When They Had Sung A Hymn

Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Q: please define your term.

A: Rick Warren is a booger head.

I couldn't have said it better.

Your question was a red herring.  I did not discuss genre.  I am pointing out that the "Music in church only began to be used in the middle ages solely as adaptations of drinking songs" argument given by the modernist for "any genre goes" is an untruth either spoken in extreme ignorance or extreme deception.

You said hymns good, not hymns bad. So what is a hymn?

Nope.

I said hymns, psalms and spiritual songs were sung in the early church and that Christ engaged in such singing.  Hence, the argument used by the modernist is null and void.  When presented, it is done out of Biblical ignorance or intent to deceive.

It's about the dollar.

Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:

Your question was a red herring.  I did not discuss genre.  I am pointing out that the "Music in church only began to be used in the middle ages solely as adaptations of drinking songs" argument given by the modernist for "any genre goes" is an untruth either spoken in extreme ignorance or extreme deception.

Nope.

I said hymns, psalms and spiritual songs were sung in the early church and that Christ engaged in such singing.  Hence, the argument used by the modernist is null and void.  When presented, it is done out of Biblical ignorance or intent to deceive.

You must prove that what is sung today is NOT a hymn, psalm or spiritual song or your argument is null and void.

Nope.

I am simply stating that the most common argument presented by the modernist is null and void.  In this thread, I have not attempted to define genres or define the music sung by Christ.  I have simply stated that the argument used is either totally ignorant of the Scripture, or intended to deceive.

Since you have neither identified nor defined these "rock the flock" who proffer this ignorant argument, your argument  is pointless. Unless talking to yourself about your imaginary enemies is the point.

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
It's about the dollar.

Do tell.

Do you know TMacs income?

No, do you? Or John MacArthur's, or Tony Hutson's, or John Hamblin's or ....

FTR every time a hymnbook is purchased or is sung from a song sheet, there is a payment made to CCLI. So even Fanny is still "gettin' paid" for her songs.

subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
It's about the dollar.

Do tell.

FTR every time a hymnbook is purchased or is sung from a song sheet, there is a payment made to CCLI. So even Fanny is still "gettin' paid" for her songs.

Hamblin and Hutson I'm sure are paid well for there stage performances.

MacAuthur is worth whatever his salary, IMO.

TMac is paid over a million dollars a year bc he is a follower of......?

subllibrm said:

Well, no. Due to their age, Fanny Crosby's hymns are in the public domain. A particular arrangement might be copyrighted, in which case it's the arranger getting paid, not Mrs. Crosby or her estate.

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
It's about the dollar.

Do tell.

Do you have proof TMac makes over a million dollars a year? I always wondered what they brought in and assumed they didn't make near what the big name secular artists made.

EDIT .... I did a google search and ... wow .... 1 million dollars!

http://networthtomb.com/tobymac-net-worth-endorsement-christian-music-singer/

[No changes. - Ransom]

Ransom said:
subllibrm said:

Well, no. Due to their age, Fanny Crosby's hymns are in the public domain. A particular arrangement might be copyrighted, in which case it's the arranger getting paid, not Mrs. Crosby or her estate.

Either way, it's about the dollar.  8)

Tim said:
Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
It's about the dollar.

Do tell.

Do you have proof TMac makes over a million dollars a year? I always wondered what they brought in and assumed they didn't make near what the big name secular artists made.

http://networthtomb.com/tobymac-net-worth-endorsement-christian-music-singer/

Key word, secular = TMac

Next question.

subllibrm said:
Ransom said:
subllibrm said:

CCM = about the dollar  8)

FTR, I'm not talking about Fanny and the like.

subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:

Nope.

You must prove that what is sung today is NOT a hymn, psalm or spiritual song or your argument is null and void.

Nope.

I am simply stating that the most common argument presented by the modernist is null and void.  In this thread, I have not attempted to define genres or define the music sung by Christ.  I have simply stated that the argument used is either totally ignorant of the Scripture, or intended to deceive.

Since you have neither identified nor defined these "rock the flock" who proffer this ignorant argument, your argument  is pointless. Unless talking to yourself about your imaginary enemies is the point.

uuuuummmmm........look at what you quoted.  One such teacher was identified.  Apparently you believe this argument also.  Either that, or you are just mad at anyone who states anything against the modernist movement.  You will notice that I stated only that there argument is invalid and questioned the motive of such arguments.  I did not attempt to decry any genre in this thread.

Tim said:

And? The aforementioned Fanny Crosby sold 100 million copies of her hymns. I imagine that if she hadn't been exploited by her publishers (the copyright conventions of her day favoured composers over lyricists), she would have been quite wealthy. (Her lyrical output was also not strictly sacred, so she was also an early successful "crossover" artist.)

Ransom said:
Tim said:

And? The aforementioned Fanny Crosby sold 100 million copies of her hymns. I imagine that if she hadn't been exploited by her publishers (the copyright conventions of her day favoured composers over lyricists), she would have been quite wealthy. (Her lyrical output was also not strictly sacred, so she was also an early successful "crossover" artist.)

I didn't realize they made that much. No judgement intended in that post. Just surprise.

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Ransom said:
subllibrm said:

Somewhere I heard Fanny got paid a dollar a song.

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Ransom said:
subllibrm said:

And those who write the "good" music don't get paid for their work?

Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:
Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:

Nope.

Nope.

uuuuummmmm........look at what you quoted.  One such teacher was identified.  Apparently you believe this argument also.  Either that, or you are just mad at anyone who states anything against the modernist movement.  You will notice that I stated only that there argument is invalid and questioned the motive of such arguments.  I did not attempt to decry any genre in this thread.

Nope, I have no reason to think singing was invented later than the times of scripture. The psalms were often sung, were they not?

So back to your "point".

Jesus sang.

I sing.

What exactly is the problem?

It's funny, when I left my IFB church and joined a Reformed church, they didn't sing many of the old hymns I sang at my IFB church. They said many were not Christ centered enough. Especially "In The Garden" and "The Old Rugged Cross", haven't sung those in years.

bgwilkinson said:
Somewhere I heard Fanny got paid a dollar a song.

Heh. See, it is all about the dollar. Or occasionally two dollars.

Of course, that was flat rate.  She was probably very underpaid in terms of the royalties she deserved.

Recovering IFB said:
It's funny, when I left my IFB church and joined a Reformed church, they didn't sing many of the old hymns I sang at my IFB church. They said many were not Christ centered enough. Especially "In The Garden" and "The Old Rugged Cross", haven't sung those in years.

A friend went to Calvin College and was regularly ribbed for being a Baptist. The music was topic number one and the preferred eye poke was to squeeze "and He walks with ME and He talks with ME" into the conversation somehow.

Different strokes and all that