Update on First Baptist Church of Hammond

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
It has been quite some time since we have had an update from BGW on this thread.

Word on the ground is HAC Spring 2017 enrollment is about 350 and the budget is severely in the red making continuing long term operations doubtful. There was a mass exodus after the Fall 2016 Semester.

This is a businessman's view. Those in control will continue until zero enrolled students is reached. If this were a business it would have already ceased operation.

One wonders if the point at which the balance of harm done to good done has been reached. In either case it's all downhill from here. There is little reason to believe that those in charge know what to do to stop the hemorrhaging. And if they knew what to do, would be willing to do it since it may involve losing face and the admission of the mountain of errors so deftly served to the students in the past.

Speculation is that the Hammond Bible institute was started as a way to continue an education option when operations at HAC cease. Hyles' philosophies are clutching HAC in their cold death grip. Prognosis for recovery is not hopeful contrary to what those in charge believe.

The past has caught the present and is sucking all the life out of those who come from out of town. Few FBCH and Hammond Baptist youths are willing to throw their lives away to please the pastor.

Smoke and mirrors only work for a time.

The last gasp president is one who was run out their church employment after a couple of months on the job.

There is little call today for the things that once were defining characteristics of HAC. Nostalgia lives on only in those older folks not in the young.

If this be the case, the end is in sight.

I think they made a big mistake in not relocating the church to the St John area.  I'd suggest selling the HAC campus and moving what's left to Hammond but how many families are going to want to send their 18 year old daughter to school there?

Jrock said:
I'm no expert,but if 350 students at HAC is an indication that the college is dying then how do they compare with other IFB colleges? A successful IFB college is probably one which has about 1000 students such as West Coast baptist College. But many IFB colleges are probably way below the 1000 mark.

WCBC is way below the 1000 mark as well, about 700-800 currently. I'm not shocked though, their tuition is way too high.

TheRealJonStewart said:
Jrock said:
I'm no expert,but if 350 students at HAC is an indication that the college is dying then how do they compare with other IFB colleges? A successful IFB college is probably one which has about 1000 students such as West Coast baptist College. But many IFB colleges are probably way below the 1000 mark.

WCBC is way below the 1000 mark as well, about 700-800 currently. I'm not shocked though, their tuition is way too high.

That's actually not a bad number in today's IFB college world.

How about a recent update?

BALAAM said:
Once again: There is a little more to the story about the Spanish church splitting off. It is not just the neat little divide to multiply that you will hear from the fbc folks.

Remember: You heard it here on the FFF!!!

would be interested in someone expanding on this

Regardless of why the split happened the results have been positive.

I understand the sum of the parts (divided) is much greater than the sum of the whole.

A sacrifice (investment) in members by one groups has reaped an increase (large dividend) for the cause of Christ.

I wonder what our nation and the number of fundamental churches would look like today if more of the "Great Churches" of the 70's and 80's would have practiced the divide and multiply model instead of seeking to be the "biggest" and "greatest" church in America.

sword said:

I understand the sum of the parts (divided) is much greater than the sum of the whole.

A sacrifice (investment) in members by one groups has reaped an increase (large dividend) for the cause of Christ.

I wonder what our nation and the number of fundamental churches would look like today if more of the "Great Churches" of the 70's and 80's would have practiced the divide and multiply model instead of seeking to be the "biggest" and "greatest" church in America.

I don't know how we would ever find out, but it would be interesting to see how the churches Lee Roberson started out of HP are doing today.

RAIDER said:
sword said:

I don't know how we would ever find out, but it would be interesting to see how the churches Lee Roberson started out of HP are doing today.

Bema.

labaptist said:
I think they made a big mistake in not relocating the church to the St John area.  I'd suggest selling the HAC campus and moving what's left to Hammond but how many families are going to want to send their 18 year old daughter to school there?
I understand the area around the Church is going down hill fast.

How bad is the crime in downtown Hammond and its surrounding neighborhoods?   

sword said:
labaptist said:
I understand the area around the Church is going down hill fast.

How bad is the crime in downtown Hammond and its surrounding neighborhoods? 
Going down?!? ???  LIke it was 'up' before? ??? :p

HBHS Class of 2017
How low can it go?

18342247_1649852928376947_5528983220641838918_n.jpg

Same size as my graduating class at a Christian school and it thrived for quite a while at these numbers.  Then after about 10 years it nearly went under and then it rebounded and is doing fairly well now.

Twisted said:
bgwilkinson said:

Do I see open-toed shoes??

For ordinary Biblical non-nudity clothing issues:
Tit 1:15  Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

How low of a number in comparison to previous years?

They are a wonderful group of young people. May they be aware of God blessing their daily lives and guiding their future paths. My graduating class from a private Catholic high school was not too terribly much larger, some 35+ years ago.  And that school still thrives.

bgwilkinson said:
HBHS Class of 2017
How low can it go?

18342247_1649852928376947_5528983220641838918_n.jpg

As BG rubs his hands together with glee...