What Is A Good Testimony?

samspade

Elect
Reaction score
Several of the discussions lately have made me ponder the question "What is a good testimony?" As I've pondered this it seems like we've lost a biblical definition of the term and have made it about what makes us look good to the people in our church. For instance, in Job 29, Job's defense of his righteousness is that he was a father to the fatherless, made widows hearts sing with joy, and helped those in need. Jesus' example of the good Samaritan was of someone who went out of his way to show love and compassion to a hurting stranger. In both these examples the "good testimony" was showing God's love and concern to people in need.

In Micah 6 God talks about what pleases Him:

6 With what shall I come before the Lord,
And bow myself before the High God?
Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings,
With calves a year old?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
Ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8 He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?

I contend that not going to a bar, or not going to a theater, or dressing to certain standards, or any number of other things that Christians say constitutes a good testimony are meaningless to the people we are to be a good testimony to (the world). They are just our attempt to look good to each other. What the world needs to see as a testimony is that we have compassion for the hurting and offer the love of Christ to the needy.

(Note that I'm not criticizing standards or behavior based on conscience or avoidance of temptation. I am arguing with the use of "good testimony" as a means to control behavior.)

Please feel free to try and convince me otherwise.

samspade said:
But to do justly,
To love mercy,

I contend that not going to a bar, or not going to a theater, or dressing to certain standards, or any number of other things that Christians say constitutes a good testimony are meaningless to the people we are to be a good testimony to (the world). They are just our attempt to look good to each other. What the world needs to see as a testimony is that we have compassion for the hurting and offer the love of Christ to the needy.

Amen.

Many conscientious Christians wouldn't compare assisting somebody who is hurt in a roadside accident (Samaritans) with frolicking in a bar where blatant immorality encompasses you as being analogous.  I never included movie attendance nor dress standards in this regard because I occasionally go to movies, and I don't judge people by whether they wear a suit and tie to church ( I think those things are irrelevant to worship), but I do think that dress standards should have a Biblically informed view of modesty. 

As far as what the people of the world view as a good testimony, that is a pretty broad category.  Some don't care how we live because they think religion is stupid and those who practice it are deceived, so they don't care if we're hypocrites because they think we're just ignorant for believing in God anyway so it goes with the territory that we'd be hypocrites since there really is no God.  Others care, but hold fallacious unbiblical reasoning as to what standards they utilize to observe our testimony.  Still others do know what the Bible says, and think that our capitulation is a lack of us being salt and light.

ALAYMAN said:
Many conscientious Christians wouldn't compare assisting somebody who is hurt in a roadside accident (Samaritans) with frolicking in a bar where blatant immorality encompasses you as being analogous.  I never included movie attendance nor dress standards in this regard because I occasionally go to movies, and I don't judge people by whether they wear a suit and tie to church ( I think those things are irrelevant to worship), but I do think that dress standards should have a Biblically informed view of modesty. 

As far as what the people of the world view as a good testimony, that is a pretty broad category.  Some don't care how we live because they think religion is stupid and those who practice it are deceived, so they don't care if we're hypocrites because they think we're just ignorant for believing in God anyway so it goes with the territory that we'd be hypocrites since there really is no God.  Others care, but hold fallacious unbiblical reasoning as to what standards they utilize to observe our testimony.  Still others do know what the Bible says, and think that our capitulation is a lack of us being salt and light.

Sorry if it seemed I was singling you out with this question as I was trying to make it much more general. Your thread on the DD got me thinking, but I was trying to include other examples I've heard for why I should or shouldn't do certain things (movies, dress). I still don't have enough information on the places that the DD was required to hang out in to determine whether or not I would say it was a bad idea. I'm not one who automatically thinks that because people are drinking and socializing it's a bad place to be (others may disagree based on their experience, but that's mine).

But the point does still come back to what is the purpose of a "testimony?" Isn't it to show what God has done in me? And that is my argument with the use of "good testimony" as a behavior modification tool. I don't have to look different from the world (except in extreme cases), I have to exhibit a different character. Galatians 5 lays out the difference quite well:

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ

Sam, I think some people make themselves the center of their testimony rather than focusing it on our Lord Jesus, it's not what we but rather what he did.

samspade said:
Sorry if it seemed I was singling you out with this question as I was trying to make it much more general.......

