Who's better, Michael or Kobe?

T

Torrent v.3

If you were to judge, who would you pick?

Phil Jackson's book talks about the 2 superstars, “Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success."

"While Jackson doesn't outright name either the “greatest,” he reportedly does discuss how taxing it was to get through to Bryant, and how Jordan was a far better leader.

"One of the biggest differences between the two stars from my perspective was Michael's superior skills as a leader," Jackson writes according to the Los Angeles Times. "Though at times he could be hard on his teammates, Michael was masterful at controlling the emotional climate of the team with the power of his presence. Kobe had a long way to go before he could make that claim. He talked a good game, but he'd yet to experience the cold truth of leadership in his bones, as Michael had in his bones."

According to Jackson, Bryant has been obsessed with surpassing Jordan. But Jackson said helping Bryant achieve his goal proved difficult."

http://www.ibtimes.com/michael-jordan-vs-kobe-bryant-who-better-phil-jackson-responds-what-former-bulls-lakers-coach-said

Jordan. Kobe took better care of his body and was the better athlete but he had solid big men to go to along the way. Jordan had Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley as his big men. And concerning leadership, I think Jackson would have a pretty good idea.

Jordan changed the culture, NBA, clothing, shoes, baseball, golf.  Kobe changed our opinion of himself, when he gave in to the Ghosbusters' demi-gal.

Anishinabe

Slight divergence but I had to start a team around one player it would not be Kobe nor Jordan.  It would be Magic. He made everyone around him better, was more versatile...and just from a fan pov, more fun to watch. Better than the other two individually? Probably not but a different type player for sure.

I find this to be one of those questions where there is no proper answer. Without Kobe there would be no Lebron. Without Jordan there would be no Kobe. Without Magic/Bird there would be no Jordan. Magic and Bird had Russell, Chamberlain, West, Irving, and others. Magic and Bird transformed the game. Jordan took it to the next level. However, in MY generation, JORDAN was and IS the best. I am a David Robinson fan. Jordan was unstoppable in transition and soon the half court offense was dominated because of Ted Winters' triangle offense design. Jordan didnt have a Shaq. Kobe did. I see Lebron as being self taught since he didnt have a Shaq.

Pippen IMHO was a better team player than Kobe or Lebron.