We can discuss guns here, too

JrChurch

Elect
Reaction score
Not just a guy thang.  I have had a Ruger SP101 for a long time, but I don't practice as often as I should.  Hunting is big in our area, but no one in our family is the least interested.  Four of our kids are boys and I thought at least one would. 

JrChurch said:
Apparently not, since you sneaked over here to steal our recipes.

And some are delicious!!!! 8)

lol, I used to do a lot of target shooting, but I've had to scale back a lot since I had my son. I feel bad asking my husband to babysit so I can go shoot, and I quit my job to stay at home with him, so it's cut into our budget big-time (when I was working, I spent around $4-500 a month on ammo, range fees, etc). I'm still trying to convince the hubby that letting me get an FFL would be a good investment, even if it is mostly doing transfers for people.

I hunt, but I've gotten more into bow hunting over the past few years because gun season up here is much shorter than where I'm from, and because my last job seemed to require bowhunting and owning a Harley if you wanted a promotion. My parents got my son a lifetime hunting license as a first birthday present (it's much cheaper then), so he'd better end up hunting. Maybe my husband will get interested in going too, once our son is older.

Raine, I hope your son does want to hunt when he is older.  I think he'll be interested in it if you are.  I was intrigued by the statement you made about your last job requiring bowhunting and a Harley in order to get a promotion. 

JrChurch said:
Raine, I hope your son does want to hunt when he is older.  I think he'll be interested in it if you are.  I was intrigued by the statement you made about your last job requiring bowhunting and a Harley in order to get a promotion.

Not literally required, but every person we had who was ranked as a Lieutenant or above, and most of the Sergeants, bow-hunted and rode motorcycles. A lot of the off-work socializing that factored into promotions far more than it should have centered around those two things. I got a bike when I first started working there, and got my Sergeant's stripes the net year after I started hunting with some of the brass on my off days. It was a state prison, and there was a major "good ol' boy" type thing going on there.

I've never been a hunter, but I do carry for self-defense, with a concealed carry permit. (I'm thankful that I live in a "shall issue" state).

I used to be into target shooting, particularly combat pistol competition (IPSC), but that got way too expensive. Now I'm lucky if I can get to the range enough to keep from getting too rusty.

I have just two of my collection left: a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, my main carry pistol, and a Makarov PM 9x18 for backup and for when it isn't practical to conceal the Browning.

No guns in my home............but you do have the right to carry them and shoot 8)

Well I've been told a gator can run 30-40 miles an hour so I'm in big trouble ........LOL!  in 29 years I haven't had that experience yet

I'm not a shooter now give me a baseball bat and I can do some damage LOL! :)

We have an arsenal in our home. 

I have my CCDW, but seldom carry a firearm on my person.  I just like it that I can.  I usually have one in my car unless I'm going to the airport or some place like ILLINOIS!

A shot of a lifetime...revel in it!

I liken your shot to the last hunting trip my husband and son took together before my husband died...a trophy buck, a long shot away, even for my husband's trusty 7mm rifle.  He offered the shot to my son..."No, Dad, it's too far for me...you take it."...and my husband did.  That buck is listed in Boone and Crockett's...and the trophy mount is hanging on my son's wall.

Precious memories... 

Just purchased a Crossman air rifle...not your granny's pellet gun!  Thing breaks the speed of sound with a 2 cent projectile!  How cool is that? 
  Next purchase is a crossbow.  I'll let my daughters use it. After I figure out how to lance the bolt for hi-powered spear fishing.

Anishinabe

My youngest son owns three air soft guns, and likes to collect knives. I think my husband owns two handguns, no clue what they are! Im not interested in guns-don't really like them, I grew up with mostly shotguns and 22s, I think my brother "inherited" them. But I have been thinking about taking my kids to the shooting range.

There are several people at my church that carry! So at least I feel safe a church!

Ladies, it's not enough to just support the 2nd amendment, you have to exercise it too.  I am trained and am permitted to carry concealed in 39 states.  Don't allow yourselves to be a victim.  Once a crime is committed against you or your family, it's too late.  Now is when you need to be training and getting proper permits and learning what firearms are best for your use so that in the event that you need it, you are able to protect yourselves and your children. 

Best case scenario...you will never have to defend yourself with a firearm.  But we don't know in advance when our lives or the lives of our loved ones will be at stake.  I couldn't live with myself if someone harmed my kids while I stood by helplessly. 

Please consider learning about firearms and how to use them properly and get your concealed carry permits.  The more responsible gun carriers we have out there, the safer we all become. 

I have a client that is a policeman and he said Sherry go buy a gun and take some shooting lessons...........I haven't forgotten that especially moving to Miami ..........I do carry a large can of mace

JrChurch said:
Not just a guy thang.  I have had a Ruger SP101 for a long time, but I don't practice as often as I should.  Hunting is big in our area, but no one in our family is the least interested.  Four of our kids are boys and I thought at least one would.

I used to have an SP101, but I sold it for something a little more compact, a Ruger LCR 357.
It weighs a lot less with the additional benefit of being able to fire .357's as well as .38's.
I do think that the SP101 was a much more solidly made pistol though and a better firing platform.