would do.....catch the enemy's arrows mid flight and shot them back before he can reload(whatever archers call that) 🙃
well..... i;m not sure lars would be able to shoot a heavy warbow arrow with his lightweight recurve bow.... and that;s provided he could actually catch one coming down on him with many times more force and velocity than the little carbon fiber sticks he shoots....

but then i also have to wonder if medieval archers would have even shot arrows at lars in a battle...:unsure:. ..prancing and dancing around the way he does might have made the french think he was the english court jester.... and since jesters are always close to the king they would have been looking for the english king instead to try and shoot.....

and then if he was over on the french side the english archers made up of welsh - irish - scottish as well as english.. probably would not have shot an arrow at him either..... the irish - welsh - and scots would have thought he was either a leprechaun... fairy.. or a brownie... and knew that doing injury to any such mythical creatures was very bad luck... .they would be saying... ."awe... just look at 'im with his wee little bow... leave him be and he can dance for us when the battle is over..".... . . and then the english would have pretended he wasn;t there... fearing they would be burned at the stake for even admitting they saw such a thing..... ;)

well..... i;m not sure lars would be able to shoot a heavy warbow arrow with his lightweight recurve bow.... and that;s provided he could actually catch one coming down on him with many times more force and velocity than the little carbon fiber sticks he shoots....

but then i also have to wonder if medieval archers would have even shot arrows at lars in a battle...:unsure:. ..prancing and dancing around the way he does might have made the french think he was the english court jester.... and since jesters are always close to the king they would have been looking for the english king instead to try and shoot.....

and then if he was over on the french side the english archers made up of welsh - irish - scottish as well as english.. probably would not have shot an arrow at him either..... the irish - welsh - and scots would have thought he was either a leprechaun... fairy.. or a brownie... and knew that doing injury to any such mythical creatures was very bad luck... .they would be saying... ."awe... just look at 'im with his wee little bow... leave him be and he can dance for us when the battle is over..".... . . and then the english would have pretended he wasn;t there... fearing they would be burned at the stake for even admitting they saw such a thing..... ;)
That was a brilliant answer.....LOVE IT!!

That was a brilliant answer.....LOVE IT!!
i don;t know if you remember.... but i got involved in an.. experiment.. once, at the request of a fellow archer who wanted to prove he could catch arrows in midflight.... and that he knew what the mythbusters had done wrong when they failed at it..... ....this was long before lars came onto the scene with his videos, and my friend failed at it too..... (plus it almost got us banned from the archery range)..... .but then my bow (even then) was twice as powerful as the mythbusters bow... and probably 6 times more powerful than the ultra-lite hollywood bow lars uses.....

i swore to several people i would never do anything like that again... but i would be tempted to make an exception if lars wanted to try it... ;) ...tempted only though..... that seriously could have gone horribly wrong... even at 100 yards and with extra time to see the arrow coming.... but i have seen the error and foolishness of my ways back then and made adjustments to my decision making paradigms and actions accordingly.... .....(yeah... that sounds good...:unsure: almost as good as the apology i gave back then..:sneaky:)....

warning in advance.... this video contains images that some forum members might find offensive.... if that;s the case then please have the moderators delete this post and i;ll apologize and repent... .. seriously... :confused:

but .... an archery friend sent me this video saying i should try to do the same thing and make youtube videos of the archery activites i do..... he also noted that this girl and i have several things in common..... we are of similar size and body build.... (she;s 5 ft tall even and i;m 4 ft 10 and 1/2)..... we both shoot a bow in the 60 pound draw weight range and have the same draw length of 23 inches... and we can both hit targets at long distances..... .

but beyond that we are very different.... ..she shoots a compound bow loaded with gadgets and aiming devices.... and i shoot a traditional longbow that is considered a barebow.... (no gadgets or devices at all)... plus she also shoots factory made aluminum arrows and i make my own from wood and real feathers the old fashoned way..... ... there is another major difference - we don;t talk anything alike... i;m guessing her accent is typical of the south... mine is typical of a kid that grew up in hawaii and went to public schools.....

but don;t worry.... i do not now or ever plan on making any youtube videos.... it;s just not my thing..... i love watching videos others make but that;s where it ends.....

most people here will probably find this video boring and tedius.... but if you have
ever wondered about medieval movies where men at arms are seen stopping arrows
with shields that seem to be light as feathers then you might find it interesting.... .
how heavy would a shield made with medieval technology have to be to be effective
against arrows shot from a heavy warbow?.... could the average warrior even handle
such a shield?.... in the video tod shoots a crossbow that he claims accurately shoots
arrows with the same speed - power and distance as a heavy 160 lb warbow... ....

