WEDDINGS OMG

MrsRow

Elect
Reaction score
Ladies,
Almost all of my nephews and nieces are married.  my children still have yet to get married, my husband and i are both the youngest in our families so our family is a little younger than our siblings.
so we've been going to lots of weddings over the past few years.
none of the others weddings seemed completely honoring God in their ceremonies, and a few totally left God out of the ceremony altogether.  All of the others receptions were drunken parties and in one, the bride was dancing w/ and griinding on the groomsman  :(

have you ladies been to good, wholesome weddings in churches that thoroughly honored God and receptions that didn't even serve alcohol and were probably even cheaper yet those types of weddings were far more enjoyable than the other types???

And do you have any good wedding ideas, examples, tips, advice for how to have a good wedding and reception that outdoes the others?  for some reason, i feel that i want my childrens weddings to be better, i want it to honor God, i want our families to go home saying "that was the best wedding i've ever been to" maybe i shouldnt want that, maybe i shouldnt be trying to please them or compete. 
Does anyone understand me right now?  lol

I love the weddings at our church. Other than a few rich people in our church, the weddings are simple and sweet.

I have two daughters that probably will get married in the next five years, been thinking of what second job I can get to pay for it!!!

I love the idea of a cand table, I have seen a few examples and love it.

I understand you because I was raised in the whole elegant, country club setting era for weddings in my circle of friends.  I did not notice that it was a competition at that time because most people (even those with big money) thought it was ostentatious to go overboard, but it has evolved into a competition to see who can outdo whom.

We only have one daughter and we gave her the same choice my father gave me: big wedding or a new car.  She had a sweet, lovely wedding and they drove off in their car  ;D.  She chose to make it more about a warm event than the actual ceremony.  Because a lot of people were driving from distant areas, they chose a 3-day weekend with the wedding on the Monday holiday.  The rehearsal was Saturday evening, we had our usual Sunday with a host of people at our home for Sunday dinner.  It was a great weekend with family and friends.  That worked for us because both sets of parents live in the same city, but neither has other family in the area.   

Like Kaba, we have simple weddings at our church and the sweetest aspects are the creative things people come up with.  I suggest you do some research about creative ways to celebrate the wedding reception in a conservative way.  Just a little advice- to this day, people comment about how relaxed my daughter was at the wedding.  Because she planned a simple wedding, she was able to enjoy the weekend and people remembered how she had time to spend with them. 

I hope my girls will have stress free weddings. Jrchurch, how long has your daughter been married?

kaba said:
I hope my girls will have stress free weddings. Jrchurch, how long has your daughter been married?

She graduated at age 20 from college and was married 2 weeks later.  She's been married 12 years. 

My husband and I will be celebrating 20 years here soon and I planned our whole wedding from beginning to end.  I still remember it to this day.  It was all around the church.  I kept it simple, including the reception.  My sister was my bridesmaid.  That's it.  Our pastor told the crowd how we met talked about our love for each other and for God.  We had a lot of friends and family who did not attend our church, and I wanted to make it to where everyone was welcomed into our ceremony.  I had co-workers who couldn't believe how "he knew both of us so well" and laughed at the funnies he told about our relationship.  My cousins and aunts and uncles who were so against our church came up to me after the service and said how they loved what he said about my dad who had passed several years ago and how they were buddies and special friends.  I had paid a tribute to my dad in the ceremony so the pastor thought that was extra special and my cousins thought that was very nice.  I think you lose the effect when you don't have a wedding in the church.  I've been to christian weddings outside the church environment and they've been beautiful, but church weddings are very special.  Every girls' dream is to have a church wedding!

MrsRow said:
Ladies,
Almost all of my nephews and nieces are married.  my children still have yet to get married, my husband and i are both the youngest in our families so our family is a little younger than our siblings.
so we've been going to lots of weddings over the past few years.
none of the others weddings seemed completely honoring God in their ceremonies, and a few totally left God out of the ceremony altogether.  All of the others receptions were drunken parties and in one, the bride was dancing w/ and griinding on the groomsman  :(

have you ladies been to good, wholesome weddings in churches that thoroughly honored God and receptions that didn't even serve alcohol and were probably even cheaper yet those types of weddings were far more enjoyable than the other types???

And do you have any good wedding ideas, examples, tips, advice for how to have a good wedding and reception that outdoes the others?  for some reason, i feel that i want my childrens weddings to be better, i want it to honor God, i want our families to go home saying "that was the best wedding i've ever been to" maybe i shouldnt want that, maybe i shouldnt be trying to please them or compete. 
Does anyone understand me right now?  lol

There is a movie called "Leap Year". in that movie, i saw a very interesting wedding idea. So it's a garden-themed wedding, but the great thing is the scenery of the wedding, filled with many beautiful mountains and green pasture. The movie took place in Ireland actually so that's why it has beautiful scenery around. And there is also an interesting traditional Irish dance where all the people are gathered around to dance together. I think that's pretty interesting idea.