What makes someone a Hypocrite?

MrsRow

Elect
Reaction score
I used to watch a really bad, sinful HBO show.  I never felt right about watching it, but i did anyhow.
I felt convicted by the Holy Spirit, but i quenched the Spirit.
I felt pricked in my heart, but i ignored it and continued in my disobedience.

Okay so now.. I dont want to watch it anymore & want to obey God, I dont want that show ever played in my home
and i'm being pretty vocal about it.
So i'm being accused of being a hypocrite.
am I being a hypocrite?
I see it as i've taken the beam out of my eye ... I've stopped doing it.

Let's see how Merriam-Webster defines it for kids:

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Function: noun
1 : a person who pretends to have virtues or qualities that he or she does not have
2 : a person whose actions contradict their stated beliefs or feelings

=D

My short definition of being a hypocrite is this:  pointing a finger at someone else for doing the same (or similar) things you do.

Changing your behavior because you are under conviction of Holy Spirit is not hypocritical. 

Demanding that those around you also change their behavior because you have been convicted may not be "hypocritical", but it is seems unwise to me.

You have not given enough information for me to know how you are actually dealing with your conviction, so what I say next might not apply to your circumstance...

If you have simply demanded that this program, which you may have previously watched with others in your home, not be viewed anymore, I can see why they might be using that word toward you.  But if it were presented in a more humble way, such as "I have been convicted to not watch this show.  I am tempted when I see it on the TV.  It would help me greatly if you would not watch it in my presence", others might not be so quick to label you.