Which local church?

treasure_unseen

Elect
Reaction score
Craig Edwards wrote on his facebook page today.....

There is a huge difference in by-passing religion and by-passing the local church. When the Bible references the church, most of the time it is either talking to or about the local assembly.

Craig has always had an high opinion of what he believed throughout the years. He said for years that he never preached anything that the Bible didn't say.... only to admit that he changed his mind. Often preaching doctrines of men.... NOW, he thinks he has gotten better. Problem is, he really isn't.

He doesn't mind if you abandon your religion. He prefers that. What he can't tolerate is that you abandon his religion. He wants you to submit to his authority. He doesn't have any but he wants you to submit to his authority. That is why he said what he said above.

My question is clear and to the point.

WHICH local church is he trying to apply the Scriptures to? There are plenty to choose from. Not that many of them are really different. They've all voted in their own teachers and I didn't get to vote for them myself. Just what constitutes the right one?

I guarantee you that if all the Edwards were voted out tomorrow, they'd change their minds. You know why? Because it isn't about the truth. Its about the advantage they perceive they have.

Last edited:
The one marked by the faithful preaching of the gospel, along with the administration of the ordinances, and discipline is exercised.

The one marked by the faithful preaching of the gospel, along with the administration of the ordinances, and discipline is exercised.

That doesn't narrow down the selection at all. How many would you say that would cover in your area?

By the way.... Its okay to assemble with people that you disagree with or even dislike. Your kind enjoys running them off and telling to find somewhere where they'll "fit in".

That doesn't narrow down the selection at all. How many would you say that would cover in your area?
Those are the minimal standards to qualify it as a church. Choosing which one is the right one after those considerations is a matter of individual conscience. You ought to start your own since you seem to know exactly what everybody else is doing wrong, or should be doing.

Those are the minimal standards to qualify it as a church.

Pray tell, what might your standard be?

Choosing which one is the right one after those considerations is a matter of individual conscience.

Utter rubbish.

Of all the requirements in the world you place on God's little children, you would give them......their choice of where to assemble?

Prove it from the Scriptures.

You ought to start your own since you seem to know exactly what everybody else is doing wrong, or should be doing.

That's part of the problem. Too many people have done exactly what you claim I should do.

I'd say you've been afraid to start your own or you're accustom to letting your "fearless leader" do all the work for you.

Actually it may leave several but just the basic criteria laid out by Alayman will certainly narrow it down. It removes the Catholic churches, the Mormons and the JW's. It removes most of the mainline denominations. And even if you only picked at random one that met Alayman's criteria as long as you are reading/studying and doing the Berean thing you will either see you need to move on or get confirmation.

Pray tell, what might your standard be?

I just told you. The faithful preaching of the gospel, administration of the ordinances, and application of church discipline.

treasure said:
Utter rubbish.

Of all the requirements in the world you place on God's little children, you would give them......their choice of where to assemble?

I am a Baptist. I don't govern people nor their choice of worship. Individual soul liberty again.

treasure said:
Prove it from the Scriptures.

Prove what?
treasure said:
That's part of the problem. Too many people have done exactly what you claim I should do.

I'd say you've been afraid to start your own or you're accustom to letting your "fearless leader" do all the work for you.

Project much?

Your cynicism about what a church should be is merely an excuse not to assemble with the brethren.

I just told you. The faithful preaching of the gospel, administration of the ordinances, and application of church discipline.

That is about as clear as mud. You know that there are plenty that claim to do such and do not congregate together.

I am a Baptist. I don't govern people nor their choice of worship. Individual soul liberty again.

No. You let your supposed "pastor" do that for you. You don't do it yourself. You just support those that do.

Prove what?

That a believer in Jesus Christ get to choose where they should assemble. Prove this from the Scriptures.

Project much?

Your cynicism about what a church should be is merely an excuse not to assemble with the brethren.

Who said I don't assemble? You said I could go where I want to go. That I have that right. You then claim that I don't.

Which is it?