What was the worst sermon you ever heard at HAC?

then again as I try and remember it maybe I didn't hear it but was there shortly after the ramifications came down. Sounds like it was Jan of 79 when it happened

deertracks said:
then again as I try and remember it maybe I didn't hear it but was there shortly after the ramifications came down. Sounds like it was Jan of 79 when it happened

I came in September on '79.  Ray Young was the bus director and Kenaston was gone.  People were still talking about it.

I don't want to tell you who this is because I like him and we have all said some dumb things in sermons. This was about the Apostle Paul in Acts when he threw some sticks on the fire and a viper came out and bit him. It was something like "When the temp rises the vipers come out". It was all about warm weather and how we need to be careful of what we see.

BALAAM said:
I don't want to tell you who this is because I like him and we have all said some dumb things in sermons. This was about the Apostle Paul in Acts when he threw some sticks on the fire and a viper came out and bit him. It was something like "When the temp rises the vipers come out". It was all about warm weather and how we need to be careful of what we see.

There are so many sermons of that style.  The preacher actually has a very real truth to get across, but he has to find some story in the Bible to have a leaping off point.

Worst sermon I ever heard was at one of those conferences where we were out of class for several hours.
Some total moron named Bryan Sharp preached some nonsensical sermon about Satan's attempts to stop Jesus throughout history.
He started in the Garden if Eden, and went to the Cross, and didn't have a single valid theological point along the way.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
Worst sermon I ever heard was at one of those conferences where we were out of class for several hours.
Some total moron named Bryan Sharp preached some nonsensical sermon about Satan's attempts to stop Jesus throughout history.
He started in the Garden if Eden, and went to the Cross, and didn't have a single valid theological point along the way.

earnestly contend

but was it entertaining?

bgwilkinson said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

but was it entertaining?
Apparently.

I was incensed , so I'm not the one to ask.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
bgwilkinson said:
prophet said:

earnestly contend

but was it entertaining?
Apparently.

I was incensed , so I'm not the one to ask.

earnestly contend

Sounds like SDA Ellen G. White's book "The Great Controversy Between Christ and Satan"

Has anyone mentioned the Polished Shaft?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

2000 - Tom Neil - "I Choose You to Be My Enemy"

He named called everyone who was not "loyal" to Dr. Hyles and labeled them his enemy.  This message led to Dr. Hyles changing the entire tenor of his last Pastor's school before his death. 

Don't say how much you love Dr. Hyles and then label people who don't "bow the knee to Hammond" your enemy.  I know Dr. Hyles was a tough preacher, but his philosophy on love and forgiveness of our enemies should be emulated.

prophet said:
earnestly contend
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, you are talking about Evangelist Dr. Bryan Sharp Evangelist
Layfayette Bible Baptist Church, Ballwin, MO. He is also the Homiletics & Bible professor for the Revival Fires Online College.

That's Dr. Sharp to you.

http://revivalfirespub.org/?page_id=31

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?speakeronly=true&currsection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=Bryan_Sharp

At the Wednesday service of FBC Hammond's Youth Conference 2010, Jack Schaap gave his signature sermon "A Polished Shaft.

Jack+Schaap.jpg

JackyBoy said:
At the Wednesday service of FBC Hammond's Youth Conference 2010, Jack Schaap gave his signature sermon "A Polished Shaft.

Jack+Schaap.jpg

I have spoken to one of the men that was on that platform that day about that illustration.  It was about a year after Schaap was fired.  Even up until the point I brought it up, it never dawned on him.  Not someone I would call "naive".  I'm NOT a Schaap fan (was one of the 4%), wasn't there for this, but at least some didn't think of it.

sword said:
prophet said:
earnestly contend
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, you are talking about Evangelist Dr. Bryan Sharp Evangelist
Layfayette Bible Baptist Church, Ballwin, MO. He is also the Homiletics & Bible professor for the Revival Fires Online College.

That's Dr. Sharp to you.

http://revivalfirespub.org/?page_id=31

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?speakeronly=true&currsection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=Bryan_Sharp
Dr Moron

earnestly contend

I'm shocked that the name of Evangelist Dennis Corle hasn't been brought up. Students hated it when he would preach cause he was so long winded. The year I went to HAC they had Schaap preach after him so he would cut his sermon short.

labaptist said:
I'm shocked that the name of Evangelist Dennis Corle hasn't been brought up. Students hated it when he would preach cause he was so long winded.

He did that so you'd forget he was divorced.

Twisted said:
labaptist said:
I'm shocked that the name of Evangelist Dennis Corle hasn't been brought up. Students hated it when he would preach cause he was so long winded.

He did that so you'd forget he was divorced.

What is it with Baptist preachers and divorce?

labaptist said:
I'm shocked that the name of Evangelist Dennis Corle hasn't been brought up. Students hated it when he would preach cause he was so long winded. The year I went to HAC they had Schaap preach after him so he would cut his sermon short.
He asked to come to my church but he us way too long winded.

I had a pastor friend who started a new church.  The church was about a year old and was meeting in a storefront building.  His morning service would last one hour.  He told Corle that he would get him up to preach right away and he would need to be done in 45 - 50 minutes.  Corle preached an hour and a half.  Needless to say, it was the last time he was invited back.

RAIDER said:
I had a pastor friend who started a new church.  The church was about a year old and was meeting in a storefront building.  His morning service would last one hour.  He told Corle that he would get him up to preach right away and he would need to be done in 45 - 50 minutes.  Corle preached an hour and a half.  Needless to say, it was the last time he was invited back.

Listening to him for more than a half hour would be torture. Most tune him out at 20 minutes.