We Are Dealing With Progressives In Our Town

The Rogue Tomato said:
Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
5.  Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;

Ah, so it's sort of like Unitarian, where the search for the truth is highly valued, but if you actually find it you don't belong in that church anymore? 

7.  Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth;

Yes, we should follow everything Jesus taught us about global warming.

The thought process is that it falls under the principle of loving one's neighbor: preserving the earth's resources for future generations.

It's a misplaced priority, IMO, and (again IMO) doesn't belong in any creed or mission statement. 

But you didn't address #5.  Jesus spoke in absolutes quite often.  Truth, itself, is absolute.  There is value in questioning, but only if it leads to the truth.  I have a feeling #5 is more of a "your truth has just as much value as his truth" deal.

Truth is absolute, no doubt. But our perceptions and interpretations of what that truth is, is relative to understanding, belief structure, religious exposure, etc.

aleshanee said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Outside of LGBTLSMFT rights and denying the virgin birth, what is progressive theology?

Short answer- It's pagan religion.

Actually, it's more about the gospel that Jesus lived and taught as opposed to the gospel about what Jesus did.

dictionary.com about 'pagan':

adjective

4. of, relating to, or characteristic of pagans.
5. Disparaging and Offensive.
a.  relating to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim.
b.  irreligious or hedonistic.
c.  (of a person) uncivilized or unenlightened.

I'm guessing you believe that believing and practicing faith in regards to what Jesus taught and how He lived is pagan.

no offense mr coffee....... but that is wrong....... progressive christianity is little more than buddhism in a churchy cloak........ all that is missing is the buddhists belief in reincarnation.... and yet..... i know of at least one christian progressive who claims she believes in that too........

it was progressive ideology that destroyed the church i use to attend........ although they will tell you the church is stronger now in my opinion the day they accepted the gay advocates agenda and began performing and sanctioning same sex weddings they ceased to be a church....... they are nothing more than a gay wedding service that operates out of the building where a church once met.......... .... the person i mentioned in the first paragraph still attends there and says she sees nothing wrong with buddhist philosophy ... even muslim beliefs........ she says many people in the church now believe Jesus and mohammed were both prophets serving the same God......

but what is most troubling is her belief that one day all churches will be just like hers......and that the courts will one day demand it...... because in the meantime....until that happens.... they are all practicing bigotry....

No offense taken.

Some of Jesus' teachings were similar with the teachings of Buddha:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2000/02/Jesus-And-Buddha-The-Parallel-Sayings.aspx#

I understand that "progressive" is simply a blanket label for various beliefs.

Oh, and it is against the Constitution for government to get involved in religion so if the courts demand it, shame on them and the ideal that courts control religious dogma should be confronted and fought against. Whether that be a Baptist church, a Muslim mosque, a Jewish synagogue, etc.

Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Actually, it's more about the gospel that Jesus lived and taught as opposed to the gospel about what Jesus did.

These are different?

Dunno. We don't have all the recorded teachings of Jesus.

We have all the recorded teachings. We might be missing some that were not recorded.

So based on what we do know, these are different?

For starters, where did Jesus teach about the necessity for blood atonement for the forgiveness of sins and that His death, burial and resurrection were to replace once-and-for-all the sacrificial system of the OT?

The ideal of faith and repentance are similarly agreeable, however.
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many...

And I deliberately picked a very early non-Pauline text.

Or would you rather look at the Last Supper with the words Jesus used and the symbols He selected?

Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:

These are different?

We have all the recorded teachings. We might be missing some that were not recorded.

For starters, where did Jesus teach about the necessity for blood atonement for the forgiveness of sins and that His death, burial and resurrection were to replace once-and-for-all the sacrificial system of the OT?

What difference does it make?  If we showed you such a statement, you would find more value in questioning his statement than in seeing it as absolute truth.

aleshanee said:
no offense mr coffee....... but that is wrong....... progressive christianity is little more than buddhism in a churchy cloak........ all that is missing is the buddhists belief in reincarnation.... and yet..... i know of at least one christian progressive who claims she believes in that too........

I know two.  “You must be born again.”  And again, and again, I guess. 

That's one reason why I wish translators had translated it literally, "born from above". 

rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:
rsc2a said:
Smellin Coffee said:

These are different?

The ideal of faith and repentance are similarly agreeable, however.
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many...

And I deliberately picked a very early non-Pauline text.

Or would you rather look at the Last Supper with the words Jesus used and the symbols He selected?

"To give his life a ransom for many." He gave His life, not gave UP His life. He was the Son of God and the "logos" of God dwelt in Him. In essence, His entire life was given to obedience to the Father as an example for others to follow.

Concerning the Lord's Supper, Jesus referred to it as a covenant. Based on the covenants of the OT, it represented the covenant of circumcision (the breaking of the bread symbolic of the removal of foreskin and the wine symbolic of the blood).

Way to completely ignore the Passover aspect of it...

Reformed Guy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Outside of LGBTLSMFT rights and denying the virgin birth, what is progressive theology?

adjective

a.  relating to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim.

I'm guessing you believe that believing and practicing faith in regards to what Jesus taught and how He lived is pagan.

I'm not interested in un-spinning spin, but will stand by my claim.  "Progressive Christianity" is inherently monistic, (the infuence of monism seen in several of your "8 points")- which is the essence of all pagan religion.

