WHBC Remembered

JLC63

Elect
Reaction score
I am probably unique to your forum, as I don’t think you get many unbelievers here. My association with JAV goes back longer than many of you have been alive.
It was the early 80s. I had just gotten out of the Marines and was in graduate school. A woman I was dating told me her parents were urging her to start attending church. She had grown up in an Independent Baptist church in Texas.  She didn’t want to go alone the first time, and I was drafted. There was a church near her apartment, we could walk.
We walked to the Sunday morning service of WHBC. I quickly noticed many of the the people were giving us nervous glances. One woman asked, “are you a member here?” She said, “no, this is our first visit.” The woman said, “well, ah welcome.” I later learned the reason. She was wearing slacks. The service was the usual until the sermon. JAV began to speak. He seemed to be making it up as he went along. He had been the meanest kid, in the meanest family in West Texas. He told how he had recently subdued an robber armed with a pistol by throwing hot coffee in his face. He paused during the sermon, pointed angrily, and said, “you should not be looking around when the man of God is preaching!” He wasn’t pointing at me, but I spent the rest of the sermon sitting at attention looking straight ahead like I was in Marine training.  A few minutes later, he pointed at another parishioner and shouted, “you should not be reading the Bible when the man of God is preaching!” I would have thought that if anything was always allowed in church, it would be reading the Bible. I also thought, Man of God was a title given by others. I never heard someone describe himself that way.
I must admit breathing a sigh of relief when we exited the building, and walked across the parking lot. I just stared at her. She began to plead, “they are not all like that, I’ve never seen anything like that.” She seemed to feel bad that this had been my introduction to her faith, and invited me to attend church, at a different church, several more times. The invitations continued after we stopped dating. I politely declined them all.
During the service I heard them mention that the service was televised. I don’t remember any cameras. Perhaps, because I was sitting at attention staring straight ahead. I found the service was on at 7am Sunday morning. I wasn’t about to get up that early, but I put my recently purchased VCR to use and recorded it. I didn’t enjoy my time in the church, but in my easy chair, with a cup of coffee, free to laugh, this became my Sunday morning, sometimes afternoon entertainment. I was rarely disappointed. His sermons were often superhero stories, starring himself. He liked to talk about his Vietnam experiences. He  once encountered a tribe of baboons and proceeded to shoot them with his M-16. Baboon is not a derogatory term for the enemy. He was boasting about shooting apes with a military assault rifle. On military day JAV preached wearing the jacket of an Army non-commissioned officer (which could not have been buttoned), and a beret.  The men in the congregation were dressed likewise. The women dressed as nurses in Florence Nightingale dresses. Military Officers wear their uniforms properly or not a all. I would not be caught dead wearing bits and pieces of my Marine uniform. I knew some military nurses. They wore their uniform or, scrubs, including pants. Most of his antics were amusing, but some were sad. There was a down syndrome child JAV used as an anti-abortion prop. He would shout for the child, and the child would come running. He would give him a brief hug, and then order him off the stage. When the school lost a football game, it was because the quarterback (his son) didn’t have any sense.  This was WHBC thirty years ago. Has it changed much?
I moved away in the mid 80s, and when I returned for visits, I noticed the show was no longer on.  I have returned to the area, and saw on the news Tom Vineyard of WHBC making outrageous claims before some government panel. If you are going to lie about statistics, don’t lie about statistics that can be easily debunked by a Google search.  I did a Google search on him, found this forum, and have been lurking ever since.
I wish I had kept some of the tapes. Are there any good JAV rants on YouTube? I don’t think I want to watch Tom Vineyard. He’s more sad than funny. The childhood he must have had. The only ones who had it worse are the Vineyard women, and they had a choice before saying, “I do.”
I would like to thank the members for catching me up on my Sunday hobby, and satisfying my curiosity with inside knowledge, I was never privy to. 

