Who would you give an honorary doctorate to?

Jo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just for fun, who would you give a doctorate to and why? I don't just mean giving the doctorate to someone for reciting scripture, although that is a good thing to do. I mean like a friend or a public figure.

It's Christmas - give an honorary doctorate away! It costs nothing.

Like I felt that Dr Aleshanee deserves an HONORary doctorate due to how she has dealt with horrific adversity and come out on top,

I ABSOLUTELY wish I had the power to give my sweet little sister THE MOST RESPECTED doctorate there is.

She first was diagnosed with cancer about 15 years ago - lung cancer. She never complained.

One night she and my brother in law were on the patio of a local restaurant and the wind blew her wig off. She calmly bent down, picked up the wig and laid it on the table and proceeded to eat her meal, bald as a baby. She said that that was her way of not letting the cancer win.

After chemo and other treatments, she was cancer free for a number of years.

And then about 5 years ago it came back, this time in her kidney as well as her lungs. They put her on such strong chemo AND THEN immunotherapy that THOSE treaments almost killed her. She ended up having to have a feeding tube and she went down to under 90 lbs. She then had a heart attack.

She once again bounced back and became cancer free. During all of the hard times, she never complained. SHE'S SO STRONG.

Now, it has come back in her foot and she's just finished 20 radiation treatments.

Rosie never complains. In fact, she goes to the gym and still loves to Shop.

All she can talk about is her beloved daughter and all of my niece's accomplishments.

I wish someone would honor my sister for her
backbone of Steel and her positive attitude. She's who I would honor, Jo.

Last edited:

Dr. of Democracy Cleisthenes (c. 570 – c. 508 BC)​

He was believed to be the first to propose a system of government where people were represented by someone from their region and community, not just from the ruling families in Athens. This was called the demokratia (rule by the people) system from which we get the term democratic.

He also instuted a system (sortition system) where people where chosen randomly or by their peers to fill government positions instead of being selected from rich ruling families.

I believe he established the first system where judges we selected by region and the lawmakers were also selected by region so everyone was represented.

Historians say much of our current form of government (I can not speak for Canada, God save the King) was based on the ideas of Cleisthenes the ruler of Athens in 508 BC long before Thomas Jefferson was ever born.

Good stuff, @sword . Let me add as a balancing point that Thomas Jefferson and other framers of our constitution understood that pure democracy, while noble in its inception, is not the answer. We are fallen creatures and a democracy becomes three wolves and one lamb deciding what's for dinner. That's why the USA is a Constitutional Republic.

Even the "best" of our politicians make the error of tossing around the term "democracy" as though it is the highest ideal; the basis of our government.

If there is any doubt that this nation is a Constitutional Republic, just pass a measure by a majority vote and watch how quickly the minority will have it challenged by a constitutional court.

If there is any doubt that this nation is a Constitutional Republic, just pass a measure by a majority vote and watch how quickly the minority will have it challenged by a constitutional court.
This was my point a few weeks ago when I posted articles about the judicial branch “making laws.” In theory, it doesn’t, but in reality, it definitely does.

This was my point a few weeks ago when I posted articles about the judicial branch “making laws.” In theory, it doesn’t, but in reality, it definitely does.
do you really want to get back into that argument again?..... or would you rather allow the aging politician who never once pressured the court to overturn a hideous decision he claimed he disagreed with, to pass away in peace?.....

your opinion on the matter was duly noted and it;s problems as well as the differences between edicts made through judicial activism and even executive priviledge... and laws passed by acts by congress were adequately explained by those who disagreed with you....

the opinions of people who believe the only just laws in this country are ones we had a part in making ourselves.. and voted on by elected representatives... is an anvil that will not break nor can it even be dented.... hammering away on it does nothing but make noise - and eventually wears out the hammer.... but do carry on if it makes you happy.... there is no law against it.. and hopefully a future activist court won;t declare one..... :)

do you really want to get back into that argument again?..... or would you rather allow the aging politician who never once pressured the court to overturn a hideous decision he claimed he disagreed with, to pass away in peace?
I’m talking about judicial activism, which is unconstitutional. Who are you referring to?

I’m talking about judicial activism, which is unconstitutional. Who are you referring to?
i am also talking about judicial activism... which is unconstitutional .... and also talking about a former president who declared it was "law of the land" as if he didn;t understand the difference between a judicial edict and a law proposed by the people and voted on by congress.... that was the original argument which led to your comments and postings of articles on the judicial branch "making laws". ...

what were you talking about when you made this post i copied and pasted below? ..
did you forget how the whole thing started?..... do you want to rehash it here again?.... or were you just making noise to keep that ping of the hammer hitting the bare anvil in the air? ...:sneaky:

Last edited:
i am also talking about judicial activism... which is unconstitutional .... and also talking about a former president who declared it was "law of the land" as if he didn;t understand the difference between a judicial edict and a law proposed by the people and voted on by congress
Which president said that?
what were you talking about when you made this post i copied and pasted below?
I was replying to Ekklesian’s comment.
did you forget how the whole thing started?..... do you want to rehash it here again?.... or were you just making noise to keep that ping of the hammer hitting the bare anvil in the air?
Feel free to rehash. I know I posted an article about judicial activism. My point is not that judges should make laws, but rather that they (unfortunately) do. I understand we have our differences, but aren’t we actually agreeing on this?

Feel free to rehash. I know I posted an article about judicial activism. My point is not that judges should make laws, but rather that they (unfortunately) do. I understand we have our differences, but aren’t we actually agreeing on this?
we are actually not agreeing on it.... i don;t agree that judicial edicts are constitutional laws... . they are personal whims made against the will of the people.. and enforced through police action - officers of the court hired and empowered to inforce the law... but not to create it..... . what is that called when it happens in other countries?.....

we are actually not agreeing on it.... i don;t agree that judicial edicts are constitutional laws... . they are personal whims made against the will of the people.. and enforced through police action - officers of the court hired and empowered to inforce the law... but not to create it..... . what is that called when it happens in other countries?.....
Just to be clear, I’m not in support of judicial activism, but that isn’t how everyone thinks, as with your example of Carter. I think Ekklesian made a reference to Trump doing the same thing, though his example now escapes me.

the same one whe said americas best
days were behind us...
What speech is this from? I’m curious to know the context. Incidentally, I do believe America’s “best days” are behind us in some respects, perhaps not in others. I’d argue that America was at its absolute peak in the 1950s from a whole-picture perspective: economically, militarily, morally, etc. Of course, had I been a black man living in the segregated South in the 50s, I’d probably have a different perspective, but I’m trying to look big picture here.

What speech is this from? I’m curious to know the context. Incidentally, I do believe America’s “best days” are behind us in some respects, perhaps not in others. I’d argue that America was at its absolute peak in the 1950s from a whole-picture perspective: economically, militarily, morally, etc. Of course, had I been a black man living in the segregated South in the 50s, I’d probably have a different perspective, but I’m trying to look big picture here.