Valentine Banquet

LongGone

Elect
Reaction score
Always a big HAC event.  I thought of it because I proposed to my ex-wife 35 years ago today at the Valentine Banquet.  Unbelievable how quickly life goes by and how different life is that what I anticipated 35 years. No complaints...just didn't follow the script I had planned.

The banquet was the the Holiday Inn in Merrillville. Lovest Thou Me was the theme. I remember Donna Johnson sang. Can't remember much else. I do remember proposing in front of the cigarette machine (not real suave). It actually took her two days to make up her mind. Of course we rode on the college buses and it was bitter cold.

Dating at HAC was interesting to say the least. Marriage lasted 18 years and produced two wonderful sons.

Any other memories from HAC Valentine Banquets?

I worked in the kitchen for 3 banquets then I took a date for 3 banquets. My last year there I had just met my wife to be and I didn't think she would go with me. So I took someone else as just friends and my wife has held it against me ever since.

So tomorrow I have reservations @ Ruth's Chris.

I remember a Valentine's Banquet where Bill Pennell preached "A Stroll Down Lover's Lane".

Went once with the girlfriend I knew was going to be my wife. Loved every minute of it, especially the music.

...then she broke up with me.  :D

Went back one other time to work in it. Did the spotlight for the play. Hated every stinkin' minute of all that mush...

<signed, Awfully Lonely Graduate Desperately Seeking a Wife So He Can Go Into the Ministry>

I went to the Valentine Banquet with my future husband. I was so excited my mom made me a beautiful dress and Carolyn Sellers fixed my hair. She did a great job! I can't tell you one thing about the event but I loved being with my date. We've been together for 38 years... 8)

Frosh year, I wasn't dating anyone.
Another student had secured a date, and asked me to borrow a suit, since I wasn't going.
I had one black suit, that I had been saving. 
I hadn't worn it at College. 
It was for Weddings, Funerals, etc.
I offered him my other suits, and he said "It has to be black".
I didn't really want to let him borrow my new suit, that had been purchased for me, tailored to fit me...(I had grown up relatively poor, and had never been in a men's clothing store before the day that I was given that suit)

I told him to pick it up after work the day before the banquet.
He insisted that he must have it that day (8 days before the banquet), so he could try it on, and make sure everything was right, since the girl of his dreams had said "yes".
Very reluctantly, I handed over my one nice thing that I owned.

Wouldn't you know, that HACker wore my suit every day that next week!

I wanted to puke!

When the banquet was over, he stalled returning it, through the next weekend, and on monday said "I'm gonna get it cleaned, before I return it."
I told him that I didn't want it back, that I had seen him wear it every day, and that he must really need it.

To this day, I've never owned another suit that was anywhere near that quality, and certainly not a tailored suit.

The man who got my suit is a missionary, now. 
He didn't marry the girl he went with that night.

I asked a girl to a dinner for a missionary, held in the Eagle's nest, our first date, and we have been married now for almost 20 years.

That was a crazy week.

prophet thank you for your  story...your reward is in heaven

prophet said:
Frosh year, I wasn't dating anyone.
Another student had secured a date, and asked me to borrow a suit, since I wasn't going.
I had one black suit, that I had been saving. 
I hadn't worn it at College. 
It was for Weddings, Funerals, etc.
I offered him my other suits, and he said "It has to be black".
I didn't really want to let him borrow my new suit, that had been purchased for me, tailored to fit me...(I had grown up relatively poor, and had never been in a men's clothing store before the day that I was given that suit)

I told him to pick it up after work the day before the banquet.
He insisted that he must have it that day (8 days before the banquet), so he could try it on, and make sure everything was right, since the girl of his dreams had said "yes".
Very reluctantly, I handed over my one nice thing that I owned.

Wouldn't you know, that HACker wore my suit every day that next week!

I wanted to puke!

When the banquet was over, he stalled returning it, through the next weekend, and on monday said "I'm gonna get it cleaned, before I return it."
I told him that I didn't want it back, that I had seen him wear it every day, and that he must really need it.

To this day, I've never owned another suit that was anywhere near that quality, and certainly not a tailored suit.

The man who got my suit is a missionary, now. 
He didn't marry the girl he went with that night.

I asked a girl to a dinner for a missionary, held in the Eagle's nest, our first date, and we have been married now for almost 20 years.

That was a crazy week.

That is a great story!  If Dr. Hyles had told that story some would say he had made it up.  :)

IFB X-Files said:
Sherryh said:
prophet thank you for your  story...your reward is in heaven

as well as your brand new, purchased by Someone else, custom-tailored white robe.

Sorry, I've already put in a request to borrow that one.

Tennessean said:
I worked in the kitchen for 3 banquets then I took a date for 3 banquets. My last year there I had just met my wife to be and I didn't think she would go with me. So I took someone else as just friends and my wife has held it against me ever since.

The 2nd year I took a date to the banquet I learned just how Carol Frye could be. I had asked a girl I really liked to go with me. She said yes and I was so happy. About a week before the banquet the girl told me we had a slight problem. She said CF had inspected her dress and said it was too low. She altered it 4 times and CF failed it 4 times. Finally the day of the banquet CF was unavailable so Dr. Jorgensens sec looked at it, said it was really nice and approved it.

I wouldn't give you a dime for CF

Tennessean said:
Tennessean said:

The 2nd year I took a date to the banquet I learned just how Carol Frye could be. I had asked a girl I really liked to go with me. She said yes and I was so happy. About a week before the banquet the girl told me we had a slight problem. She said CF had inspected her dress and said it was too low. She altered it 4 times and CF failed it 4 times. Finally the day of the banquet CF was unavailable so Dr. Jorgensens sec looked at it, said it was really nice and approved it.

Tennessean's song...
Wouldn't give nuthin' for my Carol now...
She aint going to heaven no how...
She almost spoiled my date but JJ turned it around...
She stuck her nose where it didn't belong
Caused me grief and ruined my song...
If I could still I wouldn't give nuthin' for my CF now!

16KJV11 said:
Tennessean said:
Tennessean said:

Tennessean's song...
Wouldn't give nuthin' for my Carol now...
She aint going to heaven no how...
She almost spoiled my date but JJ turned it around...
She stuck her nose where it didn't belong
Caused me grief and ruined my song...
If I could still I wouldn't give nuthin' for my CF now!

LOL

Remember Carol goes across the country speaking so she might remember you  ;D

Sherryh said:
Remember Carol goes across the country speaking so she might remember you  ;D

Does she go across the country or can you just hear her around the country from one end to the other?

I know she travels to California ...I've never heard her in years :)

Sherryh said:
I know she travels to California ...I've never heard her in years :)

I am being sarcastic. She was always just a little 'loud'.

loud she yelled at everything...I was never a fan she is a friend on facebook :eek:

I don't think that I have a reward coming for giving someone a suit, because he had worn it so much, that I didn't want it touching my skin again.
I don't know how dry cleaning works, but I can't imagine that wool fibers are able to be completely sterilized that way.
I know I sent a suit in, to be cleaned once, it had coffee spilled on it, a cream suit, and it came back still stained.
My wife grabbed some bottle she had, sprayed it on , waited a minute, scrubbed the spot, and the stain was gone.

Anyway, the poor guy had practically moved in to my suit.
It really wasn't mine anymore.

And that incident had no cause and effect relationship to him being on the Mission Field now.
That is the part the they would say Bro. Hyles made up...

;)