Was Jesus Homeless?

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
Was Jesus Homeless?

Two weeks ago Craig Edwards was at our Church and he spoke about Jesus being basically a man with no desirable features, homeless, and that Judas kissed him to identify him becasue Jesus was unidentifiable. He referenced Isaiah 53:2

I forgot about it honestly, but then I read his post on Facebook.

Made a post about the REAL JESUS the other night, and it REALLY SHOCKED me with the negative response I got from so many pastors!!! Been thinking about it, and really, it SHOULD NOT HAVE SUPRISED ME.....AT ALL!!!!! Most fundamental pastors think Jesus was the blonde haired, blue-eyed, man they see in pictures, wearing a white robe, with smooth skin, pearly white teeth, and a knock out smile. They can't handle....not at all.....the REAL JESUS!!!! Jesus would not be welcome in their churches, not to even think about Him standing in the pulpit. He was homeless...like it or not. He slept in what He wore, and wore what He slept in, like it or not. He sat down with, and was a friend to sinners, like it or not. He loved people, and ministered to them RIGHT WHERE THEY WERE, like it or not. There was nothing desirable about His outward appearance....nothing!!!!! You might say, "That's Not My Jesus!!!" EXACTLY!!!!!!!! YOUR JESUS and the JESUS OF THE BIBLE ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!!!! Here it is, if MEN accepted the real Jesus.....the JESUS OF THE BIBLE......that alone would destroy their false perception that, "GOD'S MEN DESERVE THE BEST!!!" It might cause someone to have to part with their luxurious lifestyles...... if they sought to emulate the REAL JESUS!!!!!! Preachers/Pastors, for the most part, don't have a clue......NOT A CLUE....as to what REAL MINISTRY is about, including myself!!!! I haven't done that much suffering (mostly, just petty criticism ), or made that many costly sacrifices for the cause of Christ. Just being real!!!! I have looked at, considered, and thought about, the REAL JESUS, and what it looks like to put it in shoe leather and imitate Him. Let me tell you what has happened: It has caused many to hate me, and cut me off, and even LIE ABOUT me, because the more I Try to IMITATE HIM, the more UNLIKE THEM I BECOME!!!! If you think I'm jealous or bitter, you are so far from the truth. I wouldn't trade my present relationship with JESUS for anything this world has to offer. I don't mean to be mean, but if you want to defriend me......help yourself. As of now, I have over 5000 friends, (I'm sure that will change) and well over a thousand requests from people who are waiting to take your place! Many ministries are not ministries because they revolve around man/men, not around JESUS!!!! Most churches have become theaters, where church people come to be entertained, and have someone confirm what they already believe. So many evangelists and pastors
are up to their eyeballs in politics, and sensationalism!!! You don't have to click like, it might make you look bad, but I am telling the TRUTH, and that's what God called me to do. I'm sure there are those who feel that I am only hurting myself; well, if telling the truth hurts me.....I'll be in good company!!!!!

I stopped reading after the second or third !!!!!!!!. Nobody wants to be screamed at.

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset with any of that.

The only "home" Jesus had that we are aware of is His parents home.  Whether He "worked" out of that location it never says.  I'm sure He had more than the outfit He wore and the Bible says nothing about most of the logistics of His travel.

I'm sure He "slept over" at the home of His disciples when needed, took a bath when needed and got haircuts.  Never mentioned, just assumed.

Without a doubt He was an Android user, but why brag about it?

Ransom said:
I stopped reading after the second or third !!!!!!!!. Nobody wants to be screamed at.

Apparently half our country likes it.

angry_trump_0.jpg

Tim said:
Was Jesus Homeless?

Two weeks ago Craig Edwards was at our Church and he spoke about Jesus being basically a man with no desirable features, homeless, and that Judas kissed him to identify him becasue Jesus was unidentifiable. He referenced Isaiah 53:2

It's not entirely fair to compare the culture of Jesus' day with current American culture.

Yes, Jesus looked like any other Jew, and it seems clear that Judas' kiss was for the purpose of identification.

Homeless? Well, technically, since He didn't own or rent a home, but I don't consider that to be the same thing as some homeless people today.  I met a man who is "homeless" on purpose - he doesn't want to pay the expenses associated with a home, so he is "homeless" - but content to be so, and not demanding that I give him money to support his choices.

Walt is correct in the comparison of cultures.

Regardless, this is still moving to me...

Controversial_religious_sculpture_coming_2768660000_15847568_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

They said, ?Rabbi? (which means ?Teacher?), ?where are you staying??

?Come,? he replied, ?and you will see.?

So they went and saw where he was staying, and they spent that day with him. It was about four in the afternoon. (John 1:38-39)

Jesus was perhaps homeless in the sense that being an itinerant rabbi, he traveled from place to place and had no permanent address. It seems clear from the  above that he my have rented lodging or stayed with friends or family.  He wasn't homeless in the sense of being destitute and unable to afford a roof over his head.

There is indirect evidence that Jesus, though perhaps not the wealthiest man, had means. He had a trade. His disciples had their needs met, and collectively they had enough money that Judas, the treasurer, could steal from the purse, apparently without raising suspicion. And the Roman soldiers at his crucifixion noted the good quality of his garments; he didn't wear rags.

Ransom said:
They said, ?Rabbi? (which means ?Teacher?), ?where are you staying??

?Come,? he replied, ?and you will see.?

So they went and saw where he was staying, and they spent that day with him. It was about four in the afternoon. (John 1:38-39)

Jesus was perhaps homeless in the sense that being an itinerant rabbi, he traveled from place to place and had no permanent address. It seems clear from the  above that he my have rented lodging or stayed with friends or family.  He wasn't homeless in the sense of being destitute and unable to afford a roof over his head.

There is indirect evidence that Jesus, though perhaps not the wealthiest man, had means. He had a trade. His disciples had their needs met, and collectively they had enough money that Judas, the treasurer, could steal from the purse, apparently without raising suspicion. And the Roman soldiers at his crucifixion noted the good quality of his garments; he didn't wear rags.

Good points. But I wonder if there were times of destitution. For example, they carried no food when the multitude was fed. They grazed from the fields on the Sabbath. Peter had to literally "fish" for a coin to pay tribute.

Smellin Coffee said:
Good points. But I wonder if there were times of destitution. For example, they carried no food when the multitude was fed.

Jesus had retreated to a solitary place, but when he was followed by thousands of people, he had compassion on them and healed the sick among them until evening. Perhaps the lack of food had something to do with an unexpected delay in a remote location; the disciples suggested allowing the crowd to go into nearby villages and buy food (Matt. 14:15). Philip remarks that they couldn't afford to feed everyone (John 6:7), but that's hardly evidence that they couldn't afford to feed themselves.

They grazed from the fields on the Sabbath.

Again, the fact that they were traveling through grain fields only suggests that there wasn't food for sale nearby (and it was the Sabbath in any case), so they made do by gleaning in the fields. The text says they were hungry, not that they couldn't afford to eat. Maybe they just wanted a snack.

Peter had to literally "fish" for a coin to pay tribute.

"Had to"? Where does the Bible say that?

Of course, I can also add that you've missed the point of all three stories.

Ransom said:
Of course, I can also add that you've missed the point of all three stories.

I wasn't talking about the point about the three stories. I was observing actions within those stories. Not that it matters to you anyway.

Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:
I was observing actions within those stories.

"Observing" means "inferring without sufficient warrant" now?

What I mean is, I wasn't making points about the stories as application of truth. I was just making observations which may or may not be correct because there aren't enough details. This means I admit those details are mere speculation on my part.