Tulsi Gabbard leaves the Demoncratic party.

Trump won it by near 20 points. I would respectfully disagree that it’s a blue state
There is a Republican shift taking place in WV, probably in large part because the Republicans are backing the coal industry and the Democrats are trying to eliminate it, so the unions haven’t had much choice but to switch allegiances.

There is a Republican shift taking place in WV, probably in large part because the Republicans are backing the coal industry and the Democrats are trying to eliminate it, so the unions haven’t had much choice but to switch allegiances.
According to the numbers the shift has already been accomplished.

According to the numbers the shift has already been accomplished.
I hope you’re right, but I’d like to see a a couple more election results before I make that call. Democrats have a way of throwing fast money out at poorer people and getting votes.

a month ago we were on a hunting expedition which lasted almost 3 weeks... then when i got back and found time again to get online the forum format had changed and i couldn;t log in or stay logged in.... but i am glad that;s fixed now.....

but as for tulsi gabbard... . i have known her for many years... from even before she joined the army after 911... ..prior to her lurch to the left (when she became a bernie sanders supporter).. she had always been relatively conservative.... as was her father mike gabbard who served in the hawaii state government as a democrat.... they both supported tradtional marriage in hawaii and were against gay marriage right up until the moment obama forced churches to go along with it... . then they suddenly came out in support of gay marriage to stay relevant.. .. that was very disappointing to many of us who admired her.....

point is..... she is not immune from doing flip flops for political expediency... and this latest lurch back to the right... while appearing to be sincere... might be just another political flip to enhance her career... and most people in hawaii stopped trusting her a long time ago... . even before she ran for president...

Last edited:
That's very possibly so. Too many politicians are wishy-washy and feel they have to appease the whole world to stay in office. Nothing is worth compromise.

point is..... she is not immune from doing flip flops for political expediency... and this latest lurch back to the right... while appearing to be sincere... might be just another political flip to enhance her career
That’s about how I had her pegged. BTW, welcome back…you’ll have to share out about your 3 week hunting trip.

That’s about how I had her pegged. BTW, welcome back…you’ll have to share out about your 3 week hunting trip.
thanks.... and thanks also for all of you who were asking about me.. ... it;s nice to know i was missed....;) .....

the hunting expedition was pretty awesome.... ....and in some very primitive conditions too - once we got to the place we worked from.... . we might do it again between now and the end of the year depending on what the land owner wants.....there was so much going on i could actually write a short novel about it ..but i will try to keep it brief and hit the basics only..... .

the guy we worked for owns a very large piece of land high up in the koolaus that;s mostly all pristine and untouched rainforest.... ..he wants to keep it that way and preserve it... but wild pigs have been there for years and recently their numbers were increasing and they were starting to having a bad impact on it.... .

so he hired several groups of us that are traditional archers - spot and stalk ground hunters... to go in one group at a time for a few days or weeks at a time and rid the place of as many pigs as we were able to... ...... he had a lot of rules relating to preservation and environmental integrity we had to follow... ...for one he did not want any dog and knife hunters there as they end up tearing the place up worse than the pigs do.... and he didn;t want any treestands put up or tree stand hunters either... ....

it was very hard to get in there and an atv could only go part of the way.... so once there we set up camp and stayed... and worked from that one place most of the time... only staying at his house when we first got there and after we got back.... most of the pigs we shot were carried to the same place where he dropped us off and left for him to pick up with his atv ...we radioed in ahead of time and he brought anything else we needed when he picked up the dead and bagged porks.... we cooked and ate a few of the smaller svelts in camp... .. and one big boar was too heavy to carry out so we radioed for help and he gathered some friends to hike all the way in and carry that one back to where the atv could operate....

most of our hunting trips are only 1 to 2 day excursions... and even those leave us feeling tired... so this one really wore us out.... but it was fun.... .there is a different group of hunters up there now....

Last edited:
thanks.... and thanks also for all of you who were asking about me.. ... it;s nice to know i was missed....;) .....

the hunting expedition was pretty awesome.... ....and in some very primitive conditions too - once we got to the place we worked from.... . we might do it again between now and the end of the year depending on what the land owner wants.....there was so much going on i could actually write a short novel about it ..but i will try to keep it brief and hit the basics only..... .

the guy we worked for owns a very large piece of land high up in the koolaus that;s mostly all pristine and untouched rainforest.... ..he wants to keep it that way and preserve it... but wild pigs have been there for years and recently their numbers were increasing and they were starting to having a bad impact on it.... .

so he hired several groups of us that are traditional archers - spot and stalk ground hunters... to go in one group at a time for a few days or weeks at a time and rid the place of as many pigs as we were able to... ...... he had a lot of rules relating to preservation and environmental integrity we had to follow... ...for one he did not want any dog and knife hunters there as they end up tearing the place up worse than the pigs do.... and he didn;t want any treestands put up or tree stand hunters either... ....

