Understanding a False Rumor

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
At least this one is harmless.

Robby the Robot became a science fiction legend in the 1956 film, Forbidden Planet. He's so popular with science fiction fans that he has appeared in a variety of films and TV shows.

And someone thought they saw him in the background of Watto's junk shop in the Star Wars film, "The Phantom Menace." Numerous Star Wars fansites  and Robby fansites state as fact that he appears in the film. My wife is a Star Wars fanatic, and we watched the DVD but couldn't spot Robby. Today she checked a variety of fansites stating that he appears in the film, but none showed any pictures. Then she slow-motioned the entire sequence in the junk shop. There are several pieces of junked robots in the background, but none of them look like Robby.

Robby the Robot has never appeared in a Star Wars film.

Of course, this one is harmless. But be careful about what you believe on the internet. A large number of unreliable witnesses is not sufficient proof.

Vince Massi said:

Robby the Robot became a science fiction legend in the 1956 film, Forbidden Planet. He's so popular with science fiction fans that he has appeared in a variety of films and TV shows.

And someone thought they saw him in the background of Watto's junk shop in the Star Wars film, "The Phantom Menace." Numerous Star Wars fansites  and Robby fansites state as fact that he appears in the film. My wife is a Star Wars fanatic, and we watched the DVD but couldn't spot Robby. Today she checked a variety of fansites stating that he appears in the film, but none showed any pictures. Then she slow-motioned the entire sequence in the junk shop. There are several pieces of junked robots in the background, but none of them look like Robby.

Of course, this one is harmless. But be careful about what you believe on the internet. A large number of unreliable witnesses is not sufficient proof.

I'm sure it shows up in one of the many Lucas edits. LOL

Like the junkyard scene in The Phantom Menace, I've gone over Vince's post several times frame-by-frame. Rumours to the contrary, there doesn't appear to be any significant points made.

Vince Massi said:

Let Trump know.  He'll tweet about it.  Possibly an executive order.