What was the worst sermon you ever heard at HAC?

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
I had a pastor friend who started a new church.  The church was about a year old and was meeting in a storefront building.  His morning service would last one hour.  He told Corle that he would get him up to preach right away and he would need to be done in 45 - 50 minutes.  Corle preached an hour and a half.  Needless to say, it was the last time he was invited back.

Listening to him for more than a half hour would be torture. Most tune him out at 20 minutes.

I agree.  I can handle 30 - 45 minutes.  There are few preachers who can preach over an hour and hold an audiences attention.

It amazes me that this guy is a "big shot" in the IFB movement. Say what you want to about Brother Hyles but he wasn't boring to listen to.

labaptist said:
It amazes me that this guy is a "big shot" in the IFB movement. Say what you want to about Brother Hyles but he wasn't boring to listen to.

He was a great entertainer.

bgwilkinson said:
labaptist said:

Dr Hyles was more than an entertainer, although he could crack me up with his jokes. There were many of his messages that challenged, inspired, informed and convicted me. Admittedly, I did not have any contact with him or his preaching/teaching after about 1990, but I don't throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to him or his influence.

Tarheel Baptist said:
bgwilkinson said:
labaptist said:

Dr Hyles was more than an entertainer, although he could crack me up with his jokes. There were many of his messages that challenged, inspired, informed and convicted me. Admittedly, I did not have any contact with him or his preaching/teaching after about 1990, but I don't throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to him or his influence.

Right on!!

Joe Combs had some humdingers.  He was nearly worshiped while I was there in the early 1980's, but I never could stand him and his arrogance and his outlines stolen from Warren Weirsbe.  Two come to mind however....

The infamous Pink Shirt sermon wherein it was insinuated that if you wore a pink shirt, you were a closet fag.  And heaven forbid you were wearing a sock tie and had that tucked into to the top of your pants which was also very much the style in those days.  (Hey...we'd just finished the 70's!  Don't judge!).  Of course, that was the day I had chosen to wear -- you got it, a pink shirt (monogrammed) and a grey sock tie tucked nicely into the top of my pants.  What a brow-beating I got that day.

The worst though was the day that Combs(eeze) preached against accredited schools and at the end asked everyone in the room to stand up if they would vow to never go to an accredited college/university without the specific permission of Hyles or Evans.  I had long planned on getting a doctorate and was just realizing the farce that was a non-accredited degree.  I wasn't about to stand and I wasn't about to give to dudes I'd never even personally met have "veto power" (as they called it) over any decision in my life.  Morons.  There were about 10-12 of us that I could see that did not stand -- many of them in the Hammond Baptist section just in front of the balcony in old Beiler auditorium.  (This was in 1982, I believe.)  Once the wicked sinners were identified by remaining seated, he harangued us over and over demanding that we get out of our seats and slither over to Evans office.  He called us all kinds of names.  I'm not sure what was supposed to happen there --- a beating, an expulsion, an exorcism, or what --- but to my knowledge no one went.  I sure wasn't going to...I was too near graduating from the hellhole, so I just sat and fumed.  It was then that I knew for sure I was engaged in a cult and counted the hours until my escape.

The weirdest chapel sermon was when they had John R. Rice the last time.  I don't think he knew where he was about half the time.  He kept repeating himself.  It was so sad and humiliating to him.  And then, halfway through the sermon, he turned around and said something to Evans and started shuffling down the side aisle of the auditorium.  Evans jumped up and started leading songs (ie...flailing his arms like he was swatting flies.)  After an uncomfortable 15 minute pause or so, Rice shuffled back up on the platform oh-so-slowly and finished the sermon.  I found out later that he needed to pee and left to take care of business.  Sad.

Of course, I'm not including any of the absurdities I heard Meister spew in one of this abusive tirades during split chapels.  Thank God, Vineyard was gone by the time I was there or I'm sure I'd be mentioning him too.

Holy Moley said:
I'm not including any of the absurdities I heard Meister spew in one of this abusive tirades during split chapels.

I actually enjoyed going to split chapel to see again how Meister would make a fool of himself.  I remember once he smashed some cassettes with a hammer.

I think 10 were saved and 4 called to preach after that fiasco.

Holy Moley said:
Joe Combs had some humdingers.  He was nearly worshiped while I was there in the early 1980's, but I never could stand him and his arrogance and his outlines stolen from Warren Weirsbe.  Two come to mind however....

The infamous Pink Shirt sermon wherein it was insinuated that if you wore a pink shirt, you were a closet fag.  And heaven forbid you were wearing a sock tie and had that tucked into to the top of your pants which was also very much the style in those days.  (Hey...we'd just finished the 70's!  Don't judge!).  Of course, that was the day I had chosen to wear -- you got it, a pink shirt (monogrammed) and a grey sock tie tucked nicely into the top of my pants.  What a brow-beating I got that day.

The worst though was the day that Combs(eeze) preached against accredited schools and at the end asked everyone in the room to stand up if they would vow to never go to an accredited college/university without the specific permission of Hyles or Evans.  I had long planned on getting a doctorate and was just realizing the farce that was a non-accredited degree.  I wasn't about to stand and I wasn't about to give to dudes I'd never even personally met have "veto power" (as they called it) over any decision in my life.  Morons.  There were about 10-12 of us that I could see that did not stand -- many of them in the Hammond Baptist section just in front of the balcony in old Beiler auditorium.  (This was in 1982, I believe.)  Once the wicked sinners were identified by remaining seated, he harangued us over and over demanding that we get out of our seats and slither over to Evans office.  He called us all kinds of names.  I'm not sure what was supposed to happen there --- a beating, an expulsion, an exorcism, or what --- but to my knowledge no one went.  I sure wasn't going to...I was too near graduating from the hellhole, so I just sat and fumed.  It was then that I knew for sure I was engaged in a cult and counted the hours until my escape.

The weirdest chapel sermon was when they had John R. Rice the last time.  I don't think he knew where he was about half the time.  He kept repeating himself.  It was so sad and humiliating to him.  And then, halfway through the sermon, he turned around and said something to Evans and started shuffling down the side aisle of the auditorium.  Evans jumped up and started leading songs (ie...flailing his arms like he was swatting flies.)  After an uncomfortable 15 minute pause or so, Rice shuffled back up on the platform oh-so-slowly and finished the sermon.  I found out later that he needed to pee and left to take care of business.  Sad.

Of course, I'm not including any of the absurdities I heard Meister spew in one of this abusive tirades during split chapels.  Thank God, Vineyard was gone by the time I was there or I'm sure I'd be mentioning him too.
Holey Moley!

Casteel's sermon on love while preaching in a Barney suit.