it was very hard to get in there and an atv could only go part of the way.... so once there we set up camp and stayed... and worked from that one place most of the time... only staying at his house when we first got there and after we got back.... most of the pigs we shot were carried to the same place where he dropped us off and left for him to pick up with his atv ...we radioed in ahead of time and he brought anything else we needed when he picked up the dead and bagged porks.... we cooked and ate a few of the smaller svelts in camp... .. and one big boar was too heavy to carry out so we radioed for help and he gathered some friends to hike all the way in and carry that one back to where the atv could operate....

most of our hunting trips are only 1 to 2 day excursions... and even those leave us feeling tired... so this one really wore us out.... but it was fun.... .there is a different group of hunters up there now....
That’s pretty cool. I’ve only been hog hunting once (probably ten years ago). I did get a small boar, and discovered that wild pig doesn’t taste quite the same as restaurant pig. 😬 I was using a slug in a shotgun. I imagine using an arrow would be wild stuff.

That’s pretty cool. I’ve only been hog hunting once (probably ten years ago). I did get a small boar, and discovered that wild pig doesn’t taste quite the same as restaurant pig. 😬 I was using a slug in a shotgun. I imagine using an arrow would be wild stuff.
wild hog does taste different than butcher shop or restaurant pork... . but i think wild hog tastes much better.... at least the ones that live in the mountains here do.... .. ..the emu baked - shredded kalua pork we get from it is second to none.... they don;t make good bacon though... . not enough fat on them.... it;s very lean.... very good chops when cut straight from a fresh kill and cooked in camp....

archery is the only way i have ever hunted...(with the exception of reef fishing underwater with snorkel..mask... fins and a sling spear.. ..that;s technically a kind of hunting)... .and i have never even shot a gun before - unless a daisy red ryder counts.... ....but you are correct in that it can be very difficult to get a good clean shot hunting any animal using a bow and arrow... even harder to get a clean shot from a safe position that will prevent a wounded pig from charging back at you.... that happened to me once several years ago.... ..but i learned a lot from the experience.... one of which was how fast i could climb a tree.... ..i had no idea i could get that far up there that quick... or that i could climb that fast while screaming at the same time... :sneaky:.

i actually lost a lot of arrows on this trip.... and broke a few too.... . ..which fits into one of the rules the land owner had.... no carbon or aluminum arrows.... they all had to be wood and fletched with natural feathers.... anything left up there had to be able to rot.. rust .. or otherwise bio-degrade... ... but i took a lot of arrows with me.... came back with only a few usable arrows left... .there are a few i think i can repair.... but they will only be good for the range .... ...thankfully i have a large supply of raw shafts ..feathers and arrow making materials on hand so i can make more.... ...

Last edited:
I've had wild boar, and I have to say, I actually preferred it to the store-bought pork! Much leaner and better for you!

I've had wild boar, and I have to say, I actually preferred it to the store-bought pork! Much leaner and better for you!
It is definitely much healthier for you…as for the taste, it requires a lot of effort to get rid of the gamy taste, although when done properly, it can be quite delicious. As Aleshanee pointed out, it could definitely depend on where the boar live and what they’re eating. For me, it was a one-time deal because I don’t want to put that level of effort into the prep work after a hunt.

It is definitely much healthier for you…as for the taste, it requires a lot of effort to get rid of the gamy taste, although when done properly, it can be quite delicious. As Aleshanee pointed out, it could definitely depend on where the boar live and what they’re eating. For me, it was a one-time deal because I don’t want to put that level of effort into the prep work after a hunt.
I can fully understand that! For me, the hunt was in Alabama years ago. It was a fairly densely forested area, and the boar itself apparently had been raised in the moars there. It didn't taste bad at all...just a little gamey. I've tasted wild boar this way and also when treated with things to take the "game" taste out of it. Both ways were delicious.

i don;t know what kind of conditions wild hogs on the mainland live in... or what would make them taste "gamey"...but i know that here - what people call a gamey taste.. is often the result of waiting too long to butcher and process an animal once it has been killed...

...dependent lividity... or a settling of blood and other body fluids towards the ground .... begins in a mammal almost immediately once the heart stops... and with the blood pressure completely gone fluids from the gut and internal organs and also from glandular tissue begin to seep into muscles and other parts of the carcass where it would not normally be in a living animal... specifically the meaty parts we intend to eat...... and once it happens the taste of those other body organs ..decomposing fluids ... and even waste fluids... will be in the muscle generally carved up and cooked for a meal .... and nothing will be able to remove it... . it can only be covered or disguised....

when we kill a wild hog we make every attempt to get to it before the heart stops beating.... that can be difficult and even dangerous.. but if it can be bled out with the assitance of it;s own heart pumping... and not just gravity working... it can make a big diffference in how the meat will taste....

and then as soon as the bleed out is underway we remove all internal organs and the gastro-intestinal tract immediately... leaving nothing but a hollow carcas of muscle and bone covered with hide... ..... then we tie the front and back legs together on each side... hook the front legs over over our shoulders and wear it like back pack to haul it out of the jungle... ..they can have a lot of fleas sometimes.. . so we always wear a knitted woolen ski cap that attracts and collects most of them to keep them off our heads.... if possible everything removed from pig is bagged and then removed from the rainforest as well... that was another hard and fast rule for this hunt... but we usually try to do that anyway unless other wild hogs beat us to it and cannibalize the innards of their former forest mate.....

