What or Whom do you miss from FBC

tobytyler

Elect
Reaction score
The topic "When were you last at FBC and for what reason" is a great thread.  I know in the past, there was a thread of whom you miss from HAC, so I wanted to change it to FBC.

Who do you miss from seeing?  Maybe a SS teacher or singer....something along that line.  Or maybe, What do you miss from FBC.

The thing I miss is the music from FBC.  Back in the 60's and 70's, FBC had some great soloists.  These were the days before HAC or in HAC's earliest years, and everything seemed to be done for God, rather than for Monday's activity report.  Two great soloists that I wish I had recordings of were Mrs Lail and Mrs Sallee.  Their style and presentations of their songs were very different, but you could see the sincerity in both ladies as they ministered through their music.  I wish that more of you could've seen FBC before there was a college....I think that you would've been surprised how different it was in those days.

Even the baptismal service was so much more sincere.  Bro Hyles would baptize the converts, the auditorium lights would be dimmed and all attention was given to watching each convert's act of obedience to our Lord.  In the later years, lights stayed on, chatting could be heard throughout the auditorium, etc.....

After Jim was killed in a traffic accident on RT41 she remarried and I believe she lives in Michigan.

Her recordings are featured on our radio station.

I too enjoyed her singing then as well as now.

I miss the great chapel messages
Bob Hughes , Dan Parr men that lived what they preached

At the risk of being labeled - for the second time this week - a hacker I miss Bro. Hyles. Often.

bgwilkinson said:
After Jim was killed in a traffic accident on RT41 she remarried and I believe she lives in Michigan.

I miss the man she married, Eidson.

He was my favorite SS teacher.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

I REALLY miss the kids I was able to have in my SS class.

The excitement and energy the 10-15 minutes prior to the start of chapel daily....

Teri in NC said:
The excitement and energy the 10-15 minutes prior to the start of chapel daily....

Good times.

What will I miss the most?

The men in white coats.

Wait...never mind. They bring me my meds every day...

;D

Liberty Square sold a variation of chili and chips. It was a beanless chili that was tasty but not spicy and they called it meat and chips. I wish I had the recipe but have never been able to duplicate it. I miss that.

I miss old Mr Vapherzan.  <spelled wrong I know>  Piano side, second section.  He was *my* usher.
The guy who sang in all black except a white tie.  He was da bomb.
I really miss Bro. Hyles.  I don't care who knows it.  Whatever you can say about him, he loved us.  ALL of us.

I miss the teenage (at the time) singing groups - The Debonaires, Strength & Beauty, The Lewis Sisters, even the choir that used to sit on the platform on Wednesday nights.  I always liked hearing them sing in church or at high school chapel.

I miss Ms. Mayo  :)

Maybe something is wrong with me but I get upset that Bro Hyles preached so well but his family has fell apart.  Explain that to me...he preached standards but so many lived immoral lives...I just don't get it!! I'm stuck on those facts.....really....someone explain it to me

Dave Hyles was the worlds greatest youth director and young preacher, but that didn't work out so well for him either.

yes all the kids have had major immorality in their marriages. It can not be a coincidence.

Bro. Hyles dad was a drunk and a whore-monger.

It runs in the family. No amount of great preaching and showmanship is going to cover for immoral living.

Even Beverly Hyles has rejected Bro. Hyles extreme IFBx philosophies.

I do not know how else to explain it.

We had all been fooled for many years.

bgwilkinson, Thank you for your post. I want to have the right heart and move on .............

It has taken years for me to admit the facts and where they all lead.

I did not want to believe the underlying problems but they are now so obvious to all.

I do not blame Bro. Hyles as he was raised in a very bad family situation, adultery and divorce.

He saw it up close.

I don't think we know how bad it really was.

I am not angry with him, but have found in my heart to forgive him.

It would have been better for everyone if he would have resigned the pastorate in the 70s when things started to go wrong for Becky and Tim.

It was all down hill from there. If he had spent time raising his children instead of building the biggest church in the whole world for his dad he might have been able to prevent the complete collapse of his family, but he did not do that. He was very stubborn.

No matter how one in that situation tries to overcome it they may be unable.

We can all learn from this very sad story of a pastor and his family, but we must admit the truth.

The story can serve as a warning to all what can happen when you try to pastor a church that you probably should not have agreed to pastor.

He gave up his family to build FBCH.

I have a unique perspective of the family failure of Dr. Hyles. My parents attended a very small Baptist Church in Southern New Jersey. Sometime in the early 70's ( I was around 7th or 8th grade) Tim and Becky (Hyles) Smith came fresh out of TTC to pastor this small church. They were only there about one year maybe 2 at the most. This short period of time changed the direction of my family and has directly influenced my path and the path of my sister.  Because of the change of church atmosphere from a dead dry church to one of excitement and growth when they left we immediately found a church that was preaching the gospel and reaching out to the community. This church was pastored by A.V. Henderson.  Eventually both my sister and I ended up at HAC and graduated from there. Because of getting to know the Smiths this naturally evolved into being accepted as a friend to both Dave Hyles and Cindy and Jack Schaap. I did not get to know Linda or her eventual husband. Because my parents were such a great help to the Smiths I believe Dr Hyles felt a debt to my parents and was always very kind to me until the day he passed. My wife and I became what I would call close friends with Cindy and Jack. Because of things that were said in private I am convinced Jack Hyles knew of the problems with Dave and the family knew of a relationship that was at least inappropriate with JN. It is a shame that the family has broken up as it has all these years later, but I am forever indebted to them for the influence and direction, led by the Holy Spirit, that they brought to our family.

bgwilkinson said:
Dave Hyles was the worlds greatest youth director and young preacher, but that didn't work out so well for him either.

yes all the kids have had major immorality in their marriages. It can not be a coincidence.

Bro. Hyles dad was a drunk and a whore-monger.

It runs in the family. No amount of great preaching and showmanship is going to cover for immoral living.

Even Beverly Hyles has rejected Bro. Hyles extreme IFBx philosophies.

I do not know how else to explain it.

We had all been fooled for many years.

You might be a hacker if............. ;D

prophet said:
bgwilkinson said:

I miss the man she married, Eidson.

He was my favorite SS teacher.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
I miss his son.  He was a good friend long ago.