What Bible colleges or Christain colleges have closed during your lifetime?

4everfsu

Elect
Reaction score
I can think of Pillsbury Baptist college. Northland Christian college, Tennessee Temple University , Clearwater Christian college off the top of my head.

I don't know that much about those colleges but I'm wondering if it's like many of the IFB churches where the church is centered on the personality that leads it. Wondering if most of these began their decline after their leader/founder was no longer there.

I don't know that much about those colleges but I'm wondering if it's like many of the IFB churches where the church is centered on the personality that leads it. Wondering if most of these began their decline after their leader/founder was no longer there.
Well, that's a good observation... it's probably true of Tennessee Temple; I don't think it's true of Pillsbury or Northland (but I'm not sure). I don't know Clearwater.

Maranatha? or is that the same as Pillsbury?

No, they are different; Maranatha was in Wisconsin, and Pillsbury was in Minnesota. I didn't know Maranatha was closed...
Maranatha ISN'T closed. It's still open. They accepted any student who came from Pillsbury when it closed a few years back. I believe Northland Baptist Bible College in Wisconsin has closed. I know Tennessee Temple University closed. We live less than 90 miles away from Chattanooga here in Tennessee. It was big news here, especially since it has become an SBC college just a few years before. There are several others, including a church college I went to when I got out of high school. It was a split-off of BBC in Springfield, MO....Fellowship Baptist College in E. Peoria, IL. It's sad to know that so many Baptist/Bible colleges have closed, but mismanagement and low student enrollments have taken their tolls.

Philadelphia College of the Bible. A Baptist pastor who got a doctorate there in the 1970's described an Episcopalian Bible teacher who taught that infant baptism is justified by the Old Testament command of circumcision.

Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary, Lansdale, Pennsylvania - closed 2013.
Grace Bible College/University, Omaha, Nebraska - closed 2018.
Shawnee Baptist College, Louisville, Kentucky is no more.
Baptist University of America (Al Janney, Curtis Hutson) closed in 1987.
San Francisco Baptist Theological Seminary, operated by Hamilton Square Baptist Church, has been closed for a long time.
Spurgeon Baptist Bible College in Mulberry, Florida merged with Piedmont Bible College in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 2003 - likewise, Atlantic Baptist Bible College in Chester, Virginia merged with Piedmont in 2008. Piedmont appears to be the place where Bible colleges go to die - Tennessee Temple also merged with Piedmont in 2015.
Maranatha University in Watertown, Wisconsin is alive and well - my guess is that they picked up a lot of students who might otherwise have attended Pillsbury and Northland which are now closed.
I checked on Mountain States Baptist College in Great Falls, Montana - they don't appear to be doing so well - their web site consists almost entirely of this announcement:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are currently overhauling our degree programs. We are continuing our Monday night classes for Bible Institute and College credit, a few day-time classes and several local indepentent [sic] studies. We plan to post our new programs as soon as possible. If you have any further questions, contact the College Dean, Dr. Richard Jonas at 406-761-0308 or at our contact page.​

Last edited:
Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary, Lansdale, Pennsylvania - closed 2013.
Grace Bible College/University, Omaha, Nebraska - closed 2018.
Shawnee Baptist College, Louisville, Kentucky is no more.
Baptist University of America (Al Janney, Curtis Hutson) closed in 1987.
San Francisco Baptist Theological Seminary, operated by Hamilton Square Baptist Church, has been closed for a long time.
Spurgeon Baptist Bible College in Mulberry, Florida merged with Piedmont Bible College in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 2003 - likewise, Atlantic Baptist Bible College in Chester, Virginia merged with Piedmont in 2008. Piedmont appears to be the place where Bible colleges go to die - Tennessee Temple also merged with Piedmont in 2015.
Maranatha University in Watertown, Wisconsin is alive and well - my guess is that they picked up a lot of students who might otherwise attended Pillsbury and Northland which are now closed.
I checked on Mountain States Baptist College in Great Falls, Montana - they don't appear to be doing so well - their web site consists almost entirely of this announcement:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are currently overhauling our degree programs. We are continuing our Monday night classes for Bible Institute and College credit, a few day-time classes and several local indepentent [sic] studies. We plan to post our new programs as soon as possible. If you have any further questions, contact the College Dean, Dr. Richard Jonas at 406-761-0308 or at our contact page.​

Is Fairhaven still open? in Indiana.

Philadelphia College of the Bible. A Baptist pastor who got a doctorate there in the 1970's described an Episcopalian Bible teacher who taught that infant baptism is justified by the Old Testament command of circumcision.
I think they became Cairn University

Is Fairhaven Baptist College in Chesterton, Indiana still open? Yes, they are open and thriving, unfortunately. (For info on why I feel that way, see the Fairhaven section of this forum). I am on the mailing list for their Fairhaven Fundamentalist paper. For what it is worth, Fairhaven is one of the very few colleges endorsed by David Cloud.

Is Fairhaven still open? in Indiana.
Hi Sherryh! Long time no see! It's Brother Tony from the old FFF and the Baptist Board. LOL Yes, Fairhaven is alive and well. My best friend's daughter and SIL are graduates of Fairhaven.

Is Fairhaven Baptist College in Chesterton, Indiana still open? Yes, they are open and thriving, unfortunately. (For info on why I feel that way, see the Fairhaven section of this forum). I am on the mailing list for their Fairhaven Fundamentalist paper. For what it is worth, Fairhaven is one of the very few colleges endorsed by David Cloud.
I don't usually support many things that David Cloud supports. But, I do like Fairhaven. I don't agree with them on everything, but they seem to have some of the more disciplined Christians that I know of.

I prefer not to name names, but I have talked to a number of people who were intimately familiar with Fairhaven BC and College, and described it with distaste, as a cult. But others may find Fairhaven to be exactly to their taste. It's sort of like Marine boot camp - some people love it, others, not so much. For further research, check this thread (see Fairhaven section of this forum).

(18) CNN Expose on Alleged Abuse at Fairhaven | Fighting Fundamental Forums

I prefer not to name names, but I have talked to a number of people who were intimately familiar with Fairhaven BC and College, and described it with distaste, as a cult. But others may find Fairhaven to be exactly to their taste. It's sort of like Marine boot camp - some people love it, others, not so much. For further research, check this thread (see Fairhaven section of this forum).

(18) CNN Expose on Alleged Abuse at Fairhaven | Fighting Fundamental Forums
I would take eveything, and I do mean EVERYTHING that CNN has to say with a huge grain of salt! , They're not the most reliable news source I've ever seen. No Bible college is perfect. I mean, I attended Maranatha Baptist Bible College, now Maranatha Baptist University, in Watertown, Wisconsin, and I loved it. I didn't agree with everything, and I definitely didn't fall in line with every bit of doctrine they held to, but overall, it was a great college and still is, though they have changed some since I went there in the 80s. Every college is going to have its pros and cons.

I think that generally Christian Colleges are in decline. There are exceptions but my experience says that’s the rule.
Exceptions are a few schools that have genuine accrediation and include courses of study outside what was once called ‘full time Christian service’ degrees. I also believe, as far as IFB schools are concerned, that the decline in their churches was a major factor in declining enrollment and closings. I know that West Coast seems to be doing well but not sure how other IFB schools are doing. I assume Hyles Anderson is still operating, as well as Pensacola and BJU.