Vietnam War

after vietnam the laws were changed and judges can no longer give a person the choice between jail or the military.
That’s a very cool story…I actually didn’t know that was a thing back in the day.

That’s a very cool story…I actually didn’t know that was a thing back in the day.
it was one of those military traditions held over from the british... a large number of the enlisted red coats that fought against the u.s in the revolutionary war were convicts who had been forced to join the english military.... so it is surprising the u.s. government didn;t outlaw the practice sooner.....

have you ever seen one of these before?........ ...it was the jeep that the military used in vietnam..... but it was replaced by the humvee a few years after the war ended... and unlike other military surplus vehicles the government refused to sell this one to the public.... . most were destroyed but rare examples of them do exist.... we have a friend on the north shore who owns one....... my dad has wanted one of these ever since he first drove that one our friend owns... ...it;s entirely an offroad vehicle... very capable.... but was not built for highways or paved roads..... ..in fact people who own them cannot even get them licensed or registered in most states.... . they are too easy to overturn...... .

493e3edf4157fb22b63fde18c9c308c6.jpg

it was one of those military traditions held over from the british... a large number of the enlisted red coats that fought against the u.s in the revolutionary war were convicts who had been forced to join the english military.... so it is surprising the u.s. government didn;t outlaw the practice sooner.....

have you ever seen one of these before?........ ...it was the jeep that the military used in vietnam..... but it was replaced by the humvee a few years after the war ended... and unlike other military surplus vehicles the government refused to sell this one to the public.... . most were destroyed but rare examples of them do exist.... we have a friend on the north shore who owns one....... my dad has wanted one of these ever since he first drove that one our friend owns... ...it;s entirely an offroad vehicle... very capable.... but was not built for highways or paved roads..... ..in fact people who own them cannot even get them licensed or registered in most states.... . they are too easy to overturn...... .

View attachment 3574
I’ve seen similar models in museums, but never had an opportunity to drive or ride in an old war Jeep. That would be very cool.

I’ve seen similar models in museums, but never had an opportunity to drive or ride in an old war Jeep. That would be very cool.
though they can look similar at first glance.... the vietnam jeep is very different from the world war 2 jeep.... (the old rat patrol classic).. .... while the vietnam version is rare, there are still a lot of old ww2 jeeps on the road - as well in museums.... ... ..you can still find them for sale too.... but the price of one in decent shape gets higher and higher every year.... we know several people on the island who own them and they wouldn;t part with them for any amount of money....
d5c373cd840af065c6e48c64fa53c4b0.jpeg

have you ever seen one of these before?........ ...it was the jeep that the military used in vietnam.....
The classic WW2 Jeep design was by Willys-Overland, but they couldn't produce them fast enough, so Ford made copies to pick up the slack.

That Vietnam-era jeep is actually a Ford--but the classic 7-slot vertical grille was still trademarked by Willys, so Ford had to design their own version, which is why the grille is horizontal rather than vertical. American Motors purchased Willys-Overland in the 1950s, so when they started producing Humvees, they had the right to use the vertical grille design.

The classic WW2 Jeep design was by Willys-Overland, but they couldn't produce them fast enough, so Ford made copies to pick up the slack.

That Vietnam-era jeep is actually a Ford--but the classic 7-slot vertical grille was still trademarked by Willys, so Ford had to design their own version, which is why the grille is horizontal rather than vertical. American Motors purchased Willys-Overland in the 1950s, so when they started producing Humvees, they had the right to use the vertical grille design.
mostly true.... but it;s actually a lot more complicated than that.... and if you will notice the willys overland jeep in the lower picture i posted actually has 9 vertical grill slots.... and also recessed headlights that can swivel back to light up the engine during repairs... ...those and few other unique features indicate it was made specifically for the military during world war 2.... (mba1).. ..it;s also the jeep most highly sought after...