then once back at the jeep or ATV - and the pig is tucked away... a plunge into the nearest body of water with soap in hand is advised.... castile soap.. extra strength.. unscented....

that was done 17 times during this last hunting trip.... but only with hogs we sent back with the land owner... the smaller svelts were taken back to camp and cooked for meals.... absolutely delicious meals too.... ...
:cool:

Last edited:
In our hunt it was hung dressed immediately after being shot... its heart was pumping if I remember correctly. They hung it by its hind legs in the tree. It was dangerous, for sure, but, some of those people from Alabama are just crazy enough to try to do this kind of thing!

In our hunt it was hung dressed immediately after being shot... its heart was pumping if I remember correctly. They hung it by its hind legs in the tree. It was dangerous, for sure, but, some of those people from Alabama are just crazy enough to try to do this kind of thing!
some of the wild hogs in alabama are at least twice as big as the biggest ones we have here......so if their heart is still pumping and they are still kicking when you get to them that could be very dangerous.... i;ve seen pictures of some that were over 600 pounds.... .. in hawaii 200 pounds is considered big... and 300 is a monster.... ..i always make my first approach to any downed pig with an arrow nocked.. ready to draw back and send it into his neck if he;s still kicking and tries to stand up.... i only had one stand back up when i approached him once... and i ran back a few yards.... but he didn;t chase... he just wobbled for a few seconds then fell over again....

our terrain is so mountainous and with so many crags and ravines that if i am by myself at that moment i can usually drag the back end of him by the legs to the higher point of ground or up onto a rock or fallen tree after cutting his carotid and jugulars.... then let that natural gravity assist as well... .... ..just so long he didn;t fall into a ravine or get stuck between boulders or trees.... ..but it;s never long before someone.. usually my dad.... is there with me and we hoist him in the nearest tree to finish the butchering job....

after that incident years ago when i got chased up a tree by a wounded hog i never shoot anymore unless i am close enough to guarantee putting an arrow through both lungs and the heart....15 to 20 yards usually..... they might jump and run a bit after that... but never far.... i have no idea what it would be like to hunt with guns....i only hunted on the mainland once... for elk .. and in the dead of winter... we got one but someone else took the shot.... i was so cold i couldn;t even get my mittens off.. and with all the shivering i doubt i could made an accurate shot anyway... but still, the elk was butchered the same way and just as quickly as we do with hogs here... . and to this day was the best meat of any game animal i ever tasted..... so at the table i didn;t give a rip who took the shot.... at least i was there to see it.... :)

and.... i just realized we totally hijacked this thread about tulsi gabbard.... ... sorry about that...:confused:.... but just to help get it back on track, i will say that i have no idea if tulsi gabbard hunts or not..... i did see her at the archery range once, many years ago.... around the time a lot of other iraq veterans were coming back and doing things like archery to help them with combat stress......

i have seen her much more often out surfing... and spoken to her a few times.... never about politics.... she is actually very friendly and personable.... much more so than you would expect someone who served in congress and ran for president to be.... .... and she can totally rip on the waves..... ..i have no idea what her next political move would be.... but if someone like donald trump or desantis picked her as a running mate i would be very surprised.... not really sure it would help their chances to win either..... ..she might help if she campaigns for them.... ...but that;s about it....

gabbardsurf.gif

i don;t know what kind of conditions wild hogs on the mainland live in... or what would make them taste "gamey"
Swamp hogs…trust me, it tastes like swamp BBQ. The Cajuns could probably do something with a swamp hog, but then again, they can prep coots and make them taste good! I’ve tried cooking coots on a few occasions and it still taste like dog poo.

Swamp hogs…trust me, it tastes like swamp BBQ. The Cajuns could probably do something with a swamp hog, but then again, they can prep coots and make them taste good! I’ve tried cooking coots on a few occasions and it still taste like dog poo.
ok...... ...i don;t know any cajuns... and.. at the risk of sounding very dumb.... what;s a coot?.... :confused:

i;m assuming it;s not the bird common to the pacific coast ... or the relative of that bird known as the hawaiian coot....
which we call alae ke'oke'o .. ..but then i never tried to eat one of those... so i don;t know..... :confused:

Hawaiian_Coot_RWD1.jpeg

Last edited:
ok...... ...i don;t know any cajuns... and.. at the risk of sounding very dumb.... what;s a coot?.... :confused:

i;m assuming it;s not the bird common to the pacific coast ... or the relative of that bird known as the hawaiian coot....
which we call alae ke'oke'o .. ..but then i never tried to eat one of those... so i don;t know..... :confused:

View attachment 3462
Yep…that’s a coot! They’re fun to hunt, but taste terrible. You can set some decoys out, but as can be seen by this coot shoot video, you don’t have to sit in a duck blind and blend in or call the them out like some ducks. Cajuns call coots “Pouldeau.”