Where do go if I leave the IFB movement?

Many of the issues you find in IFBdom are prevalent in most any denomination in existence. There are some very real issues that dramatically affect our Christian walk found in most any "local church" you'll find anywhere. It is a "sign of the times"....

Paul close to 2000 years ago wrote these words....

Php 2:20 For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state.
Php 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.

Paul could ONLY name Timothy to those at Philippi when naming a leader to them.... and he gave the reason why. Which is the same reason you find issues in most every local church in existence.

"For all seek their own"..... They all seek to please themselves. Contrary to Jesus Christ not pleasing Himself.... but giving all for US.

I've meet and talked to ex IFB pastors and I can tell you, most of them have the same issues they always had. They just got tired of a few things here and there in the movement and decided to "go there own way"....

Let me ask you a question......If they've been wrong for 30 years and decide to change, what makes you think they're entirely right now? I mean seriously. I've seen some of them tell of just how wrong they were for SO LONG......... AS IF .... that doesn't mean something itself.

Which is why most IFB pastors refuse to change. If they change, they'd have to admit just how terribly wrong they were and how GOD wasn't BEHIND THEM THE ENTIRE TIME.... like they said HE was. EGO.....

1. Most of those who leave are still ego maniacs. They've never really lost themselves in the ministry. Sure, they'll give of themselves a little but they will never really abandon themselves. They are still always seeking attention and the center of focus in most everything that takes place.

2. Many of them that leave do so because they don't like a particular person. I can name several instances of this but I'm sure many of you already know. So its not really about the Truth. It is really about competition. Which brings in people like Phil Kidd. The old... "There can only be one" eat all... be all of IFBdom. Though I do like some of what Kidd says now.

3. Many still have the same doctrines. Sure. They might sing different songs. Sure, they might have abandoned the Amish themed lifestyle they might have advocated. They might even mow the yard between services on Sunday.... but many of them still have the same ole empty meaningless doctrines they been preaching for decades. Pharisees weren't Pharisees because they advocated strict adherence to the laws of God. They were Pharisee because of what they thought of THEMSELVES.....

4. Most of them still see themselves as rulers over God's people. When all they're, at best, are nameless shackled slaves.

Last edited:
Did you watch the video???

I forgot to answer the question.....

Where do you go?

You go to Jesus like you always have. You just need Him MORE now. Which is a really good thing. He'll work it out for you.

I skipped through it and it is the same ole same ole. Competition for followers. The context of "corruption" has made them appear unique and desirable. They still have many of the issues I've mentioned above.

Phil Kidd was a willing participant in all of this "stuff" he now condemns as "corruption" for decades. It is what made him the way he still is today. A used car salesman that just switched lots and is mad at the old business owners.

Granted. He has changed some but he's is still so very young in this "change".

You have to realize that all that "stuff" has been so much a part of their lives for so long, they don't even realize just how corrupt it all is. It still feeds his EGO.

Last edited:
He was at my church a few years ago. I was trying to figure out what direction he was taking from the video. Sounds like he still accepts most of the IFB teachings but is trying to get out of the political arm of the IFB. He seems to be suggesting he can fellowship with pastors and churches that may not have identical beliefs to his own. I think it's a good step. I wonder a little how much this decision was based on a son that is pastoring outside of the IFB. The fact that IFB churches consider themselves to be independent has always been funny. I've visited several churches in the Christian Missionary Alliance a while back. Even though the denomination even owns the deed to the individual churches, they are far more independent than the average IFB. Different ones are completely different in how they operate, when they hold services, how many services, and what kind of music, certain doctrinal beliefs. They were nothing like the cookie cutter IFB's I've been to.

He was at my church a few years ago. I was trying to figure out what direction he was taking from the video. Sounds like he still accepts most of the IFB teachings but is trying to get out of the political arm of the IFB. He seems to be suggesting he can fellowship with pastors and churches that may not have identical beliefs to his own. I think it's a good step. I wonder a little how much this decision was based on a son that is pastoring outside of the IFB. The fact that IFB churches consider themselves to be independent has always been funny. I've visited several churches in the Christian Missionary Alliance a while back. Even though the denomination even owns the deed to the individual churches, they are far more independent than the average IFB. Different ones are completely different in how they operate, when they hold services, how many services, and what kind of music, certain doctrinal beliefs. They were nothing like the cookie cutter IFB's I've been to.

