Why Are So Many Young People Out Of Church?

Twisted

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
http://www.facebook.com/39843727181/videos/2469181339968021/

Good question. That does seem to be an issue.

Most churches have ministry options for youth/singles. So, my guess is that the problem is elsewhere. Perhaps younger people don't have the life experience to realize the importance of church attendance.

One factor may be that people like Phil Kidd are pastoring churches.

Tarheel Baptist said:

You mock everyone.  OK.

I'm sure you'll love this guy.  He's probably just your type.

http://youtu.be/JuobK8HCjw0

It's sad that so many young people are leaving the church. Noe there are more "hipster" churches popping up. Glad to see Tony Hutson make fun of those churches in his sermons/comedy routine. If Jack Hyles were alive to day he'd give all the young folks an ear full on leaving the church.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
. If Jack Hyles were alive to day he'd give all the young folks an ear full on leaving the church.

The young folks would have to be in church in order to hear ?the ear full? and, by premise of this thread, they aren?t.

Norefund said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:
. If Jack Hyles were alive to day he'd give all the young folks an ear full on leaving the church.

The young folks would have to be in church in order to hear ?the ear full? and, by premise of this thread, they aren?t.

Touche'.

Please don't confuse our comedian friend with facts.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
If Jack Hyles were alive to day he'd give all the young folks an ear full on leaving the church.

If Jack Hyles or any of his spawn were to give me an "ear full," I'd be in the emergency room post-haste for antibiotics.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You mock everyone.  OK.

Spong is interesting, but not much to my taste. I prefer historic orthodoxy.
N.T. Wright is more my speed, or when I'm feeling more liberal, Marcus Borg.
Both are experts on the historical Jesus, though I think Wright won the argmenumt in the debate book they did together.

Izdaari said:
Spong is interesting, but not much to my taste.

Glad you have no taste for apostates.

Tarheel loves the guy.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You mock everyone.  OK.

I was stating a fact.
I'm surprised you know who Spong is...

Tarheel Baptist said:
I was stating a fact.

I've read him.

That's how I know you'd like him.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I was stating a fact.

I've read him.

That's how I know you'd like him.

There is nothing I like about his belief system at all.
Spong is, in essence, an atheist who believes in a god essence (whatever that is).
I believe in the God of the Bible who is the creator, sustainer, Savior and coming King.

I would suggest that you might have more in common with him.
His belief system, like Ruckman's, require's imagination.
But, unlike Ruckman, I don't think he's racist.  ;)

HereIStand said:
Good question. That does seem to be an issue.

Most churches have ministry options for youth/singles. So, my guess is that the problem is elsewhere. Perhaps younger people don't have the life experience to realize the importance of church attendance.

It IS a good question.

It's probably a combination of things; I suspect part of it was the shallow evangelism that became popular when churches were trying to outdo one another in numbers instead of what Jesus said (to Peter, but it applicable to all): "What is that to thee? Follow thou Me".  Young people repeated a prayer with no real heart change, but the adults all told them that they were saved... but as they because teens and young adults, they were still unsaved; dead in trespasses and sins. They had no fellowship with God, and all of this "church stuff" was boring and a waste of time... so, they fled.

Another problem is that Christians became more focused on their pastor instead of on Jesus, and exalted their pastor too highly. When it was shown that he was still human with sin like anyone else, this may have caused a distrust of all leadership, and an unwillingness to get involved.

I have several young families 'attending' my church.
Their work  & lifestyle (not bad things, just things) precludes them from taking any serious part in ministry  or leadership position.

Narrow is the way...

The percentage of real Christians is most likely a lot smaller than we are expecting.

As much as we try, we may have children who have grown up in church and ultimately reject God (no matter how good or bad the church).

The honorable Rev. FSSL said:
Narrow is the way...

The percentage of real Christians is most likely a lot smaller than we are expecting.

As much as we try, we may have children who have grown up in church and ultimately reject God (no matter how good or bad the church).
This is the #1 reason.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Why Are So Many Young People Out Of Church?

Easy. Healthy people don't like to revisit places/scenarios where they were consistently abused.