That was an interesting video on the shield. War is hell no matter the tech. That reminded of one of the scenes in Braveheart where the Scots face the English archers. I won't embed the video here, because there's profanity and mooning, but still that rain of arrows was horrific. https: //youtu.be/zMXg_I7YY0o?si=L5SN8W7HhmSB1-X4

(close up the space between https: and // )

That was an interesting video on the shield. War is hell no matter the tech. That reminded of one of the scenes in Braveheart where the Scots face the English archers. I won't embed the video here, because there's profanity and mooning, but still that rain of arrows was horrific. https: //youtu.be/zMXg_I7YY0o?si=L5SN8W7HhmSB1-X4

(close up the space between https: and // )
braveheart was a awesome movie.... i saw a documentary on how they made it... . and in those rain of arrows scenes close to the ground they took a page from howard hill movies and had real archers up on platforms shooting real arrows straight down into the ground between and around the actors... .. ....of course in the old robin hood movie with erol flynn they had armored planks strapped under actors costumes and howard hill actually shot them with arrows from off screen to make a more realistic effect..... .....can you imagine a movie producer trying to do something like that today?.....

braveheart was a awesome movie.... i saw a documentary on how they made it... . and in those rain of arrows scenes close to the ground they took a page from howard hill movies and had real archers up on platforms shooting real arrows straight down into the ground between and around the actors... .. ....of course in the old robin hood movie with erol flynn they had armored planks strapped under actors costumes and howard hill actually shot them with arrows from off screen to make a more realistic effect..... .....can you imagine a movie producer trying to do something like that today?.....
:oops:

No, I cannot.

seeing this i was thinking what an awesome hunting camp that would be... many
times nicer than the primitive set up we spend jungle nights in... but then if we
did have one this nice we would never want to leave it to go hunt anything....
..especially in that weather.... even though that kind of weather is what i have
done my best hunting in... . but no worries... both me and my bow are rainproof
....... and the arrows are expendable... :sneaky:

seeing this i was thinking what an awesome hunting camp that would be... many
times nicer than the primitive set up we spend jungle nights in... but then if we
did have one this nice we would never want to leave it to go hunt anything....
..especially in that weather.... even though that kind of weather is what i have
done my best hunting in... . but no worries... both me and my bow are rainproof
....... and the arrows are expendable... :sneaky:

We took the camper up to Camp Grizzly this last weekend. I was told it would be dry camping so I got my generator ready. Got there and was able to fill the fresh water tank. As I parked in our assigned spot a 30 amp service plug was pointed out to me. It was warm, so we ran the A/C. First night, a thunderstorm blew up out of nowhere. Thunder rumbled as we were going to bed. Through the night, we were awakened by the pitter patter of rain. Rain falling on a camper I'm sleeping in is one of my favorite sounds.

bishop hugh latimer was someone quite a few traditional longbowmen say they
can relate to... especially the ones who are conservative and christian/protestant..
...latimer was burned alive along with nickolas ridley for heresy my the infamous
queen known as "bloody mary"...... but prior to that he had been a great supporter
of keeping englands tradition of requiring young men to begin training as archers
from the age of 7 so as to keep a reserve force of able bodied archers ready to
defend england... but he also saw merit in the life lessons and discipline he
believed archery training could teach them.....

martyrdom-of-ridley-and-latimer-1555-british-library.jpeg

training a medieval bowman in the art of archery.... . a good video on ways to become
a better archer.... the maker is wearing full armor and gear of a bowman from the war
of the roses era.... and seems to have no problem with it..... when i first started doing
serious pig hunting in the mountain rainforest i wore a homemade ghilly suit... and i still
do sometimes for hunting... some people have no problem shooting a bow in a guilly suit
- but i learned very quickly that i could not shoot my bow wearing one..... so we altered
it so that i could easily and quietly slip out of the top part and let it drape down from my
midsection and then make a clean and accurate shot while hopefully remaining unseen by
the quarry.... the whole purpose of the ghilly suit in my case was to allow me to remain
unseen while stalking as close as possible to the guarry anyway... once i;m in position
i can take an accurate shot quickly...... but that all became possible by doing the
very same type of training shown in this video.... :cool:

i learned how to make medieval arrows not long after i started shooting traditional bows...
and soon after learned how to repair damaged ones..... .and the techniques shown in this

video by kevin hicks are the exact same methods i use to repair and restore arrows ...
however... at the 8 minute mark of the video he shows an arrow that he says is beyond
repair.. . it;s actually not.... . i have a tool made in germany (shown below the video)...

that i use to trim and fit pieces of broken arrows back together... .. it works really well
and i have repaired dozens of broken arrows over the years with it.... and i have a whole

bushel sized box of broken pieces still waiting for me to find time to repair them.... ...
........ but anyway..... this is an awesome video on medieval arrow work... . kinda long..
. but dedicated traditional archers will like it....

arrow repair tool... ...(needs a drill to use it.... and cordless drill is best)...

1181610_81_108554_2gVf4GEao.png

af_shaft_points.png

.shooting a medieval warbow from a castle battlement....

does launching an arrow from elevation make a difference in the distance the arrow will travel?...
. .. this is a fascinating experiment .. and shooting from a castle battlement is something i would
love to do myself.... especially from a place where an actual archery battle took place.....

medieval iron and steel forged arrowheads and bodkins...

i make a lot of primitive and medieval style arrows by hand.... but there is one skill
involved in medieval arrow making that i don;t have... and most likely never will...
and that is the hand forging of medieval iron and steel arrow heads and points....
.....this video below is a pretty good discussion of various types of medieval heads
and i do have examples of most of the types they show.. only a few examples of some
.. but a good supply of the types i use most often and that my dad uses on his warbow

arrows - but they were all made by a blacksmith forging company on the mainland
and shipped to me....

50177421008_4df7f3b516_b.jpeg