What is the "Grace life?"

rsc2a said:
See also "traditions of men"

What traditions are you referring to exactly? 

16KJV11 said:
Exell said:
RAIDER said:
Exell said:
Romans 5:2 "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

It is a life lived by faith, as opposed to law, that opens up the Grace of Christ.

Do you know anyone who is trying to follow the law?

Yes, the IFB law, or the moralistic American code...whatever you want to call it. Anything that emphasizes self,(as in self effort, self striving, self discipline) as a means of righteousness to make themselves acceptable to God.
Are you saying that self discipline has no part in the success of the Christian life?
Now, I understand that everything we do we do by the grace of God, with His power and strength.

It does. Romans 6 teaches us that faith and surrender (Reckon and yield) have an equal place in sanctifying the Christian. It however becomes a problem when that is where our confidence lies, or when we believe that is what has made us holy. It's a fine line and many have crossed it.

Exell said:
16KJV11 said:
Exell said:
RAIDER said:
Exell said:
Romans 5:2 "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

It is a life lived by faith, as opposed to law, that opens up the Grace of Christ.

Do you know anyone who is trying to follow the law?

Yes, the IFB law, or the moralistic American code...whatever you want to call it. Anything that emphasizes self,(as in self effort, self striving, self discipline) as a means of righteousness to make themselves acceptable to God.
Are you saying that self discipline has no part in the success of the Christian life?
Now, I understand that everything we do we do by the grace of God, with His power and strength.

It does. Romans 6 teaches us that faith and surrender (Reckon and yield) have an equal place in sanctifying the Christian. It however becomes a problem when that is where our confidence lies, or when we believe that is what has made us holy. It's a fine line and many have crossed it.

And this is why I thank God for the discipline in my life, all good things come from Him.

I also thank God for my good looks, I give Him the glory. I take no credit for my good looks.

In my first or second year of college, Schaap preached a message from ( I use that loosely) Romans 7, titled' "How to do right when I am not very good at doing right". It was 20 something points on law...how to find righteousness through our own efforts, discipline and schedule. It was law, and it would never lead the congregation to grace...it obviously never led him to grace.

The sermon was so popular, he printed the points and passed it out the next service and at the college.

Exell said:
In my first or second year of college, Schaap preached a message from ( I use that loosely) Romans 7, titled' "How to do right when I am not very good at doing right". It was 20 something points on law...how to find righteousness through our own efforts, discipline and schedule. It was law, and it would never lead the congregation to grace...it obviously never led him to grace.

The sermon was so popular, he printed the points and passed it out the next service and at the college.

It should be through Christ living in me through my efforts, discipline, and schedule.

Exell said:

Definitely my take on JH/JS, HAC/FBCH.

That place to me as far as some of the "preaching" is very motivational.

JH, has always reminded me of Zig Ziglar. (In some ways)

RAIDER said:
Exell said:

It should be through Christ living in me through my efforts, discipline, and schedule.

Maybe I'm straining at gnats, but it should be Christ living in you by His grace in response to your faith...not your efforts, discipline and schedule.

Bruh said:
Exell said:

Definitely my take on JH/JS, HAC/FBCH.

That place to me as far as some of the "preaching" is very motivational.

JH, has always reminded me of Zig Ziglar. (In some ways)

Which goes back to 'did it harm us'. I spent the rest of the year with that sermon in my Bible trying to live each point so that I could be 'righteous'. It was spiritually defeating.

Exell said:
RAIDER said:
Exell said:

Maybe I'm straining at gnats, but it should be Christ living in you by His grace in response to your faith...not your efforts, discipline and schedule.

Just get up go to work everyday spend time with the Lord everyday spend time with your wife and kids.

Is it that complicated?

Exell said:
RAIDER said:
Exell said:

Yes, you are straining at gnats.

"Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works."

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

Any standards and convictions that you have.

Bible versions. Dress "standards". Movies. The order of worship. Hymnody. Politics with a veneer of religion. Tee-totaling on alcohol. Pope as pastor. Congregational governance. Judgement instead of mercy. Hatred instead of love. Shall I go on?

rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

Bible versions. Dress "standards". Movies. The order of worship. Hymnody. Politics with a veneer of religion. Tee-totaling on alcohol. Pope as pastor. Congregational governance. Judgement instead of mercy. Hatred instead of love. Shall I go on?

Yes, what church have you been a member of, operated this way?

Go ahead and give the name of the pastor and name of the church please. Thanks!

Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

In his living room in front of a t.v.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

I have attended a IB church my entire adult life, and I have never experienced a pastor that operates this way.

My wife wears pants we go to the movies and go to the great Satan Disney every year. All of this and he lets me teach Sunday School at times.

Just sayn, rsc2a.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

I have attended a IB church my entire adult life, and I have never experienced a pastor that operates this way.

My wife wears pants we go to the movies and go to the great Satan Disney every year. All of this and he lets me teach Sunday School at times.

Just sayn, rsc2a.

I have attended an IFB church my entire life as well, and apart from the one I now pastor, none have been as you have described.

RAIDER said:
Exell said:
RAIDER said:
Exell said:

Yes, you are straining at gnats.

"Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works."

All James is telling us is, we will never see faith without works. Faith always produces works. You can however have works independent of faith...this is legalism/law.

"But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;" Romans 9:31,32

I don't think I'm straining at gnats. I consider the issue to be one of foundational importance therefore demanding of theological precision...not that I'm the guy to do it.

Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

Yes, I have been part of churches that operated this way. And, no, I won't give the names...what value is there in that other than bringing bringing someone down needlessly?