JLC63 said:
I am probably unique to your forum, as I don’t think you get many unbelievers here. My association with JAV goes back longer than many of you have been alive.
It was the early 80s. I had just gotten out of the Marines and was in graduate school. A woman I was dating told me her parents were urging her to start attending church. She had grown up in an Independent Baptist church in Texas.  She didn’t want to go alone the first time, and I was drafted. There was a church near her apartment, we could walk.
We walked to the Sunday morning service of WHBC. I quickly noticed many of the the people were giving us nervous glances. One woman asked, “are you a member here?” She said, “no, this is our first visit.” The woman said, “well, ah welcome.” I later learned the reason. She was wearing slacks. The service was the usual until the sermon. JAV began to speak. He seemed to be making it up as he went along. He had been the meanest kid, in the meanest family in West Texas. He told how he had recently subdued an robber armed with a pistol by throwing hot coffee in his face. He paused during the sermon, pointed angrily, and said, “you should not be looking around when the man of God is preaching!” He wasn’t pointing at me, but I spent the rest of the sermon sitting at attention looking straight ahead like I was in Marine training.  A few minutes later, he pointed at another parishioner and shouted, “you should not be reading the Bible when the man of God is preaching!” I would have thought that if anything was always allowed in church, it would be reading the Bible. I also thought, Man of God was a title given by others. I never heard someone describe himself that way.
I must admit breathing a sigh of relief when we exited the building, and walked across the parking lot. I just stared at her. She began to plead, “they are not all like that, I’ve never seen anything like that.” She seemed to feel bad that this had been my introduction to her faith, and invited me to attend church, at a different church, several more times. The invitations continued after we stopped dating. I politely declined them all.
During the service I heard them mention that the service was televised. I don’t remember any cameras. Perhaps, because I was sitting at attention staring straight ahead. I found the service was on at 7am Sunday morning. I wasn’t about to get up that early, but I put my recently purchased VCR to use and recorded it. I didn’t enjoy my time in the church, but in my easy chair, with a cup of coffee, free to laugh, this became my Sunday morning, sometimes afternoon entertainment. I was rarely disappointed. His sermons were often superhero stories, starring himself. He liked to talk about his Vietnam experiences. He  once encountered a tribe of baboons and proceeded to shoot them with his M-16. Baboon is not a derogatory term for the enemy. He was boasting about shooting apes with a military assault rifle. On military day JAV preached wearing the jacket of an Army non-commissioned officer (which could not have been buttoned), and a beret.  The men in the congregation were dressed likewise. The women dressed as nurses in Florence Nightingale dresses. Military Officers wear their uniforms properly or not a all. I would not be caught dead wearing bits and pieces of my Marine uniform. I knew some military nurses. They wore their uniform or, scrubs, including pants. Most of his antics were amusing, but some were sad. There was a down syndrome child JAV used as an anti-abortion prop. He would shout for the child, and the child would come running. He would give him a brief hug, and then order him off the stage. When the school lost a football game, it was because the quarterback (his son) didn’t have any sense.  This was WHBC thirty years ago. Has it changed much?
I moved away in the mid 80s, and when I returned for visits, I noticed the show was no longer on.  I have returned to the area, and saw on the news Tom Vineyard of WHBC making outrageous claims before some government panel. If you are going to lie about statistics, don’t lie about statistics that can be easily debunked by a Google search.  I did a Google search on him, found this forum, and have been lurking ever since.
I wish I had kept some of the tapes. Are there any good JAV rants on YouTube? I don’t think I want to watch Tom Vineyard. He’s more sad than funny. The childhood he must have had. The only ones who had it worse are the Vineyard women, and they had a choice before saying, “I do.”
I would like to thank the members for catching me up on my Sunday hobby, and satisfying my curiosity with inside knowledge, I was never privy to.

You remind me ol Shakechucker!!!  Only his FFF days are over any more.  Being back from the 80's you would find that JAV never had new stories and he still was always the hero.  He got alot of miles out of it all but, of course, these days he is just a shell of his old self.

Wasn't that handicap fella named Virgil?  Always said "yes maam" to JAV I believe.  He finally had to quit coming because he became uncontrolable.  Saw him many years later in a nursing home.

Stick around and tell some more old JAV stories.  Would be intersting to read.

JLC63 said:
I am probably unique to your forum, as I don’t think you get many unbelievers here.

I hope I echo the sentiments of the others when I say that my prayer is that you see something in someone that would cause you to desire to have a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Sadly, a Christ-like spirit is not always found here and places like this. This, among other things, is a place of debate and venting frustrations. Please don't let hypocritical "Christians" (which would be all of us at times) keep you from believing.

