Update on First Baptist Church of Hammond

bgwilkinson said:
Look who's on the organ.

12141612_10200955356163687_5325255033056836030_n.jpg

LOL!  Who else would we expect....she's been at that position  for decades.  In fact, I attended FBC from the late 60's through the early 90's and can only remember 3 playing the church organ for a church service...Colsten, Godfrey, and Lanoue.  Another 3 men I can remember playing for the Pastor's class or a graduation.....Olsen, Zachary and J Smith.  That's very few over a quarter of a century!

The Colsten's have been extremely faithful servants for many years....they're great people!

tobytyler said:
bgwilkinson said:
Look who's on the organ.

12141612_10200955356163687_5325255033056836030_n.jpg

LOL!  Who else would we expect....she's been at that position  for decades.  In fact, I attended FBC from the late 60's through the early 90's and can only remember 3 playing the church organ for a church service...Colsten, Godfrey, and Lanoue.  Another 3 men I can remember playing for the Pastor's class or a graduation.....Olsen, Zachary and J Smith.  That's very few over a quarter of a century!

The Colsten's have been extremely faithful servants for many years....they're great people!

There's only One that's Great.

Baptist City Holdout said:
Colsten with a small "g."
God with a capital "G."

Good men/women.

Great God.

Famous quote from well known person.

Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Who is that well known person?

One thing I am picking up on since having begun to attend a different church is the fact there IS a lot of misplaced admiration / adulation at FBC Hammond. I cannot speak for other IFB churches, as FBC is the one with which I am most acquainted. At FBC we SAY we only worship the Lord Jesus Christ and not man...but every speaker/ ministry leader is given a gushing, glowing introduction that really serves to put the focus on the person and not the Savior. At the church I now attend, in over 6 months I have heard the pastor tell only one personal story, and that was to give an update to the congregation on the near death of his baby daughter. Guest speakers / ministry leaders are introduced by name, and not with glowing effusions as to how great a Christian they are. Content is allowed to speak for itself and the listener is not primed or exhorted as to how he or she should receive / respond.
Additionally, At FBC, there is still a mindset that the church itself is something to idolize...many who are asked to pray publically during the services are faithful to thank God for This Great Church. I know you may think, what is wrong with thanking God for one's church? Perhaps it is the superlative that bothers me. "Great" is sure tossed around a lot...it begins to mean nothing.

My husband prefers I not use the expression, "I am proud...", as in telling a student, " I am so proud of you for getting an A!" My husband states that pride is a sin. I counter with, I don't LITERALLY mean I have sinful pride...I am just pleased for the student and happy for the accomplishment. He says, "Then say that. Don't say you are proud." I get it. Words have meaning...

So building this person, that ministry, the sermon, the church as great is perhaps a little careless effusiveness that does serve to diminish the One who truly IS Great?!

Bruh said:
God with a capital "G."

Good men/women.

Great God.

The Colstens are nice people with admirable character traits.
Our God is full of Awe.

These clarifications are adding to my posts per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please pray for Mrs Colsten as she goes into the hospital Oct. 26, 2015 for surgery. She will be out for a few weeks.

bgwilkinson said:
Bruh said:
God with a capital "G."

Good men/women.

Great God.

The Colstens are nice people with admirable character traits.
Our God is full of Awe.

These clarifications are adding to my posts per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please pray for Mrs Colsten as she goes into the hospital Oct. 26, 2015 for surgery. She will be out for a few weeks.

Yes. Thanks for sharing.

Teri in NC said:
Am I the only 80's HACker that finds it difficult to see SM on the platform?

I could always see him just fine. He is not small. :)

Teri in NC said:
I'm an 80's HACker and have no idea who SM is.  I'm assuming it's Stuart Mason and I didn't know him or ever heard of him while I was at HAC.

IFB X-Files said:
Teri in NC said:
I'm an 80's HACker and have no idea who SM is.  I'm assuming it's Stuart Mason and I didn't know him or ever heard of him while I was at HAC.

Here is a nice family pic.
Stuart, wife and daughters

11954688_929931210386500_1917136861780797301_n.jpg

bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
Teri in NC said:

Nice Penske photobomb!

IFB X-Files said:
bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
Teri in NC said:

Nice Penske photobomb!

Might be moving going on.

Teri in NC said:

He would say the same thing about you if you were on the platform.

Two things:
1)  You ain't never lied.
2)  I would never sit up there for fear of lightning.

IFB X-Files said:
Teri in NC said:

I know he was there 82-86.  When were you?

bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
Teri in NC said:

Nice Penske photobomb!

Might be moving going on.

Duh.  :)

Kevin Walker Family Singers are providing the entertainment at FBCH tonight.

12088402_10156049976165136_9109241429993774848_n.jpg