You can view it however you wish as different people see it differently. I see it as not constricting God into a box constructed of a relative hermenutic to relative religious text (whether that be Reformed, Evangelical, Catholic, Jewish, Catholic, Mormon, etc.) To view God in that manner I see is simply nailing jello to the wall.

rsc2a said:
Way to completely ignore the Passover aspect of it...

Perhaps because the covenant was about circumcision instead of Passover. Remember, Jeremiah spoke against sacrifice "since Egypt":

Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, “Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices and eat flesh. For I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices.  But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you will be My people; and you will walk in all the way which I command you, that it may be well with you.’

And Jesus made it clear that in calling sinners, it was not about sacrifice:

Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Very odd then that He chose Passover week, a Passover meal and used the language of Passover itself to make His point. Nope. Passover wasn't at all in His or his disciples' minds. Odd that all four gospels explicitly link the last supper to Passover.

But it's cool. I get it. Lots of people like Jesus. They just don't like all the overtly Jewish and/or Christian things He commanded, taught, and did.

rsc2a said:
Very odd then that He chose Passover week, a Passover meal and used the language of Passover itself to make His point. Nope. Passover wasn't at all in His or his disciples' minds. Odd that all four gospels explicitly link the last supper to Passover.

But it's cool. I get it. Lots of people like Jesus. They just don't like all the overtly Jewish and/or Christian things He commanded, taught, and did.

Dan's posting of the Progressive arguments simply illustrates how bogus they really are...there's no there, there.

Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

adjective

I'm not interested in un-spinning spin, but will stand by my claim.  "Progressive Christianity" is inherently monistic, (the infuence of monism seen in several of your "8 points")- which is the essence of all pagan religion.

You can view it however you wish as different people see it differently. I see it as not constricting God into a box constructed of a relative hermenutic to relative religious text (whether that be Reformed, Evangelical, Catholic, Jewish, Catholic, Mormon, etc.) To view God in that manner I see is simply nailing jello to the wall.

What does that diversion have to do with Progressive Christianity being monistic/pagan, and are you going to tell us why it matters what Jesus said/didn't say when you operate from the presupposition that it's more valuable to question His statements than receive them as truth?

Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

p

adjective

Our walk certainly is important....but if you don't even know who Jesus is or what Jesus you follow or believe in...then the walk ends up meaningless...progressives deny not only the Father..they deny the Son.

http://youtu.be/ypHNvW5B5HI

aleshanee said:
T-Bone said:
Though this CT article makes it seem like the battle is eight churches against one...that is not the issue, though only one church is progressive.  We are dealing with the growth of this satanic God denying theological system in the church.  Thought you might enjoy reading about it.  BTW, we are the Baptist Church mentioned...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2015/may/theology-feud-progressive-christianity-fountain-hills-az.html

this is awesome....... and although you say it;s not a combined effort and the different christian churches are not working together..... i am still very glad they are not working against each other... and you are not working against them ..... polarizing and alienating them over politics .. or other matters and differences... like so many hyper-ifb groups are apt to do........... .......the goal of progressive ideology with it;s focus on forcing the gay agenda is out to destroy the christian church......... no two ways about it.......... and they believe the best way to do that is from the inside...... the sooner christians can set aside minor differences and stop fighting battles with each other that are either lost or don;t matter.... then come together in support of the greater truths we all believe in.... the better............

Thank you...not sure where I said the churches are not working together in this...to me this is part of the miracle that God is doing, bring ping churches with different histories, traditions and practices to stand on the authority of His Word & be the church!  This is a miracle in my eyes.

T-Bone said:
rsc2a said:
Anything less conservative than my own personal theology. :)

Wish that was all it is...

http://youtu.be/ppmDw9iGjNA

Okay, I think I've got his message:

1. God does not think about us all the time, nor does he influence history.
2. God is just a great mystery that is in all things (kind of a pantheism).
3. Jesus was [just] a great spiritual teacher, one of many.

aleshanee said:
T-Bone said:
Thank you...not sure where I said the churches are not working together in this...to me this is part of the miracle that God is doing, bring ping churches with different histories, traditions and practices to stand on the authority of His Word & be the church!  This is a miracle in my eyes.

i was going by what you said in the first sentence......this below......

Though this CT article makes it seem like the battle is eight churches against one...that is not the issue........

i took it to mean what the article said about the churches "teaming up" with each other was wrong.......maybe i misunderstood you..... but either way i am still glad what you and they are doing is being done........

Got ya... I did not write it well... I too am excited to see biblical churches stand together ...what I don't agree with, as it is not happening or the point is that we a ganging up on & bullying one church.  The article leads that way and it is incorrect.  Thanks for your prayers & encouragment.

T-Bone said:

Okay, so from this video:

1. Jesus was fully human (but no more than human).
2. Jesus had one or more divine experiences, which led him to teach people to seek divine experiences.
3. Jesus promoted awareness of oneness of everyone and everything, and by seeking the divine in other people, we can recognize the divine in ourselves. 

None of this thinking is new, by the way.  Great spiritual teachers like Shirley Maclaine have taught this before. 

So a progressive Christian stepped up to a hot dog vendor and said, "Make me one with everything."