Who's happy about the Government Shutdown and Whos' Not.

• Thread starter christundivided
  • Start date

Are you happy about the Government Shutdown or not

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Football is still my primary focus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm just happy rsc2a doesn't have an all the above option.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
C

christundivided

I'm personally glad that my representative is finally standing up for what I believe.... whether it works or not. How do you feel?

I just think that if they're going to furlough non-essential personnel, they should start with Obama, the white house staff, and most of congress...

As long as the Democrats have to suffer Reid's stubbornness... I am all for it.
Look at the benefits they lose!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oh my stars and garters!!!!  How is Congress going to survive without someone to push a button for them!

I don't like the poll choices. Nothing about food or sex.

I think it's sad that self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation now mark our political system, and there will be a lot of real people who are hurt by furloughs through this idiotic chess game.

ALAYMAN said:
I think it's sad that self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation now mark our political system, and there will be a lot of real people who are hurt by furloughs through this idiotic chess game.

I believe pretty much all those furloughed....will get back pay. I do believe Congress and the White House both should forfeit their earns during the shutdown.

christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:

I believe pretty much all those furloughed....will get back pay. I do believe Congress and the White House both should forfeit their earns during the shutdown.

But during the time before they receive back-pay there may be more people that cannot afford their house payment (depending on how long this lasts).  It's not a fun or funny game for those who have to go without pay for potentially a lengthy time.

ALAYMAN said:

You realize that lack of cooperation has plagued the Union since before there was a union, right?

rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:

You realize that lack of cooperation has plagued the Union since before there was a union, right?

You realize the way you phrase questions has a lot to do with the type of response you get in return, right?

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:

You realize the way you phrase questions has a lot to do with the type of response you get in return, right?

Simple question: do you contend that the lack of cooperation in our federal government is a recent occurrence as your initial statement implies?

rsc2a said:
Simple question: do you contend that the lack of cooperation in our federal government is a recent occurrence as your initial statement implies?

No, you misread what I did not imply.  I never meant to state explicitly or implicitly that this is a new phenomenon, just a business as usual grind things to a halt annoyance that has been repeated all too often lately.

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

No, you misread what I did not imply.  I never meant to state explicitly or implicitly that this is a new phenomenon, just a business as usual grind things to a halt annoyance that has been repeated all too often lately.

So when you said "self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation now mark our political system", you didn't actually mean the "now", at least no more than at any other time in our nation's history?

ALAYMAN said:
christundivided said:
ALAYMAN said:

But during the time before they receive back-pay there may be more people that cannot afford their house payment (depending on how long this lasts).  It's not a fun or funny game for those who have to go without pay for potentially a lengthy time.

I sure it isn't. Yet its part of just about any job. Its been a long time since this has happened. I'd say the average person would love to have a permanent job in which something like hardly ever happens. I'm not trying to down play the impact. I think we should realize that being a government worker carries much more benefits than liabilities.

rsc2a said:
So when you said "self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation now mark our political system", you didn't actually mean the "now", at least no more than at any other time in our nation's history?

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 44, and I don't remember our governement constantly coming under the threat of fiscal cliffs, shutdowns, and deficits like we have now.  D

Christundivided said:
I sure it isn't. Yet its part of just about any job. Its been a long time since this has happened. I'd say the average person would love to have a permanent job in which something like hardly ever happens. I'm not trying to down play the impact. I think we should realize that being a government worker carries much more benefits than liabilities.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it, and a lot of truth to it, but it sure is easy for those schmucks to play politics with other people's lives.  If they had to get furloughs we'd see a different tune being sung.  They often do things to the populace that they are exempted from, like the ObamaCare crap.

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 44, and I don't remember our governement constantly coming under the threat of fiscal cliffs, shutdowns, and deficits like we have now. 

So you did or you didn't mean that "self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation" are a recent development in our political landscape?

The weight of government debt can not be sustained indefinitely.  Whether you work for the government or not,  a wise action would be to earn extra money to be saved for a future shut down or down turn in the economy. Make the sacrifice while you are healthy and have transportation and gas money.  Take on an extra job and squirrel away a few months income to sustain your family. 

Go to the ant, thou sluggard.  Consider her ways and be wise.

Not calling anyone a sluggard.....unless you spend hours on some internet forum..... :p 

rsc2a said:
So you did or you didn't mean that "self-serving political agendas and a lack of cooperation" are a recent development in our political landscape?

I meant that those agendas have brought a new normal, one that is okay with collateral damage like the furloughs.  One that seems to think that belt-tightening and fiscal repsonsibility is something for our grandchildren, but we can just print more money and enact one stop-gap measure after another as Peter gets robbed to pay Paul.