What's the Flavor?

Binaca Chugger

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with this school.  I have only heard the pastor preach a couple of times.  It seems like they have some old school HACkers along with a blend of the Sword crowd and a dash of modernism.  Am I perceiving this right, or are they basically the same as HAC, or totally different?

By what do you consider a "dash" of modernism?

Just that.  Some leanings towards modernism in practice, not enough to actually be labeled modernist.

They are doing quite well.  You wouldn't like it.
Ha Ha. ::)
I really don't know much about the place.  Have heard some criticism ever since they opened.  I have learned through the years not to trust criticism as solid fact.  I know they are growing.  Just curious as to their schtick.

All of the IFB Bible colleges are unique in their own way, or at least the ones I am more familiar with.  Just wondering what the take of various people would be on this school's position and direction.  How would you describe it to an old-school HACker like me?

Binaca Chugger said:
By what do you consider a "dash" of modernism?

Just that.  Some leanings towards modernism in practice, not enough to actually be labeled modernist.

You still give no example of what you're talking about.  What "modernistic practice" do you mean?

I really don't know much about the place.  Have heard some criticism ever since they opened.  I have learned through the years not to trust criticism as solid fact.  I know they are growing.  Just curious as to their schtick.

All of the IFB Bible colleges are unique in their own way, or at least the ones I am more familiar with.  Just wondering what the take of various people would be on this school's position and direction.  How would you describe it to an old-school HACker like me?

All three of my children went there.  One graduated and stayed on church staff for a year or so - she's now on deputation.  One son went for a year, our other son went for a couple of years, then transferred to another bible college and graduated.

As far as what you learn about the Bible, my experience, as with 90% of Bible colleges, is that you'll learn little more than a few years in sunday school.  WCBC is the largest and heaviest recruiter, they really go after the students.  As far as the rest, its not much different than HAC.  Good campus life.  If I were to choose a school on the West coast, it would be Golden State Baptist.

I can't speak to the earlier years of WCBC, but one of my sons attended last year.  He absolutely loved the entire experience and really hated to leave.  He thought the courses were challenging, most of the people he met were genuine, the ministry opportunities were bountiful and the college staff were incredibly supportive. 

In my opinion, Pastor Chappell has a keen eye for staff as exemplified in the addition of a man to fill the new position of Ministry Operations Administrator, Dr. Tom Shepherd.  He is a man of impeccable character who has recently retired from an impressively successful career. 

Other than that the Executive Vice President of the school uses horrible logic (where he doesn't rely on plain assertion) and shows evidence of poor reasoning ability to defend his theological views (whether you agree with his views or not), I don't really have one.

Personally, if I am going to a place of higher learning, particularly one that is supposed to train me for ministry, I want to go to a place where they teach me how to think, not a place where they just spoon-feed me their own pet interpretations. As I have explained to family members who are considering Bible college, look for one that teaches you how to read Scripture for yourself, not one that just expects you to regurgitate what they tell you. Based on this, at least one faculty member (and one in a position of leadership) isn't qualified to do this.

rsc2a said:
Other than that the Executive Vice President of the school uses horrible logic (where he doesn't rely on plain assertion) and shows evidence of poor reasoning ability to defend his theological views (whether you agree with his views or not), I don't really have one.

Personally, if I am going to a place of higher learning, particularly one that is supposed to train me for ministry, I want to go to a place where they teach me how to think, not a place where they just spoon-feed me their own pet interpretations. As I have explained to family members who are considering Bible college, look for one that teaches you how to read Scripture for yourself, not one that just expects you to regurgitate what they tell you. Based on this, at least one faculty member (and one in a position of leadership) isn't qualified to do this.

First, the magazine is written for a specific target audience.  It makes no pretense to being a theological journal.  To be honest, if the articles were written in the style that you describe, they would probably lose 50% of their readership.

Second, while I agree that training students to think for themselves is great (when I taught college level I did just that) there is no "major" IFB school that will do it.  It is counterproductive to their purpose.  This is a tragedy but that's the way it goes.

IFB X-Files said:
.....while I agree that training students to think for themselves is great (when I taught college level I did just that) there is no "major" IFB school that will do it.  It is counterproductive to their purpose.  This is a tragedy but that's the way it goes.

Young adults should have been trained to "think for themselves" at home. 

JrChurch said:
IFB X-Files said:
.....while I agree that training students to think for themselves is great (when I taught college level I did just that) there is no "major" IFB school that will do it.  It is counterproductive to their purpose.  This is a tragedy but that's the way it goes.

Young adults should have been trained to "think for themselves" at home.

1 - Many parents don't know how to think for themselves. It's hard to teach something that you don't know, especially when you are not even aware of your own lack.
2 - Many parents are terrified of the idea that their kids would think for themselves.
3 - College is a place of learning. Good colleges don't just teach students how to regurgitate data; they also teach them how to find and process new (and "new" old) data.
4 - One of the things you should always continually learn to do is learn how to learn. It should start at home, but it's a lifetime process.

Even the better teachers in these schools will only be allowed something like:

"There are many different interpretations regarding this passage.  Some feel it means... while others believe..."

Student (Because he has be trained to trust the leader):  "What do we believe?"  - or - "What do you believe."

Here, the teacher is stuck.  He must proclaim what the Preacher thinks or be in danger of contradicting the almighty MOG.  SO, he will state: "Preacher believes...." -or- if he is unsure what Preacher believes: "That is a good question for preacher.  Why don't you ask it in Q&A?"

Binaca Chugger said:

"There are many different interpretations regarding this passage.  Some feel it means... while others believe..."

Student (Because he has be trained to trust the leader):  "What do we believe?"  - or - "What do you believe."

Here, the teacher is stuck.  He must proclaim what the Preacher thinks or be in danger of contradicting the almighty MOG.  SO, he will state: "Preacher believes...." -or- if he is unsure what Preacher believes: "That is a good question for preacher.  Why don't you ask it in Q&A?"

I'm fine with that. My (teaching) conversations go a lot like this. In fact, it would be very similar to:

"There are many different interpretations regarding this passage.  Some feel it means...because of.... while others believe... because of... Personally, I think... are right, but I admit it's not always clear."

rsc2a said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I'm fine with that. My (teaching) conversations go a lot like this. In fact, it would be very similar to:

"There are many different interpretations regarding this passage.  Some feel it means...because of.... while others believe... because of... Personally, I think... are right, but I admit it's not always clear."

The point is that there are only a few who will teach this way.  And, in the end, because we have so conditioned our group to just simply take the party line - "What does preacher believe?"  becomes the accepted definition of what is right.  The teacher is not allowed to teach in a way that challenges thought.

Binaca Chugger said:
Binaca Chugger said:
The point is that there are only a few who will teach this way.  And, in the end, because we have so conditioned our group to just simply take the party line - "What does preacher believe?"  becomes the accepted definition of what is right.  The teacher is not allowed to teach in a way that challenges thought.

If you want to lose your job, teach contrary to the pastors position.  I had a situation like that, I went to my pastor and discussed it and he told me to teach it my way.  He is not your usual IFB pastor.