What I Really Think About the Independent Baptist Movement...

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
Almost a century ago the independent Baptist movement was born. From its beginning it was deeply marked and widely identified with doctrinal orthodoxy and a vigorous practice. Over the last thirty years that vigorous practice has seriously degenerated in a number of rather alarming ways. The results of this degeneration are increasingly seen in two mistakes. The first mistake is the tendency on behalf of the brethren to dig in, to admit nothing publicly, and to attack any who assert that something is wrong. In so doing they are simply exacerbating the problem. The second mistake is to overreact. Some overreact by leaving the independent Baptist movement altogether for contemporary Christianity. Others are attempting to transition to some "new" kind of independent Baptist model. In so doing they are abandoning much that is good and ingesting much that is dangerous.

Schizophrenic seeks to take a balanced approach. On the one hand it boldly shouts, "We're right!" On the other hand it unhesitatingly confesses, "We're wrong." It points to the banners of our strengths and calls on us to lift them high. At the same time, it lifts the rug covering our dirt and calls on us to clean it up. At all times, it seeks to do this with a careful adherence to Scripture and a well-researched eye on the facts all bathed in a spirit of charity.

It is available beginning today in all e-book formats as well as hardback and paperback. See http://brennanspen.com/ for more information, some initial reviews, and purchasing information.

I don't have to tell people around this place not to be shy. When you finish it tell me what you think, agree or disagree. And tell others, especially online. As an independent author it is the only real hope I have to get any traction.

Thank you, my friends... and enemies.  :D

I did briefly read the sample.

I'll give you my opinion. I think you're a good writer. However, I think you're trying to save something that's not worth saving.

I don't care what type of "spin" you put on it. You're endeavoring to promote a return to something that's not the goal......

What you're trying to do reminds me of Paul's appeal to being a Pharisee in the book of Acts. It wasn't long before he wrote...

Php 3:5  Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6  Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7  But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9  And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10  That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Php 3:11  If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Php 3:12  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:15  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Just obtained my copy, Tom.

I'm waiting for Bass' book to be translated into pig Latin.
Eventually all of the true classics make it to other languages...

Web said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

It probably WOULD be easier for you to comprehend. ?

I understand versions CPA and accounting textbooks have been available in PL  for years. Since I flunked basic math, I've never confirmed it, though.

Web said:
As I mentioned in your other thread of the same name, it's a nice homage to Bassenco's book!  :)

I've mentioned this before... I had no idea she even wrote a book by the same title for the same basic reasons until long after I had begun mine.  I have not read hers nor do I have any plans to do so, but I do find it interesting that we both chose the same term. I realize our use of that term is not specifically accurate in a medical sense, but it is completely accurate in commonly accepted understanding. She and I have huge differences and yet we both came up with the same term when trying to sum up the IFB movement in a word. Which in itself says some rather unpleasant things, doesn't it?

Web said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Web said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

It probably WOULD be easier for you to comprehend. ?

I understand versions CPA and accounting textbooks have been available in PL  for years. Since I flunked basic math, I've never confirmed it, though.

What exactly is a "versions CPA?"  I guess most accounting student wannabees can't read PL either, then, because a 4 year program only yields about 20% retention and graduation.  (Mine with honors, by the way. :)  )

Sorry, lost an 'of' in the post.
I understand the fall out...their eyes glaze over and a comatose condition sets in...maybe pig Latin would add some excitement to the curriculum. Same thing happened in pneumatology a few times.
Congratulations on the honors degree...I'm sure my CPA did as well...according to his pricing he should have at least! :)

I think Bass originally published in pig Latin and later her 'works' were translated into English.

As to the OP....Tom really did his homework, research wise...makes for a good, and thought provoking at times, read.