And that's what infuriates me. We have too many Christians who are like her and think they are maintaining a good testimony. Count how many sermons you've heard against worldliness. Now, count how many sermons you've heard about not loving your neighbor. It's probably at least 10:1. The problem is, not loving our neighbor is worldliness.

Nah bro, like I said, I don't mind disagreement, but rather how a person disagrees.  So even *if* you had me in mind with the above thoughts, I really didn't take offense, cause I know how you roll, and I'm good wit dat.  I appreciate a challenge to my position, as I truly believe iron sharpens iron.

Over all, there's much I agree with in the sentiments you expressed, particularly about that attitude that elevates "standards" to a level that makes them synomymous with holiness.

I am pretty busy today, so not much time for serious interaction, but if possible later I will return to your post and comment more at length.

Recovering IFB said:
Sam, I think some people make themselves the center of their testimony rather than focusing it on our Lord Jesus, it's not what we but rather what he did.

Very good thought.

samspade said:
Several of the discussions lately have made me ponder the question "What is a good testimony?" As I've pondered this it seems like we've lost a biblical definition of the term and have made it about what makes us look good to the people in our church.
I agree. It's as if we've attempted to adopt their their worldview of right and wrong then when we fail their man-made standards, we feel we've failed God. Instead of looking to the truth of scripture along with them

For instance, in Job 29, Job's defense of his righteousness is that he was a father to the fatherless, made widows hearts sing with joy, and helped those in need. Jesus' example of the good Samaritan was of someone who went out of his way to show love and compassion to a hurting stranger. In both these examples the "good testimony" was showing God's love and concern to people in need.
Good point. Assist any physical needs first. Acts of love & righteousness won't be forgotten, nor with the other acts publicly known

In Micah 6 God talks about what pleases Him:

6 With what shall I come before the Lord,
And bow myself before the High God?
Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings,
With calves a year old?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
Ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

But to do justly,
To love mercy,

I contend that not going to a bar, or not going to a theater, or dressing to certain standards, or any number of other things that Christians say constitutes a good testimony are meaningless to the people we are to be a good testimony to (the world).
They are just our attempt to look good to each other.
I can agree w/bolded ^^ Except prior to my conversion 6 yrs ago, seeing "said" person in bar would have me guessing he is doing what people do in bars.If opportunity arose later, I'd casually inquire to disipher if he's safe to hang with...be around. Town isn't that terribly big. Maybe invite him to ride (providing a bike). Once a month I've always invited others Mtn Biking & as a reiprication to any prior invites I declined that week (now it's a ministry opportunity).
What the world needs to see as a testimony is that we have compassion for the hurting and offer the love of Christ to the needy. (Note that I'm not criticizing standards or behavior based on conscience or avoidance of temptation. I am arguing with the use of "good testimony" as a means to control behavior.)
Please feel free to try and convince me otherwise.
Imho showing compassion and the Love of Christ is essential but it won't necessarily win them over if they are simultaneously given a reason to be on guard. Drunks are mean. Takes just one guy imagining his invite read "BYOB" for us to scatter. last thing I need is to be thrown in jail again due to a fight (though it hasn't happened since conversion) My wife is real strict about that now.

My thinking is...If they are vegetarian, I don't eat meat (hardly eat it anyhow). If they are diabetic, I avoid sweets at that moment, Crazy Cat ladies? I don't mention my cat is an outdoor cat... BUT  much of that is based on my own self-centeredness of hoping they reciprocate the courtesy (TV/alcohol) if situation ever arises. I need to work on that.

ivannette said:
what is a good testimony
the reason for this practice is to set up mini gods

at the time of our salvation god gives to each one of us gift(s) to be used in the church

unfortunately most do not ever get to use them because they have not passed the mini god test
The test is skewed! 8)

RE: What is a good Testimony?

I believe Paul's Testimony addresses it
1 Timothy 6:1-12
King James Version (KJV)
6 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.
If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, where unto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.