Whose Side Were They On?

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
When the controversy between modernists and Christians produced the fundamentalist movement, many Christians chose to stay in their compromise denominations and try to be a good influence. Both Charles Spurgeon and C.S.Lewis did this.

However, this eventually started the "Evangelical" movement. Wanting to be accepted by the wicked, Evangelicals sided with them against the Fundamentalists. Some Evangelical leaders viciously blasted fundamentalists for weakening their denomination.

The first definition of "Evangelical": A born-again Christian who sides with the modernists against the Fundamentalists.

Which man, Charles Spurgeon or C.S.Lewis, was an Evangelical by this definition?

I'm happy to report that every answer is wrong. Neither Charles Spurgeon nor C.S.Lewis ever allied with the wicked against the saints.

But Evangelicals define themselves doctrinally: An Evangelical believes the entire Bible, with an emphasis on the Gospels.

This vague definition can mean different things at different times. It can mean that they will focus on Christ while ignoring separation. Or they will focus on Christ while ignoring holy living. Or they are New Testament Christians who do not offer animal sacrifices. Or they are so focused on Christ that they are allowed to commit any sin they want.

This vague definition can also mean that they will struggle to win people to Christ, and there were Twentieth Century martyrs who were Evangelicals.

So which man met this definition of Evangelical?

The doctrinal definition of Evangelical is so vague that both Charles Spurgeon and C.S.Lewis qualify as Evangelicals. So does almost everyone reading this post.

Now, the point of this thread:
2) Don't let anyone bully you into believing that you're not a Fundamentalist if you don't obey him.
1) You are allowed to read books by C.S.Lewis.

Vince Massi said:
2) Don't let anyone bully you into believing that you're not a Fundamentalist if you don't obey him.

Thanks for the assist, Captain Obvious!

Vince Massi said:
The doctrinal definition of Evangelical is so vague that both Charles Spurgeon and C.S.Lewis qualify as Evangelicals. So does almost everyone reading this post.

You know if you have to explain this to people...those people are too far gone!

The problem here, T-Bone, is that you have a valid point. A lot of Christians will be afraid to read books by C.S.Lewis because some preacher tells them that Lewis was a liberal. The purpose of this series is to show God?s people that the accusation is not true.

Vince Massi said:
The problem here, T-Bone, is that you have a valid point. A lot of Christians will be afraid to read books by C.S.Lewis because some preacher tells them that Lewis was a liberal. The purpose of this series is to show God?s people that the accusation is not true.

Hopefully these people would study the Scripture for themselves and let the Holy Spirit teach them...instead of replacing one man telling them what to believe with another.

[/quote]

Hopefully these people would study the Scripture for themselves and let the Holy Spirit teach them...instead of replacing one man telling them what to believe with another.
[/quote]

"Hopefully," Yes. But a lot of Christians choose to be heavily influenced by men. I have been helped by some of C.S.Lewis' writings. The statement that we should not read anything by Lewis because he is a liberal is false in more ways than one.

[/quote]

"Hopefully," Yes. But a lot of Christians choose to be heavily influenced by men. I have been helped by some of C.S.Lewis' writings. The statement that we should not read anything by Lewis because he is a liberal is false in more ways than one.
[/quote]
I never heard any say : "don't read Lewis".
I'm pretty sure I would've read him anyway, to see what not to be.

Anyone who is grown, who hears "dont read so-n-so", while they are taking classes teaching in depth on the Cults, or "Bio's of 'great men' ", should smell a rat.

Sent from my LGL43AL using Tapatalk

prophet said:

[/quote]

Anyone who is grown, who hears "dont read so-n-so", while they are taking classes teaching in depth on the Cults, or "Bio's of 'great men' ", should smell a rat.

[/quote]  Yup...but apparently the gullibility in some circles is staggering.

T-Bone said:
prophet said:

[/quote]  Yup...but apparently the gullibility in some circles is staggering.
[/quote]
Some go fishing for gullible men...