What do you suppose is the reason?

Good points and I'm not saying it was some righteous biblical thing, I was just thinking where the idea originally came from.  I wasn't exploring whether it was good or best, whether it gave people (by some of the comments it did!) a sense of  lay/leader hierarchy.  When FBC first started the practice what birthed the idea?

Godisgood said:
Good points and I'm not saying it was some righteous biblical thing, I was just thinking where the idea originally came from.  I wasn't exploring weather it was good or best, whether it gave people (by some of the comments it did!) a sense of  lay/leader hierarchy.  When FBC first started the practice what birthed the idea?

For many years Bro. Colston has done a majority of the weddings, funerals & nearly all the hospital & nursing home visits. Because of this role, it was important for him to be seen as a member of the senior staff. When he would visit you in the hospital or nursing home it was important for him be known as a senior represenitive of the church. I think that is also why Dr. Hyles did the responsive reading. It cave Dr. Colsten an important role in the order of service. I don't think in his case he wanted to look like a big shot. He just nended to be identified as a senior staff memeber because of what he did all week.

Bro. Colsten worked very long hrs and was on call for many many years until his heakth limited what he could do.

sword said:
Godisgood said:
Good points and I'm not saying it was some righteous biblical thing, I was just thinking where the idea originally came from.  I wasn't exploring weather it was good or best, whether it gave people (by some of the comments it did!) a sense of  lay/leader hierarchy.  When FBC first started the practice what birthed the idea?

For many years Bro. Colston has done a majority of the weddings, funerals & nearly all the hospital & nursing home visits. Because of this role, it was important for him to be seen as a member of the senior staff. When he would visit you in the hospital or nursing home it was important for him be known as a senior represenitive of the church. I think that is also why Dr. Hyles did the responsive reading. It cave Dr. Colsten an important role in the order of service. I don't think in his case he wanted to look like a big shot. He just nended to be identified as a senior staff memeber because of what he did all week.

Bro. Colsten worked very long hrs and was on call for many many years until his heakth limited what he could do.

He did very few weddings. In fact I don't recall any in the last 20 years.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote.

Here is how he is listed on our Web site.

Johnny Colsten - Associate Pastor, Visitation

He was called Associate Pastor the last five decades with three different pastors.

Baptist City Holdout said:
patriotic said:
Why do you think so many churches have pastoral staff sit on the platform throughout their services instead of sitting with their families?  I had never seen it in my life until I went to FBCH. I supposed there it had something to do with space issues and invitation purposes?

In my Dad's churches, the song leader always left platform after song service, and if we had a guest preacher, so did Dad. It was a nice part of having guest preacher....Dad sat with us! (And we usually had company for Sunday dinner too.) 

Could you all PLEASE TRY to he nice? I'm not looking for critical answers.

Hey, wait a minute, here. They did it at the Wabash Camp Meeting on Sheffey!

Do you get kickbacks for mentioning the movie Sheffey on a regular basis?

Binaca Chugger said:
Godisgood said:
This is just a thought, but do you think it's possible the idea was from Nehemiah?  Nehemiah 8:1-8 here's v. 4.

Nehemiah 8:4  And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

Just a thought.
But if you continue reading, those men went among the people and explained the reading.  Small group!  :eek:

Why give a negative mark if you think it is a "Good Point?"

I changed it to thumbs up, my apologies.  First time posting, figuring out how everything functions.