I quickly noticed many of the the people were giving us nervous glances...I later learned the reason. She was wearing slacks.

That is unfortunate. Too many  times people are judged solely on how they look and not what is in their heart. 

He told how he had recently subdued an robber armed with a pistol by throwing hot coffee in his face.

I think I might have been there for that service. That story sounds very familiar. He said, "I switched my coffee to my left hand to free my right hand. My right arm immediately went as stiff as a 2X4." Then, he proceeded to call a staff member up there to feel his arm just to prove that he wasn't lying.

I also thought, Man of God was a title given by others. I never heard someone describe himself that way.

You are spot on here. A humble preacher would never refer to himself as a "Man of God." 

This was WHBC thirty years ago. Has it changed much?

I'm afraid not.

Citadel of Truth said:
JLC63 said:
I am probably unique to your forum, as I don’t think you get many unbelievers here.

I hope I echo the sentiments of the others when I say that my prayer is that you see something in someone that would cause you to desire to have a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Sadly, a Christ-like spirit is not always found here and places like this. This, among other things, is a place of debate and venting frustrations. Please don't let hypocritical "Christians" (which would be all of us at times) keep you from believing.

I quickly noticed many of the the people were giving us nervous glances...I later learned the reason. She was wearing slacks.

That is unfortunate. Too many  times people are judged solely on how they look and not what is in their heart. 

He told how he had recently subdued an robber armed with a pistol by throwing hot coffee in his face.

I think I might have been there for that service. That story sounds very familiar. He said, "I switched my coffee to my left hand to free my right hand. My right arm immediately went as stiff as a 2X4." Then, he proceeded to call a staff member up there to feel his arm just to prove that he wasn't lying.

I also thought, Man of God was a title given by others. I never heard someone describe himself that way.

You are spot on here. A humble preacher would never refer to himself as a "Man of God." 

This was WHBC thirty years ago. Has it changed much?

I'm afraid not.

Amen, sometimes Christians are our own worst enemies.

I guess JLC63 is a one post wonder

Thanks all. Virgil, I’ve been racking my mind trying to remember his name. “Come here Virgil. Give me a hug Virgil. Sit down Virgil. Hurry up Virgil.”
I appreciate your concern TruthBearer, but the good natured debate on the forum did not cause me to lose my faith. It wasn’t even JAV. A Philosophy Professor at OU did that. The forum members seem to be sincere honest people trying to do the right thing. That is refreshing in a world of, “Jesus wants you to be rich. Jesus wants to heal your cancer, but first you have to send Jesus some money. Just send the check to me, I’ll make sure Jesus gets it, or Reverend, Father, Minister, Guru, or some other form of supreme leader is always right.”
I saw two types of Officers in the Marine Corps in the post Vietnam era. Most were dedicated professionals who did their duty, but there was a small group of macho crazies who would not shut up with their hero stories, and always wanted to subject subordinates to silly manhood tests. A real man can eat a live snake. A real man can endure a beating. Their knowledge of tactics consisted of charge and shoot. The modern military with it’s emphasis on technology and tactics has tended to weed out officers like this.
JAV fascinated me because he was a Vietnam era mach crazy with near absolute power. It was a perfect storm for him. Fascinating for me to watch him on television, but you were the ones stormed upon. There is an old saying: fascinating is when someone else’s neck is on the line. This is a religious forum so I cleaned the saying up a bit. He had a captive audience for his hero stories, and students had to endure his manhood tests. In the military, the macho crazies were restrained by higher authority, but if I understand your denomination correctly, there is no higher authority, especially if you own the Church. You are a very forgiving bunch. You seem to forgive anything that isn’t sexual. JAV understood this, Junior did not.
I have kept a low profile here, because I realize this is not a forum to debate the existence of God, and I am a guest here.
I do appreciate the inside knowledge of JAV. If I were a real Psychologist instead of an amateur, I would write a paper on him.