after the war willys overland company continued making jeeps only now for both civilian and military use - with a 7 slot grill design - saying it was to show that jeep was being driven on all 7 continents.... they also changed the headlight design to a fixed bulb that partially protruded from the grill in both military and civilian versions.... but in most other ways it looked very similar to the old ww2 mba1...

when amc (kaiser) took over jeep...(1953)... they redesigned the vehicle and the jeep everybody knows as the renegade came out... it was also produced in both civilian (CJ5).... and military versions..(m38a1 - which is the one my dad has)..... both kept the 7 slot grill design, and were very similar in appearance to each other and also performance... .. (they also built the bigger ammunition hauler which was eventually modified into the jeep cherokee for civilians - - my dad had one of those too but sold it a couple of years ago.)

but for vietnam the military wanted a vehical that was even more capable and specifically designed for jungles and the vietnam terrain..... so they went back to ford - and ford came out with the jeep in the first picture i posted..which is actually known as the mutt.... (m151a2)..... 6 horicontal grill slots... (since amc owned the 7 slot design)..... and with features that actually made it dangerous for civilian use... which is why they refused to sell them intact to the public once the military stopped using them and went back to amc for the humvee....... ...

the mutt m151a2 my dads friend owns had actually been cut in half by the military when he first aquired it..... so he had a major welding and reconstruction job to do to get it back together.....

pictured below is a jeep/kaiser m38a1 which saw use in vietnam before being replaced by the m151a2.... .this jeep was also modified as the CJ5 for civilian use... the
classic jeep renegade.... ....my dads jeep is actually an old m38a1 very similar to the one shown below.... . his is beat up quite a bit more than this one is....lots
of rust and faded spots on it.... and has a homemade tarp/cover made out of old salvaged sail canvas...... i would show a picture of it but i was respectfully
asked not to..... so i found this one....

m39a1jeep.jpeg

another restored and well preserved - ford built 151a2 (aka m.u.t.t.).. that took over for the jeep shown above in vietnam.. .this is the one my dad woul love to have... so would i since
i do all the off road driving now days when we go into the mountains and rainforest to hunt......

1968-ford-m151a-4x4-military-radio-jeep.jpeg

Last edited:
When I was growing up in rural Pennsylvania, A lof of guys owned these. Most were parked at their hunting cabins, or in a shed out back, and used for hauling stuff and pulling tractors out of the mud. I'd love to have one. They were fun to drive, but the heaters were dismal. No radio.
I always loved them. We had several over the years I was part owner of the autobody shops.

When I was growing up in rural Pennsylvania, A lof of guys owned these. Most were parked at their hunting cabins, or in a shed out back, and used for hauling stuff and pulling tractors out of the mud. I'd love to have one. They were fun to drive, but the heaters were dismal. No radio.
i never even thought about needing a heater on a jeep before... .. our old jeep we use for hunting has the heater disconnected... the heater hoses feed right back into each other with a pipe that has a valve on it for flushing the radiator.... ..not much need for heaters here in the tropics.... in fact - even the heater in the old grandwagoneer we had was disconnected.... with the heater hoses done the same way.... ....

Last edited:
Unfortunately we lost that war to keep communism off our shores. It just got snuck in through a back door (Hollywood, colleges and now K-12 public schools…and I hate to say, the ideology is even being trickled in through some churches).
one good thing that came out of the vietnam war... (and maybe the only good thing)...was advances in emergency trauma medicine and treatments..... this was something we covered in depth when i was in pre-med..... things learned in vietnam saved the lives of thousands of wounded soldiers in iraq and afghanistan that would have been lost in previous wars.... and all of that was transferred to the way first responders and emergency rooms treat trauma victims in the civilian world... . where the things learned in warfare has saved even more lives.... ....

it;s an unfortunate reality that war time is when these kinds of advances that end up benefitting the civilian world are made..... ..warfare is a time of continual trial and error for medical personnel with virtually unlimited injured subjects to work on and learn from....