What would you call it?

CrAyCrAyJaY

Elect
Reaction score
Ever since I've seen the ugly truth of the IFB and I really don't know what to
Call myself, I know for a fact that I'm saved and I know I'm going to heaven when I die I
Still believe in God and Jesus, but I don't believe in the whole Baptist bull, I don't pray or read
My Bible and I'm more or less skeptical of what preachers preach.

CrAyCrAyJaY said:
Call myself, I know for a fact that I'm saved and I know I'm going to heaven when I die I
Still believe in God and Jesus, but I don't believe in the whole Baptist bull, I don't pray or read

Praying and reading your Bible is "Baptist bull"?

I mean what would you call it, like I can't say I'm agnostic, because I believe in God and Jesus, definitely can't say I'm an Atheist, could I call it irreligious? I do go to church once a week, just wondering what y'all would call it.  When I said "Baptist bull" , I meant like when preachers would preach against going to the movies and yet they'd watch the same movies I saw at the theater,or when preachers would preach about obeying the "man of God" I mean if you carefully read my statement, obviously you wouldn't have gotten that I was talking about prayer or Bible reading as what I was referring to when I said "Baptist Bull"

Twisted said:
CrAyCrAyJaY said:

What he said.  I can see how the hypocrisy of some men can rock one's faith (especially if it was based on men and not on Jesus Christ -- many of the IFB leaders about whom you speak were teaching people dependence upon themselves.  However, it would be a mistake to assume that all IFB pastors are like this.  You might be able to name a dozen evil leaders... but there are thousands upon thousands of IFB churches.

While we can know a little of God from creation, He has given us a revelation of Himself in His word, the Bible.  If nothing else, read it to see what God would have YOU to do.

I have been in a similar situation; I've been in churches where the pastor committed adultery; I've been in churches with hypocritical, power-hungry men who ranted at us about tithing, and then embezzled the church funds.  They would take up money for "faith-promise missions" and then spend it on staff. They were fearful of exposure, and ran down anyone who left who knew the truth.

Yet, I still go to church - regardless of what man has done, God has written in His word that I am not to abandon or give up on church.  And, He tells me that He wants me to come to Him with my needs and wants in prayer.

So, yes, I have triggers that remind me of the dark times, and I have scars that are slowly healing... but I don't blame God for them.  It was sinful men who did these things.

Walt said:
Twisted said:
CrAyCrAyJaY said:

Thanks, never thought of it like that.

What he said.  I can see how the hypocrisy of some men can rock one's faith (especially if it was based on men and not on Jesus Christ -- many of the IFB leaders about whom you speak were teaching people dependence upon themselves.  However, it would be a mistake to assume that all IFB pastors are like this.  You might be able to name a dozen evil leaders... but there are thousands upon thousands of IFB churches.

While we can know a little of God from creation, He has given us a revelation of Himself in His word, the Bible.  If nothing else, read it to see what God would have YOU to do.

I have been in a similar situation; I've been in churches where the pastor committed adultery; I've been in churches with hypocritical, power-hungry men who ranted at us about tithing, and then embezzled the church funds.  They would take up money for "faith-promise missions" and then spend it on staff. They were fearful of exposure, and ran down anyone who left who knew the truth.

Yet, I still go to church - regardless of what man has done, God has written in His word that I am not to abandon or give up on church.  And, He tells me that He wants me to come to Him with my needs and wants in prayer.

So, yes, I have triggers that remind me of the dark times, and I have scars that are slowly healing... but I don't blame God for them.  It was sinful men who did these things.

Well it also looks like a lot of OBC alums have left the IFB movement and are flying solo.

Jesse Jackson: Professional Body Builder also a strong believer in the Seeker-Sensitive movement and attends Prosperity TBN Church Elevate Life Church in Frisco where Keith Craft has statues of Paul Crouch and Joel Oteen

Michael Shaver: Still at Windsor Hills? Still an IFB if not at Southern Hills. He was tight with the Vineyards.

