What Do You Want Said/Preached at Your Funeral?

Reformed Guy

Elect
Reaction score
I want my pastor to tell my life story.  Here it is:

Tit 3:3  For [he himself] also [was] sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating [others].
Tit 3:4  But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward [him] appeared,
Tit 3:5  Not by works of righteousness which [he had] done, but according to his mercy he saved [him], by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6  Which he shed on [him] abundantly through Jesus Christ [his] Saviour;
Tit 3:7  That being justified by his grace, [he] should be made [an heir] according to the hope of eternal life.

That's all I want said about me.  I simply want the Gospel preached and God's grace magnified.

OTOH, I like this article about some things I DON'T want said--

http://birdchadlouis.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/please-dont-say-these-six-things-at-my-funeral/

While all of you are gathered here today, Tim wanted me to share with you one last time ..... <gospel presentation> ..... and unlike the last time this was shared with you, Tim is now gone to be home with Jesus Christ his savior, wouldn't you like to join him one day?

Citadel of Truth said:
"Look! He's alive! Praise the Lord! It's a miracle!" Or, anything close to that would be fine.  8)

^This.

.tim said:
While all of you are gathered here today, Tim wanted me to share with you one last time ..... <gospel presentation> ..... and unlike the last time this was shared with you, Tim is now gone to be home with Jesus Christ his savior, wouldn't you like to join him one day?

Well, yeah...that too, of course!  :eek:

I probably have a longer list of things I don't want done than I do.

I like what I think is written on DL Moody's tombstone; something like: "Don't grieve for me; I am not dead. I am more alive that I have ever been in my life."

Even funerals fall into the "whatsoever ye do" that we should be doing to the glory of God, so I want Jesus Christ to be exalted. He deserves it more than me.  We have gotten a bit tired of some Christian funerals lately that exalt the dead to a great degree and if Jesus is mentioned, He is just a means to an end: "You can be a great person like <dead person>; just say these magic words..."

Perhaps they could read my testimony of how Jesus saved me.

Interesting question...

Whatever my wife wants!  8)  ;)

I have an idea that what I want said and what is actually said will be two totally different things.

"Birds gotta eat same as the worms."

Salvation message .............. :)

Nothing. Save the dough and have a celebration instead

I've instructed Spitfire to lay me in the small canoe with my weapons about me. Cast me adrift on the Caney Fork River and burn me like a Viking warrior. This while the pipes call the clans to battle from the banks. People will pay to see that.

ChuckBob

aleshanee said:
ChuckBob said:
I've instructed Spitfire to lay me in the small canoe with my weapons about me. Cast me adrift on the Caney Fork River and burn me like a Viking warrior. This while the pipes call the clans to battle from the banks. People will pay to see that.

ChuckBob

you mean, like this?...... 8)

That's it, except with bagpipes and flammable liquid.

ChuckBob

Kirk Douglas (Einar) viking funeral

As long as "Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead" is not being played on the organ, I will be fine with whatever is said.