Women in Leadership in the Local Church... where do you draw the line?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Women play a special role in the ministries of our churches. This raises a question as it relates to the teachings of Paul and polity in our churches.

So, discussion in this thread expects that you accept the current canon of the NT as authoritative. If you deny any part of it, just ignore this one.

What is the highest, authoritative ministry level women can attain in your church? Also, please explain.

FSSL said:
Women play a special role in the ministries of our churches. This raises a question as it relates to the teachings of Paul and polity in our churches.

So, discussion in this thread expects that you accept the current canon of the NT as authoritative. If you deny any part of it, just ignore this one.

What is the highest, authoritative ministry level women can attain in your church? Also, please explain.

Interesting... what defines an "authoritative ministry"?  I assume you don't mean the pastor's wife, although that position does seem to have a lot of authority.

In the churches I've been a part of for the last few decades, Sunday School teacher is the highest -- and they teach up to (may or may not include) teenagers.

In my youth, I was part of a church in which a woman was the choir director.

One church had a position of deaconess (I think), but it wasn't authoritative -- these were the women designated to help prepare the Lord's Supper.

Incidentally (and hijacking this thread shamelessly), a friend of mine makes a pretty good point.  He believes that the position of "deacon" is way overblown in modern churches; that anyone who is selected to serve the church in some way is doing the function of a deacon -- the couple who clean the church; the web  site maintainer; the sound man; the music director -- all of these positions are really acting as deacons, he points out.  Makes sense to me.

At my former church, the ministerial staff included a woman. Her title was ?Minster of Children.?

Are you comfortable with a woman...

Leading worship
Teaching a Bible study with men present
Aiding the Deacons as deaconess
Being the treasurer
Being the SS Superintendent
Organizing and administrating the bus ministry
Reading Scripture in morning worship

... just a few things to spark the discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSSL said:
At my former church, the ministerial staff included a woman. Her title was ?Minster of Children.?

Are you comfortable with a woman...

Leading worship
Being the treasurer

... just a few things to spark the discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leading worship
Being the treasurer

I'll bite.

1. I don't even know what this means.
2. Absolutely not!
3. Yes!
4. A Scriptural Treasurer IS a deacon.
5. Not if this requires her to oversee any men in the process.
6. Nope, see above.
7. Sure, if I knew what morning worship was...

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

The highest authoritative ministry level that does not put them in authority over a man......whatever that may be.

Explanation:  That's what God's word says .    The rest of the chapter uses the example of Adam and Eve.  It seems to be saying that the woman is more easily deceived and led away from truth and into temptation according. 

The church that I attend has a female music minister and choir director, female deacons, and probably elders. The denomination (Evangelical Presbyterian) does allow for female pastors, but I'm sure there are many. I don't like the idea of a female pastor, but a female evangelist could work, especially in a college setting.

I've always read Paul's instructions as referring to spiritual oversight, so I have no problem with women in positions of administrative authority: office managers, volunteer organizers, and so forth. They're not responsible for the instruction or discipline of men, for example - the elders are, and they're putting their instructions into action.