What's Better: 12 Years or a Bullet in the Head?

IFB X-Files

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
2 years ago next month, a pastor friend of mine put a bullet in his brain and ended his life.  Why did he do this?  One day at his office, the local police raided it to obtain evidence of this pastors inappropriate behavior on the internet with what he thought was a teenage girl.

Instead of that, he barricaded himself in his office and a little while later ended his life.  Today, his adult children have moved on (as much as is visible to others) and his wife has joined another church and is involved in its ministry.  So....is it better that he's gone and the family no longer has to deal with him and the memory of his "supposed" crime (it was never investigated after his death) or would it be better for all if he was tried, convicted and put in prision for 12 years?

IFB I'm sure you have asked yourself what could have been done more? There are things in life we will never know the answers to until we see Jesus then we will know ...........I'm sorry for your loss. His family will never be the same it sounds like they have turned it into a learning experience instead of being bitter!! God bless you my friend!!

I remember that situation.  Sounds strange to call such a devastating event a situation.  It is good to hear that his wife has found another church and I hope she is healing.

Makes me shake my head and wonder if these pastors ever read about Achan, but that is a question I need to ask of myself.

Well, it appears that no one is willing to respond to my question.

Maybe I need to be more blunt.  So...would it have been better for all concerned if Schaap would have taken his own life?

Here are my thoughts:
1.  Jesus condones execution for those who molest children  (you know, the 'ol millstone and drowning thing)  Since no current law today (100 years ago, yes) would do that, should he have done it himself?

2.  Samson's affair resulted in his own suicide, with the apparent blessing of God.

3.  If alive:
a.  constant reminders of the tragedy and wickedness.  Family "visitation" will forever dredge up the pain.
b.  all trust is forever lost
c.  when released, what happens when he accidentaly runs into the victim or her family?
d.  everyone who ever sees him will remember the horror of what was done (i.e. Dave Hyles)
e.  his family will never really "move on" from this.

4.  If dead:
a.  the pain of his passing will soon be a forgetton memory
b.  everyone can "move on" with no lingering doubts of seeing this man again.  His wife could freely remarry and live her years in happiness.
c.  the taxpayers save a small fortune.
d.  it's a win-win all around.

Thanks for tuning in.

It's not our call to say someone should end their life.....you made some good points but we are not God....

The sad part about this is not one wins...........all involved are coping the best way possible........some will eat, some will drink, some will pop pills, etc.

redeemed, We don't get to pick our families ........we could be friends :) we have alot in common. I'm on my way to church we will talk later..

IFB X-Files said:
Well, it appears that no one is willing to respond to my question.

Maybe I need to be more blunt.  So...would it have been better for all concerned if Schaap would have taken his own life?

Here are my thoughts:
1.  Jesus condones execution for those who molest children  (you know, the 'ol millstone and drowning thing)  Since no current law today (100 years ago, yes) would do that, should he have done it himself?

2.  Samson's affair resulted in his own suicide, with the apparent blessing of God.

3.  If alive:
a.  constant reminders of the tragedy and wickedness.  Family "visitation" will forever dredge up the pain.
b.  all trust is forever lost
c.  when released, what happens when he accidentaly runs into the victim or her family?
d.  everyone who ever sees him will remember the horror of what was done (i.e. Dave Hyles)
e.  his family will never really "move on" from this.

4.  If dead:
a.  the pain of his passing will soon be a forgetton memory
b.  everyone can "move on" with no lingering doubts of seeing this man again.  His wife could freely remarry and live her years in happiness.
c.  the taxpayers save a small fortune.
d.  it's a win-win all around.

Thanks for tuning in.

Just...

no.