JLC63 said:
Thanks all. Virgil, I’ve been racking my mind trying to remember his name. “Come here Virgil. Give me a hug Virgil. Sit down Virgil. Hurry up Virgil.”
I appreciate your concern TruthBearer, but the good natured debate on the forum did not cause me to lose my faith. It wasn’t even JAV. A Philosophy Professor at OU did that. The forum members seem to be sincere honest people trying to do the right thing. That is refreshing in a world of, “Jesus wants you to be rich. Jesus wants to heal your cancer, but first you have to send Jesus some money. Just send the check to me, I’ll make sure Jesus gets it, or Reverend, Father, Minister, Guru, or some other form of supreme leader is always right.”
I saw two types of Officers in the Marine Corps in the post Vietnam era. Most were dedicated professionals who did their duty, but there was a small group of macho crazies who would not shut up with their hero stories, and always wanted to subject subordinates to silly manhood tests. A real man can eat a live snake. A real man can endure a beating. Their knowledge of tactics consisted of charge and shoot. The modern military with it’s emphasis on technology and tactics has tended to weed out officers like this.
JAV fascinated me because he was a Vietnam era mach crazy with near absolute power. It was a perfect storm for him. Fascinating for me to watch him on television, but you were the ones stormed upon. There is an old saying: fascinating is when someone else’s neck is on the line. This is a religious forum so I cleaned the saying up a bit. He had a captive audience for his hero stories, and students had to endure his manhood tests. In the military, the macho crazies were restrained by higher authority, but if I understand your denomination correctly, there is no higher authority, especially if you own the Church. You are a very forgiving bunch. You seem to forgive anything that isn’t sexual. JAV understood this, Junior did not.
I have kept a low profile here, because I realize this is not a forum to debate the existence of God, and I am a guest here.
I do appreciate the inside knowledge of JAV. If I were a real Psychologist instead of an amateur, I would write a paper on him.

JLC63, your posts bring back some memories. Your observations about the post-Vietnam Marine Corps personnel reflect my experience as well. I only attended WHBC once and only heard JAV a couple of times before I decided I couldn't take anymore. His "Vietnam, Green Beret, war stories" seemed too fantastic to be true before I joined the Army and quickly morphed into ridiculous after I joined the Special Forces.

I understand that JAV was asked more than once to sign a SF-180 to prove his service record. I posted a challenge to one of his staff members who used to troll on the old FFF forum to go public with JAV's service record as well and, of course, never got a response. It didn't surprise me since I'm still waiting on John Kerry to release his records, too. To me, they are the same type of bird with only slightly different feathers.

I'm sorry to hear your experiences had a negative impact on your faith. Who Jesus was and did has very little to do with who JAV is and does.

Green Beret said:
JLC63, your posts bring back some memories. Your observations about the post-Vietnam Marine Corps personnel reflect my experience as well. I only attended WHBC once and only heard JAV a couple of times before I decided I couldn't take anymore. His "Vietnam, Green Beret, war stories" seemed too fantastic to be true before I joined the Army and quickly morphed into ridiculous after I joined the Special Forces.

I understand that JAV was asked more than once to sign a SF-180 to prove his service record. I posted a challenge to one of his staff members who used to troll on the old FFF forum to go public with JAV's service record as well and, of course, never got a response. It didn't surprise me since I'm still waiting on John Kerry to release his records, too. To me, they are the same type of bird with only slightly different feathers.

I'm sorry to hear your experiences had a negative impact on your faith. Who Jesus was and did has very little to do with who JAV is and does.

So are you doubting he was in the military at all?  Or are you just saying his stories are ridiculously over the top and not believeable.

I think the latter is most likely but I beleive he was in the military.

Just me said:
Green Beret said:

So are you doubting he was in the military at all?  Or are you just saying his stories are ridiculously over the top and not believeable.

The vast majority of men his age served in military. I think he served so that is why I asked for him to sign a Standard Form 180 that would release his service record to the public. It would show where and when he served.

His stories are not just "over the top" they are anachronistic and inaccurate. Sort of like when my dad told me he hit the beach at Normandy France on June 6, 1944 as a member of the USMC as well as fighting at Saipan, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. My dad was an alcoholic and given to "telling stories". When I was older and more knowledgeable, I questioned his stories since I was tired of being laughed at by my classmates. I told him that his stories didn't match what was the history books and his response reminds me of something JAV would say, "You can't trust what's written in those books, boy".

Green Beret said:
JLC63 said:

When I saw him 30 years ago he was wearing a beret, and unbuttoned army jacket.  He's one of yours, you must be very proud.  It was 30 years ago, but I'm sure he had Sargent stripes with at least one rocker. How long was he in the Army? How fast do enlisted promotions come in the Army?

