Went to a Reformed Baptist Church over the weekend

There are many reasons I am not a full on "1689 Reformed Baptist." First of all, they tend to be all about Calvinism and Reformed theology which I really try not to get myself too focused upon. I consider myself "Calvinistic" but not Reformed or at least not in the 1689/WCF/Heidelberg/Belgic Confession sense that a Reformed congregation would strictly adhere to and would look down their noses at some "poseur" Calvie as myself!
Ahhh. So, you are the compromising New Hampshire-styled, watered down, convictionless variety. Poser! 😂

None, but I tried to talk to them about about naming their foyer Finney's Way. Does that count for anything? ;)
You are a true hero! Let's start a petition to remove the Bob Jones mural highlighting Finney!

Yeah, Lay Dude! How many buses were they running, how many walked the aisle, and how many were baptized?:LOL:
i didn;t want to go that far with the questions... ..coz if the answer to too many of them had been yes - i might have gone into shock....o_O ...or had a heart attack..... :sneaky: ....

Last edited:
Quite true! I experienced this first-hand with the "Model IFB Church" I used to attend back in the '90s! The very well-known pastor of this Church claims to be preaching expositorily through books of the Bible but his personal agenda comes through loud and clear which can be a distraction for those who simply wish to have the word of God taught in its pure, unvarnished form!

Some of the best expository teaching and preaching I have ever heard have been from Calvary Chapel pastors!
Amen Brother!

Has anyone, here, ever identify the main topic of Spurgeon's sermons? I forgot the exact percentage, but it was nearly 75% of his sermons.

The (now famous) North Love Church near Rockford, IL tossed all of the Spurgeon books from their church library back in the late 1990s. They realized the content.

Has anyone, here, ever identify the main topic of Spurgeon's sermons? I forgot the exact percentage, but it was nearly 75% of his sermons.

The (now famous) North Love Church near Rockford, IL tossed all of the Spurgeon books from their church library back in the late 1990s. They realized the content.
A HACker on Facebook wanted to argue with me that Spurgeon was not a Calvinist and kept insisting that he was right because he was a "Man-o-Gawd" who graduated from Hyles-Anderson and spent many years as a missionary! The "Real Baptist" seems quite reasonable and rational compared to this Froot Loop!

Some of the best expository teaching and preaching I have ever heard have been from Calvary Chapel pastors!
Mrs. abcaines and I were in Walla Walla this morning where we attended the CC there. Very warm and delightful congratulation. Young pastor taught for a full hour from Matthew chapter 1. He paid particular attention to the kings in Christ's genealogy which was interesting to me because I just read through 2 Chronicles. Well done sermon that tied together what I've been studying for the past several weeks quite nicely.

‘I would propose that the subject of the ministry in this house… shall be the person of JESUS CHRIST. I am never ashamed to avow myself a Calvinist; I do not hesitate to take the name of Baptist; but if I am asked what is my creed, I reply, ‘It is Jesus Christ.’—CHS