Jonathan Magas: Left IFB ministry to work a "real" job that pays. He's now a big wig sales rep for a trucking company. Don't know if he's still IFB, left the Vineyards, took his talent to Heartland/Southwest.

Joel McCarty: A Tattoo Hipster Pastor who's studying under Steve Frutick/Carl Lentz/Perry Noble/Craig Groeschell. Wonder What The Vineyards think? Also Caleb Garraway for that matter who's strongly against the Seeker-Sensitive/Emergent/Rock N Roll movement.

Caleb Garraway: World Famous Evangelist still in the IFB movement and has made the big time preaching at FBC Hammond, and has been endorsed by Jack Trieber. Also sings on Alvin Martinez records. He was also a protege of the Vineyards and even though he's become famous and left OBC/Windsor Hills, he's still an IFB and he's been endorsed by Jack Trieber/Larry Brown/Tony Hutson/John Wilkerson as he's spoken at FBC Hammond quite a bit in the last few years.

AlvinMartinezVoice said:
Well it also looks like a lot of OBC alums have left the IFB movement and are flying solo.

Jesse Jackson: Professional Body Builder also a strong believer in the Seeker-Sensitive movement and attends Prosperity TBN Church Elevate Life Church in Frisco where Keith Craft has statues of Paul Crouch and Joel Oteen

Michael Shaver: Still at Windsor Hills? Still an IFB if not at Southern Hills. He was tight with the Vineyards.

Jonathan Magas: Left IFB ministry to work a "real" job that pays. He's now a big wig sales rep for a trucking company. Don't know if he's still IFB, left the Vineyards, took his talent to Heartland/Southwest.

Joel McCarty: A Tattoo Hipster Pastor who's studying under Steve Frutick/Carl Lentz/Perry Noble/Craig Groeschell. Wonder What The Vineyards think? Also Caleb Garraway for that matter who's strongly against the Seeker-Sensitive/Emergent/Rock N Roll movement.

Caleb Garraway: World Famous Evangelist still in the IFB movement and has made the big time preaching at FBC Hammond, and has been endorsed by Jack Trieber. Also sings on Alvin Martinez records. He was also a protege of the Vineyards and even though he's become famous and left OBC/Windsor Hills, he's still an IFB and he's been endorsed by Jack Trieber/Larry Brown/Tony Hutson/John Wilkerson as he's spoken at FBC Hammond quite a bit in the last few years.

Normally, repetition is the key to learning.  With you and your posts, it's just flat-out boring.

CrAyCrAyJaY said:

I would call you a Christian.  I'm not sure if this is in the scope of this forum, but since you're saved--you're a Christian.  Since I've left WHBC, I'm less worried about denominational distinction and have doubled down on being a Christian.  I believe that denominations, to an extent, divide us into "us" and "them", where Christians are all in the same family.  Before I'm labeled a heretic, I believe that churches should follow the fundamentals of the faith, but if one is a Christian, they should be able to rely on God's leading as to what denomination, or "title" they should be known by.  I've been told by a few people, that if you keep your eyes on God, then you won't be affected by the misdeeds of men.  It's easy for us to put people on pedestals, but since that would go against the commandment of no other idols before God, we are better off in fostering our relationship with God than looking to the approval of men.  That was one of my biggest problems growing up, looking up to fallible men that appeared to be true men of God, that turned out to be just fallible men.  I think it's healthy to admire people, and wish the emulate successes they've had, but we have to be careful about putting to much stock into it.  I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, or if this makes sense; if you're looking for a title, how about Child of God. :)

Alvin you are more lies and deceit than you are truth. You are a shame to your family and your pastor.

I am a Christian first because I belong to Christ. Secondly Im an independent Baptist not bc i grew IFB but bc after reading the Bible I believe the "core doctrines" ( The distinctives) so by default i attend and serve in an IFB .......its not perfect but we aspire to be like Christ.