Trudeau is afraid of truckers?

Should we, as Christians and Americans, support and finance the Canadian trucker protests? Here is a helpful perspective by Kevin Bauder, professor at Central Baptist Seminary in Plymouth, Minnesota (IFB). He posted this in August, 2020, at a time when the Antifa and Black Lives Matter protests were prominent, although he did not mention them by name. I guess the question is, do his objections apply to left-wing civil disobedience only, or also to right-wing civil disobedience?

"To be clear, however, no justified protest can ever breach a just law—not even for the purpose of protesting an unjust act. For example, laws that permit abortions on demand are evil laws. Christians can rightly protest these laws and seek to change them. They might even choose to protest abortion clinics. If they do, however, they must respect the property rights of those clinics. Laws that protect property are just laws, even when they protect unjust people. To undermine property law is to undermine something fundamental to human life and liberty.

"The principle is simple: no one can live without property. If someone deprives you of all possessions (clothing, shelter, food, and the means to obtain them), you will die. Whoever can deprive you of property can deprive you of life. It is no accident that “Thou shalt not steal” is a fundamental moral law.

"Consequently, when protestors commit trespass or seize a building, they become renegades. They are answerable for breaching just laws. The same is true of protestors that block public streets and hinder traffic: access and egress is part of the means to obtain property. If the street leads to a hospital or some other essential service, then access and egress may even be immediately critical to life.

"Certain perspectives commonly distinguish violent from non-violent protests. This distinction, however, hardly matters; it is nearly meaningless. When a just law is breached, the difference between violence and non-violence is at most one of degree. The correct distinction is between protests that respect just laws and protests that breach them. If a protest breaches just laws, then it is really in the same class as a violent protest or a riot.

"Liberty rests upon order, and when order collapses, liberty topples. The fundamental duty of all civil authority is to maintain good order and to execute retribution upon those who rupture it. The Bible makes this point all the way from Genesis 9:6 to 1 Peter 2:14, but it would still be true even if we had no Bible. Nothing is worse or more destructive to liberty than anarchy—even when it masquerades as anti-Fascism.

"This principle also applies to supposedly 'non-violent' protests that transgress just laws—including property and trespass laws. The fact that protestors are unarmed does not mean that they have the right to intimidate the innocent or to stem the normal flow of normal human liberty. Where just laws are breached, government has a primary duty to intervene."

"A new poll finds more than two-thirds of Canadians would support the use of military force to help clear out Ottawa protesters, while support for the truckers has fallen to 20 per cent – both for what they are protesting and how they are going about it.

Doubtful that's going to happen. Justin Trudeau has, so far, consistently said military intervention isn't on the table.

Pierre Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act in 1970 to declare martial law during the October Crisis in Montreal in 1970. That remains a very controversial move, even though it was an actual case of terrorism in which buildings were being bombed and government officials were kidnapped and murdered. If Junior isn't historically myopic, he's not going to do the same thing for what doesn't even amount to an insurrection, despite the "threat to democracy" hyperbole of the hand-wringers.

It appears to me that Canada is ahead of the US on the road to liberal utopianism.

Didn’t Trudeau take a knee in suppyof BLM protests at the beginning of the pandemic? It isn’t protest but who’s doing the protesting that matters I guess.

I'm praying that the senate will vote to revoke the EA invocation.

Yeah, Trudeau is kind of like a Newfoundlander, but short on brains.
Brains are only one thing he's short on. Don't see how Canadians keep putting idiots like him in office.

Have you considered our President, Congress and Senate?
I have...and I have to say I still don't believe Mr. Biden got 80+M votes. For one, it's a statistical impossibility. Secondly, I don't believe we have that many STUPID people living in this country.

Two weeks to flatten the truckers extended…no matter how flat they are.
On the plus side, the Conservative party's interim leader tabled a motion that would force Parliament to discuss and debate the state of emergency again next week. Don't know if it will come to anything, but it keeps the legislation in the spotlight. Clearly she's a chess player.

not to be outdone by justah truedope of canada.... after learning the american version
of the truck drivers protest is close to the capitol.... our own government "officials" are
once again building a fence around themselves... ... and cracking down on free speech,
declaring anyone who is exercizing their first amendment rights.... (in a way they don;t
agree with)
..... as domestic terrorist and enemy of the state...

The controversy over the vaccine requirement continues to rumble on in Canada. The Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario has accepted a discrimination complaint by an unvaccinated man who was not allowed to patronize a rock-climbing wall in a gymnasium near Toronto, even though the gym owner was only obeying the law at the time by refusing to let him in. In my opinion, this particular allegation of discrimination is definitely "off the wall." :cool:

"Former People’s Party of Canada (PPC) candidate Florian Bors alleges Hub Climbing discriminated against him when it denied him access to their gym in Markham for not being vaccinated against COVID — at a time when proof of immunization was legally required to enter non-essential businesses. . . . Michael McLean, a spokesman for Tribunals Ontario, declined to address questions about why HRTO is hearing a complaint against a business that was implementing provincial law . . . Bors said he realizes Hub was merely implementing a provincial law but 'just because it’s a law doesn’t mean it’s right. Slavery was a law but it wasn’t right.'”