When I saw him 30 years ago, he had enlisted in the Army, qualified for Special Forces, and rose to the rank of Staff NCO. He then became a successful insurance agent. He than received a degree from HAC. He then worked for FBCH. He then worked for Jerry Falwell. Then he spent several years at WHBC. That is quite impressive for someone who was then a young man.

I agree, he probably was in the military. He fits the mold of a Post Vietnam era Macho Crazy. Again, this group is a small minority of Vietnam Veterans. They are just the most vocal.

Just me said:
Green Beret said:

From what I know he was in the military but not Special Forces. He was a mail carrier that would deliver mail to the troops in Viet Nam. Nothing more than Radar on the TV series M.A.S.H.

I guess you could say that his Special Forces training was like the Special classes at schools if he had any Special Forces training at all.

JLC63 said:
When I saw him 30 years ago he was wearing a beret, and unbuttoned army jacket.  He's one of yours, you must be very proud.  It was 30 years ago, but I'm sure he had Sargent stripes with at least one rocker. How long was he in the Army? How fast do enlisted promotions come in the Army?

That's one of my points, friend, I don't think he was "one of ours". No SF guy I know would be caught dead out of uniform like that much less disgrace it in public for personal gain. During Vietnam you could move up the NCO food chain pretty fast if you had the right MOS. Post Vietnam (when I served '82-'88) it was MUCH harder.

JLC63 said:
I agree, he probably was in the military. He fits the mold of a Post Vietnam era Macho Crazy. Again, this group is a small minority of Vietnam Veterans. They are just the most vocal.

True, he does fit the mold of the Macho Crazies but my experience is that most of those types were non-combat personnel that never saw the front except in their imaginations. For whatever reason (guilt, shame, pride, ego, cowardice, etc.), they choose to fabricate their experience for personal gain or recognition. That is one of the main reasons the "Stolen Valor Act" was passed into law in 2006 even though the "Extreme" Court struck it down, it was a good law.

TruthBearer said:
Just me said:
Green Beret said:

From what I know he was in the military but not Special Forces. He was a mail carrier that would deliver mail to the troops in Viet Nam. Nothing more than Radar on the TV series M.A.S.H.

I guess you could say that his Special Forces training was like the Special classes at schools if he had any Special Forces training at all.

Hey Just Me, where did you get the info that he was a mail clerk? That's one I haven't heard. PM me if it is to personal to share here.

Green Beret said:
True, he does fit the mold of the Macho Crazies but my experience is that most of those types were non-combat personnel that never saw the front except in their imaginations. For whatever reason (guilt, shame, pride, ego, cowardice, etc.), they choose to fabricate their experience for personal gain or recognition.

^^^^^^^^This

I entered the service in 1978 and served with many Vietnam Vets.  The ones who actually saw combat never talked about it.  The ones who didn't were the braggers.

I too was there when vineyard came till recently and NEVER  heard the mailclerk twist to the story

theretoolong said:
I too was there when vineyard came till recently and NEVER  heard the mailclerk twist to the story

Would we ever hear that?  Of course not as the truth cannot be spoken or he won't be the superhero he dreams of being.

Just me said:
theretoolong said:

Would we ever hear that?  Of course not as the truth cannot be spoken or he won't be the superhero he dreams of being.

That is what I conjecture. The question is, do you know something we don't about JAV's service or are you making a point with sarcasm?

FreeToBeMe said:
Green Beret said:
True, he does fit the mold of the Macho Crazies but my experience is that most of those types were non-combat personnel that never saw the front except in their imaginations. For whatever reason (guilt, shame, pride, ego, cowardice, etc.), they choose to fabricate their experience for personal gain or recognition.

^^^^^^^^This

I entered the service in 1978 and served with many Vietnam Vets.  The ones who actually saw combat never talked about it.  The ones who didn't were the braggers.

^^^^^^Truth

Yeah, I joined in 1982 and was one of only three guys in my A-Team that did not have a CIB earned in 'Nam. The only talking they did about it was when they were showing us newbies how not to be killed.

Green Beret said:
Just me said:
theretoolong said:

That is what I conjecture. The question is, do you know something we don't about JAV's service or are you making a point with sarcasm?

It was TruthBearer who said the mail carrier comment not Just me.