Women who shout and scream out in church

MrsRow

Elect
Reaction score
i was raised in IL, my parents both came from Tn.
all my kin folk live in TN.
about 3 yrs ago my family and i relocated to TN and something i've noticed down here
in the IFB churches i've been to, the women are way more vocal and even some
actually scream out or shout.  Not only are the women more emotionally expressive,
but the men are too!  I dont think i've been in a Sunday morning service yet where
the song leader, all have been male, hasn't wept. 

I've recently been watching sermons on youtube and various church websites of Tony Hutson, Pastor of Middle TN Baptist Church.
He definitely encourages and defends the shouting liberty of women in church services.
The church that i attended in IL for many years after my salvation, NBBC, Pastored by Keith Gomez, the women were very quiet.  We smiled and nodded our heads there and or some women would lift a hand & sometimes hold up a hanker chef.  Not once do i recall a woman there ever shouting or screaming.  As a matter of fact, the show of emotions seemed to be ... well it didnt happen too often and when it did, it was under MUCH control.

Lately i've been attending a church here in TN which used to be part of another church that i used to attend when we first moved down here.  It's all rather puzzling and somewhat coincidental how i have gotten to know and be a part of both churches.  in the first church, the Pastors wife was very vocal, screaming out during a song and even sometimes standing up and interrupting her husband while he preached just to testify, claiming that the spirit was moving her to do so and she just had to obey the spirit.  I could just imagine Pastor Gomez's wife standing and doing that!!!! Actually, no i couldn't!!!  I won't deny that it made me uncomfortable, but i trusted that if her husband allowed it, then i guess it was alright.  After all, she was minding the spirit and she wasn't saying anything unscriptural, just praising Jesus.
Since i've been attending the church that had split off from the first church down here, i've noticed that the women here are quiet.  No screaming out, no popping up in the middle of service to testify.    Sometimes a few of the men will randomly stand and testify and praise the Lord's name after a song, but never interrupting a song or a sermon.

Church does seem different here in the south so far. 
But what are yalls opinions / beliefs about women shouting during the song service or during a sermon?

P.s.  Also the folks up north hardly EVER hugged, yet church members down here hug all the time, even if they just first meet you!

Matthew 15:23 But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, “Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us.”

:eek:
Just kidding.
I imagine those up North, I live in California, are more emotionally reserved. It's all ok

Psalms 98:6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn Shout joyfully before the King, the Lord.

Personally, I think hugging someone you just met is  inappropriate. But I understand nice people sometimes do that

Biker said:
Matthew 15:23 But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, “Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us.”

Just kidding.
I imagine those up North, I live in California, are more emotionally reserved. It's all ok

Psalms 98:6 With trumpets and the sound of the horn Shout joyfully before the King, the Lord.

Personally, I think hugging someone you just met is  inappropriate. But I understand nice people sometimes do that

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But hug me, maybe?

The Rogue Tomato said:
Biker said:

Just kidding.

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But hug me, maybe?
Ok but you gotta buy me dinner first!

I have always hugged people, whem formally introduced.
Alot of times White people get weirded out, nobody else really does.

prophet said:
Alot of times White people get weirded out

Put on some clothes first.  That'll help. 

aleshanee said:
prophet said:

i;m not white.... not even a little bit..... :-..... but i get seriously freaked out if people try to hug me.... when i see them moving closer and their arms begin to spread i instinctively move backwards... and sometimes end up running away if they persist or seem aggressive about it...... i don;t take hands offered to shake either...... and i purposely avoid people who can;t get the message or can;t take a hint..........  but people that know me well are already aware of all this and they know the reasons why.....  and when it comes to church.... unless i;m singing or taking part in special music i;m quiet as a mouse.....  :-X ......

on the old fff i had these lyrics to a song on my sig line.......

"your world is yours not mine... your dreams belong to you....
you may have touched the stars but they were not moved...
and though you reach for me i may not choose to hold your hand...
i may smile... or i might turn away........."  8)
You have PTSD, so it is understandable.

We (Natives) are known for our friendly acceptance of strangers, especially you Navajo.

Don't hug me.............................please.

aleshanee said:
prophet said:
aleshanee said:
prophet said:

i;m not white.... not even a little bit..... :-..... but i get seriously freaked out if people try to hug me.... when i see them moving closer and their arms begin to spread i instinctively move backwards... and sometimes end up running away if they persist or seem aggressive about it...... i don;t take hands offered to shake either...... and i purposely avoid people who can;t get the message or can;t take a hint..........  but people that know me well are already aware of all this and they know the reasons why.....  and when it comes to church.... unless i;m singing or taking part in special music i;m quiet as a mouse.....  :-X ......

on the old fff i had these lyrics to a song on my sig line.......

"your world is yours not mine... your dreams belong to you....
you may have touched the stars but they were not moved...
and though you reach for me i may not choose to hold your hand...
i may smile... or i might turn away........."  8)
You have PTSD, so it is understandable.

We (Natives) are known for our friendly acceptance of strangers, especially you Navajo.

i don;t think strangers find me too unfriendly... at least not the ones who are understanding..... and i have no problem accepting them...... just so long they keep an acceptable distance....  ;) ..... but i know what you mean.....  8)

Texas surfers for sure! :p

I don't find it particularly hard to distinguish the huggers from the non.  The body language is quite clear.  But it is important to pay attention.

I am rather standoffish myself, but not with everybody.  I cheek kiss or hug a few people.  I'll shake hands with anybody, but that's just my corporate business training kicking in.  And that's exactly how I keep some people at arm's length...I stick out my hand.

In the case of my friend aleshanee, I believe I could read her body language correctly.  At our first meeting, I would instinctively know not to try to hug her, so I'd probably stick out my hand out of habit, but if she didn't take it, I wouldn't be offended. 

i will pay closer attention to the huggers at church tomorrow!  :) now i'm even more curious who hugs who and all that jazz since i've been attending for a while and getting to know who the people are. 
Also, i aim to ask one of the ladies that i'm closer with about the whole women and shouting.  she's been very encouraging to me and my daughter and giving us rides to church.  Also, she loves to talk about different cultures ect.
:)

I don't hug every woman. I guess it depends on the circumstances.

Only if she's really good looking  ;)

Patebald said:
I don't hug every woman. I guess it depends on the circumstances.

Only if she's really good looking  ;)

Or if her husband is not around.

Web said:
Can "scream out in church" be defined a little more clearly?  Are you talking about a horror movie scream where the actress is about to be killed?  Or more like a "woo-hoo" scream like one might do at a football game?  Or like Richard Rawlings from Fast and Loud "whoa" when he makes a good deal?

Crazy screaming christian girl at some Jesus camp.

I like the chicken thing she does at the end.

I was raised in the North. Very staid and stoic people who were not at all demonstrative but would give the shirt off of their backs once they got to know you. No shouting, No amens, No hugging, etc. I will not hug a woman unless she is old (you know what I mean) or a relative. I have had several young girls who could be my granddaughters hug me but that is all. I never saw my dad hug a woman in church or any other place. Grandparents, Never! Unless it was a relative.

I never hug the women, but they seem to all want to hug me.............................................. heifers.