When Religious Freedom Ends

Binaca Chugger

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I cannot find anywhere in history where there is true religious freedom for longer than 200 years. In America, one of our founding tenants was the issue of freedom of religion. Yet, I believe we are now seeing the beginnings of religious persecution in our land. I see it beginning in the name of love and the eradication of hate speech. In the name of love, they are already condemning speaking against sin and have in many states made the attempt to show a confused teen what the Bible teaches about the sexes illegal. Now, in the name of health, we have seen the forced closure of churches and the citations issued for people who attend church and even the attempts to seize property.

When Religious Freedom Ends in America, what will you do?

I cannot find anywhere in history where there is true religious freedom for longer than 200 years. In America, one of our founding tenants was the issue of freedom of religion. Yet, I believe we are now seeing the beginnings of religious persecution in our land. I see it beginning in the name of love and the eradication of hate speech. In the name of love, they are already condemning speaking against sin and have in many states made the attempt to show a confused teen what the Bible teaches about the sexes illegal. Now, in the name of health, we have seen the forced closure of churches and the citations issued for people who attend church and even the attempts to seize property.

When Religious Freedom Ends in America, what will you do?
Go to jail, I guess.

Watching posts on facebook, it appears many of my Baptists brethren want to take up arms or form some type of rebellion. Others are hoping they will make enough stir on social media that the evil in power will be exposed and banished from the land. I don't think either of these are great options. Have you put much thought into what you would do?

Watching posts on facebook, it appears many of my Baptists brethren want to take up arms or form some type of rebellion. Others are hoping they will make enough stir on social media that the evil in power will be exposed and banished from the land. I don't think either of these are great options. Have you put much thought into what you would do?
I remember similar posts when Obama was elected with maybe more intensity this time around. I paid no attention then and I don't now. Most of the posts I see are terribly misinformed and quote very sketchy web sites as sources. As for the church orders related to the pandemic, very little was known about this new SARS variant early on. As information became more available, it became clear that almost all transmission was from an airborne source. The mandate that closed churches was due to the close proximity of parishioners along with the practice of congregational singing. Most states have now asked or recommended churches to limit the number of in room attendees and asked them to practice social distancing and wear a face covering. This seems reasonable to me and not a sign of persecution and, frankly, the church leadership should have enacted this practice without the "government" having to persuade them to.
In answer to your direct question, I will do nothing. God has a plan and it isn't up to me to enact it, enforce it, or castigate those who disagree with me.

Well if these brethren are on facebook and want to start taking a stand against Christian persecution/censorship a good first step would be to delete their facebook account. I have a hard time believing any of them are really willing to take up arms when they haven't been willing to even give up a social media account provided by an anti Christian company.

Well if these brethren are on facebook and want to start taking a stand against Christian persecution/censorship a good first step would be to delete their facebook account. I have a hard time believing any of them are really willing to take up arms when they haven't been willing to even give up a social media account provided by an anti Christian company.
I would not classify FB as anti-Christian. I post Christian articles & bible passages all the time without any issue.

I would not classify FB as anti-Christian. I post Christian articles & bible passages all the time without any issue.

This is a good point. If you are mad at Facebook and believe the problem to be social media, why are you using Facebook and social media to declare your message?

I remember similar posts when Obama was elected with maybe more intensity this time around. I paid no attention then and I don't now.
I understand the cyclical mantra of declaring all to be lost whenever the desired candidate doesn't get elected. It is enacted by all groups and Christians fall into the same trap. I think what is happening in our society is a moving us closer toward the loss of religious liberty, not who won the election.

Most of the posts I see are terribly misinformed and quote very sketchy web sites as sources. As for the church orders related to the pandemic, very little was known about this new SARS variant early on. As information became more available, it became clear that almost all transmission was from an airborne source. The mandate that closed churches was due to the close proximity of parishioners along with the practice of congregational singing. Most states have now asked or recommended churches to limit the number of in room attendees and asked them to practice social distancing and wear a face covering. This seems reasonable to me and not a sign of persecution and, frankly, the church leadership should have enacted this practice without the "government" having to persuade them to.
The problem is that churches were singled out and declared illegal. People were still able to go to stores, but not church. In my region, police actually showed up at churches to give citations to any who were just sitting in the parking lot. Names were taken and mandatory quarantines were issued for attending church, even when the church was following all CDC guidelines. To me, the issue wasn't about whether or not wearing a mask will help slow the spread. It was about the enforcement in one part of life, but not others.

In answer to your direct question, I will do nothing. God has a plan and it isn't up to me to enact it, enforce it, or castigate those who disagree with me.
Nothing? I guess you mean that you will continue as you are now, whatever that looks like, and let the chips fall where they may?

I believe Facebook definitely has an agenda and it goes against Christian principles. They do allow churches to post their sermons and people will frequently post their Bible verses and prayer requests and praises. I don't see that being hindered. They will block posts that begin to gain traction which go against their social agenda. While they allow the "yay Jesus" posts, they will stop the "homosexuality is evil" posts that begin to gain some momentum.