I agree with most of what you said....

Question.....

Just why is there so much competition for believers in any given area? "church" after "church" all competing for the same people?

I skipped through it and it is the same ole same ole. Competition for followers.

Yes, he does talk about how to greet visitors, etc., but my take on this is the rampant sexual/moral/financial corruption prevalent in the IFB. And he mentions the obvious hypocrisy of men preaching for others they don't agree with purely for the $$$.

Of course, he mentions 260+ pastors from different denominations who have contacted him about what to do, but no doubt if they "form" another "movement", it too will see corruption .

Many good points and some that make me see my own bias. Positive change is always a good thing.

Yes, he does talk about how to greet visitors, etc., but my take on this is the rampant sexual/moral/financial corruption prevalent in the IFB. And he mentions the obvious hypocrisy of men preaching for others they don't agree with purely for the $$$.

Of course, he mentions 260+ pastors from different denominations who have contacted him about what to do, but no doubt if they "form" another "movement", it too will see corruption .

Many good points and some that make me see my own bias. Positive change is always a good thing.

Definitely. I just wish they wouldn't think they unraveled all of their issues.

If they keep thinking they're suppose to rule God's children, then they're never going to find meaningful change. I have a sure fire way to tell if they've really changed. Tell them they are still wrong about some things and see how they react.

Like when we tell you you are wrong and you're reaction?? LOL

I defend what I've said. I don't run people off nor tell them to go somewhere else. I'm just fine with people disagreeing with me and openly discussing it. You will not find the same with them. They can't tolerate descent among them.

I remain anonymous largely due to the fact I've been threatened with extreme violence over proving someone wrong from the Scriptures.

Phil Kidd is all about him...never was a fan. If you want out of ifb find a church that loves the Lord and teaches from the Bible. I don't worship man they will change in a heart beat. Follow the Lord!!

I read a lot about Phil Kidd online, but I have to say even if he does not have a plan for every issue plaguing the IFB he goes further than anyone else I've heard from within. Calling out the sexual and financial corruption is a big piece of the problem. Of course he at least used to drive a new Jaguar and carry an eight hundred dollar pen-so not sure he's not part of the financial problems.

Phil Kidd is all about him...never was a fan. If you want out of ifb find a church that loves the Lord and teaches from the Bible. I don't worship man they will change in a heart beat. Follow the Lord!!

I hear this all the time and it is not the solution.

Did any of the apostles tell their followers to go find a place that meets your requirement? The very fact you're saying this points to a much LARGER issue. This has become the standard given by most anyone.... "Go find one you like".......Such an answer is absolutely contrary to the teaching of the apostles and good common biblical sense. Why should anyone have to leave a church... and go find one they "like" better? God's work doesn't revolve around such division.

I hear this all the time and it is not the solution.

Did any of the apostles tell their followers to go find a place that meets your requirement? The very fact you're saying this points to a much LARGER issue. This has become the standard given by most anyone.... "Go find one you like".......Such an answer is absolutely contrary to the teaching of the apostles and good common biblical sense. Why should anyone have to leave a church... and go find one they "like" better? God's work doesn't revolve around such division.
I think you are misreading Sherryh. If the leadership is self centered it in an indication they are not Christ centered. You do better to leave and find a Christ centered Bible believing church. Not only that but the leadership you disagree with will be better served by you leaving. No sense in creating a hostile environment especially at a church.

Phil Kidd was sadly just a poor man's Tony Hutson and Larry Brown when it came to comedy. Kidd isn't a prosperity teacher but he would fit right in with the TBN/PTL Club crowd but now TBN (who still promotes prosperity gospel) has become more seeker sensitive on their television programming.

Wasn't Kidd associated with Jim & Tom Vineyard?

I think you are misreading Sherryh. If the leadership is self centered it in an indication they are not Christ centered. You do better to leave and find a Christ centered Bible believing church. Not only that but the leadership you disagree with will be better served by you leaving. No sense in creating a hostile environment especially at a church.

Really? Have you read the book of Acts? Did you see any hostility in the book of Acts? Any hostility among leaders in the book of Acts?

Did any of them tell their followers to go somewhere else?

"Being Christ centered" isn't a matter of self approval or self determination. It is either Biblical or it is worthless.

There is a reason you have dozens if not hundreds of "Christian" assemblies in any given area. It is all because of doing exactly what you're advocating be done.