What was your first car?

Travel volleyball - my final year. She could play in college, but doesn't want to go to college - which is fine with me. The ROI on a college education ain't what it used to be.

So true regarding the value versus expense of a college education anymore. Besides that they just shut the campus down for any ol thing these days. ??

I am pretty interested in sports and Alayboy is probably borderline for travel ball baseball material, but we chose a long time ago to not go that route because of the level of commitment required. My older brother had a daughter that played for the state tournament softball team in Grove City about 10 years ago and he coached her travel ball team. They went all over the place. I just couldn't see myself driving that much.

Last edited:
Well, define terms - what is a "first" car? I practiced driving in my father's car and the family car, so these were the "first" cars I drove. I think his car was an Oldsmobile... later on, he bought a new car and I used his old one (the Olds). Even later, he bought a car for me to travel to and from college; until I was out of school, I was the only driver, and I tend to think of this one as my "first" car, but I didn't buy it (this was a Pontiac) After I graduated, he offered to sell me his car; it wouldn't have been my choice, but I knew that it was in pretty decent shape, but that's the "first" car I owned (a Buick Regal).

So, take your pick.

Last edited:
I had finished high school & had a good paying job and still living at home. I decided to ask my dad to go with me to find a car to buy at a local dealer. We went to the used car section & of course I walked toward the hotrods. Dad said lets go this way. I shook my head no & pointed toward the cool cars. Dad had another idea. He found a 4 door, ugly green, family type 64 Chevy Biscayne with the old heavy duty metal bumpers. I plead with him but he asked me to trust him..............so that's what I bought while wondering about dad's wisdom.

Within the 1st year I had 3 accidents. 1 was my fault when I rear ended & totaled a new corvette. The 2nd was a black ice crash totaled the other vehicle. The 3rd when in a gravel parking lot a VW backed out in front of me. The only damage to to the Chevy tank was a dent to a headlight frame.
Another time driving home on a country road at 3 am, I slide into a corn field & drove through the corn & back out onto the road.

After all that I thought of my dad as a very wise man.

A year & a half later I bought a hotrod.

Technically speaking, the first car that was mine to drive was my sister's 73 Firebird Esprit (I think that was the mode name) It was a body putty special complete with multicolor wheelwells that wouldn't take much effort to pull off the body. The landau roof was mushy underneath in spots.
The car was a disaster to look at, but its 350 engine and studded snow tires ensured that I could lay strips of rubber anytime and anywhere I wanted.

I had a 1971 Ford Mustang. I bought it when I was only 15. Didn't drive it until I was 17. I loved that car, and wish I could find
another like it.

1980 Pontiac LeMans. 4-door.

Was raised in the country. Simmons Hill was the Blueberry Hill of my region. Hubba!

'wild as a mink but sweet as soda pop'

Last edited: