Where did the water go?

theophilus

Elect
Reaction score
Where did the water go?  This question is sometimes asked by those who don’t believe there was a worldwide flood.  They think such a flood is impossible because there would be no place for the water to go after the flood was over.  But there is a simple answer to this question.  The water didn’t go anywhere; the flood ended when parts of the earth’s surface rose up to form the continents and islands that exist today.

You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
the waters stood above the mountains.
At your rebuke they fled;
at the sound of your thunder they took to flight.
The mountains rose, the valleys sank down
to the place that you appointed for them.
You set a boundary that they may not pass,
so that they might not again cover the earth.
Psalm 104:6-9 ESV

We can understand this better if we look at where the water came from in the first place.  The answer to this is found in Genesis 7:11,12.

In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened. And rain fell upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

There were two sources of water.  One was rain, which fell for 40 days and 40 nights.  But not all of the water was the result of rain.  “The fountains of the great deep burst forth.”  The earth broke open so that water that had been trapped underneath came to the surface and covered the earth completely.  Whatever force broke open the surface of the earth continued to operate and made parts of the earth rise up above the surface of the water and thus ended the flood it had begun.

Some people answer the question of where the water went by saying that the flood wasn’t really worldwide but only covered part of the flood.  This explanation certainly solves the problem of where the water went but it creates two new ones.  Genesis 9:8-17 says:

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.”

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”

God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

God made a covenant with Noah and promised that he would never again destroy the earth with a flood.  But there have been many floods since then, many of them covering large areas and killing many people.  If this flood wasn’t worldwide then God has often broken the covenant.  So we must believe one of two things: either the flood covered the whole world or God can’t be relied on to keep his promises.

But we need to also consider the sign of the covenant; God set a rainbow in the clouds.  This speaks of the rainbow as being something new that hadn’t existed before.  This means that before the flood atmospheric conditions were very different from what they are today and rainbows never appeared.  A change like this couldn’t possible be local but must be worldwide.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n2

http://worldwideflood.org/default.htm

theophilus said:
“The fountains of the great deep burst forth.”  The earth broke open so that water that had been trapped underneath came to the surface and covered the earth completely.  Whatever force broke open the surface of the earth continued to operate and made parts of the earth rise up above the surface of the water and thus ended the flood it had begun.

Personally, I think whatever broke open the earth is the source of today's plate-tectonics.  I think the continents were part of a mostly if not completely solid sphere, and the disaster -- whatever it was -- broke pangea apart and spread the pieces very rapidly.  The movement pushed up the mountains, and the water runoff created things like the grand canyon and buttes. 

This doesn't necessitate a young earth, by the way.  But it explains a lot of things, like finding sea creature fossils at the top of the rockies.

I rarely shared this view, but I once mentioned it to a very well-educated professional geologist in Missouri, and he agrees with me on this hypothesis.  I forget his name, but I remember having a long conversation with him.  He was responsible for mapping out the underground geology in Missouri, such as underground caves, and potential for oil, etc. 

As to a world wide flood, I don't know of any other way to explain things like mammoths being frozen in place standing up, and remaining well preserved to this day. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Personally, I think whatever broke open the earth is the source of today's plate-tectonics.  I think the continents were part of a mostly if not completely solid sphere, and the disaster -- whatever it was -- broke pangea apart and spread the pieces very rapidly.  The movement pushed up the mountains, and the water runoff created things like the grand canyon and buttes.

Personally, I think that when Superman reversed the rotation of the earth to save Lois, it sent shock waves back in time that hit the Supercontinent in roughly 3000 BC. Of course a lot of modern geology disproves both our hypotheses, but I blame the liberal media.

The Rogue Tomato said:
This doesn't necessitate a young earth, by the way.  But it explains a lot of things, like finding sea creature fossils at the top of the rockies.

Of course, modern geology also explains the presence of those same sea creatures.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I rarely shared this view, but I once mentioned it to a very well-educated professional geologist in Missouri, and he agrees with me on this hypothesis.  I forget his name, but I remember having a long conversation with him.  He was responsible for mapping out the underground geology in Missouri, such as underground caves, and potential for oil, etc. 

As to a world wide flood, I don't know of any other way to explain things like mammoths being frozen in place standing up, and remaining well preserved to this day.

Ever heard of an avalanche?

I have no idea. But it isn't something I worry about. I don't know or care very much if the flood was global.

Izdaari said:
I have no idea. But it isn't something I worry about. I don't know or care very much if the flood was global.

I do.

Genesis 7:19-20
King James Version (KJV)
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

Now, I know, you prolly don't like my old KJV

English Standard Version (ESV)
19 And the waters prevailed so mightily on the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered. 20 The waters prevailed above the mountains, covering them fifteen cubits[a] deep.

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
19 The water rose so much that even the highest mountains were covered by the water. 20 The water continued to rise above the mountains. The water was more than 20 feet[a] above the highest mountain.

Amplified Bible (AMP)
19 And the waters prevailed so exceedingly and were so mighty upon the earth that all the high hills under the whole sky were covered.
20 [In fact] the waters became fifteen cubits higher, as the high hills were covered.

The Voice (VOICE)
19 the torrent continued to swell and increase in momentum until the highest mountain peaks beneath the heavens were covered. 20 In fact, the waters rose and pitched so forcefully over the earth that the mountain peaks disappeared beneath 22 feet of water.

My point is, if that is not true, why is

1 Corinthians 15:1-4  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

this true?

Itinerant -

Don't forget these:

So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” (John 6:53-58 ESV)

[God] will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. (Psalm 91:4 ESV)

ddgently said:

I never heard of an avalanche leaving its victims standing up, frozen in place while munching on food.  I can imagine that happening in very rare cases due to random conditions, but the cases of finding mammoths frozen immediately and in place are not rare.

I can imagine, however, flood water rising while it is rapidly freezing the mammoth in place. 

It doesn't really matter.  I wasn't there.  So I can't vouch for anything. 

rsc2a said:
Itinerant -

Don't forget these:

So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” (John 6:53-58 ESV)

[God] will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. (Psalm 91:4 ESV)

And so you have the Mass.

You have the continual sacrificing of the LORD every time the priest says the empowering words.

The people experience the real presence of Christ and they believe that they are eating the literal body and drinking His literal blood. They are believing what Jesus said and practicing what he told them to do, but even at that they do not believe they are saved without the other entrapments of the church of Rome.

My Catholic friends go round and round with me on this as they know I believe in interpreting the Bible literally.

Well I do, except......

The Rogue Tomato said:
ddgently said:

I never heard of an avalanche leaving its victims standing up, frozen in place while munching on food.  I can imagine that happening in very rare cases due to random conditions, but the cases of finding mammoths frozen immediately and in place are not rare.

I can imagine, however, flood water rising while it is rapidly freezing the mammoth in place. 

Here is a link to Walt Brown's online book. He has a PHD from MIT

If you have never read his theory you may find it interesting and thought provoking.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/

There are so many possibilities when it come to cosmology.

He gives an interesting take with his Hydroplate Theory.

http://creationwiki.org/Hydroplate_theory

rsc2a said:
Itinerant -

Don't forget these:

At first I thought rsca2 must be saying that if John 6:53-58 and Psalms 91:4 contain allegorical language then according to him/her Genesis 7:19-20 contain allegorical language.

I now realize that rsca2 is likely actually saying that since John 6:53-58 and Psalms 91:4  contain allegorical language, then to him/her 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is allegory also.

BTW rsca2, the language in Psalms 91:4 is shown as a simile in Deuteronomy 32:11, and John 6:53-58 should be compared with John 6:35-40, 47-51 and  1 Corinthians 10:1-4

ItinerantPreacher said:
rsc2a said:
Itinerant -

Don't forget these:

At first I thought rsca2 must be saying that if John 6:53-58 and Psalms 91:4 contain allegorical language then according to him/her Genesis 7:19-20 contain allegorical language.

I now realize that rsca2 is likely actually saying that since John 6:53-58 and Psalms 91:4  contain allegorical language, then to him/her 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is allegory also.

BTW rsca2, the language in Psalms 91:4 is shown as a simile in Deuteronomy 32:11, and John 6:53-58 should be compared with John 6:35-40, 47-51 and  1 Corinthians 10:1-4

I didn't say anything about allegorical language. Why don't you believe the Bible, Itinerant?

bgwilkinson said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
ddgently said:

Here is a link to Walt Brown's online book. He has a PHD from MIT

If you have never read his theory you may find it interesting and thought provoking.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/

There are so many possibilities when it come to cosmology.

He gives an interesting take with his Hydroplate Theory.

http://creationwiki.org/Hydroplate_theory

Thanks, that was interesting.  I don't know if I agree with it, but it's a possibility, I suppose.

I also wonder about the difference in the atmosphere pre-flood.  My hypothesis here is that the upper atmosphere was significantly different than it is now.  It blocked damaging cosmic rays, which made it possible for mankind to live much longer.  Once the flood (or catastrophe that caused it) caused the pre-flood atmosphere to deteriorate, life spans got shorter and shorter until they stabilized about where they are now. 

This would also invalidate carbon dating of objects that existed pre-flood.  Carbon dating assumes that organic material absorbed the same amount of cosmic energy then as it does now.  If organic materials were receiving a vastly reduced amount of radiation pre-flood, then they would have started out with a lower amount of C14.  We would then incorrectly assume a long age for any organic material buried in pre-flood days, since we would assume the low amount of C14 is due to the decay rate of an amount much larger than it actually was.