Would like to find the answer as to why.....

groupie

Elect
Reaction score
Why is it that IFB and even most of those that have left the IFB movement do not know the true meaning of what friendship is?? I have many, many Christian friends that love and care for me (and I love and care for them too) - however none of them have ever been IFB.

I used to think I had a slew of friends at the old church downtown and often wondered how they were doing. I found myself checking in on them after all these years and they acted strange. Although I went on activities with many of them, was in classes at HAC with them and even have been to their houses, they acted as if we were never good friends. Some I helped get jobs and some I hired to work for me..

The thing that gets me the most is the ones that have left that are claiming to been have been hurt and mistreated, then in turn mistreating and hurting others  - the whole time even acting as if they are above the IFB.

Why is it that I find lasting, true friendships (brotherly love actually) with people of other denominations, but absolutely zero from my old IFB days. How can I be such good friends with people I have known a short time, but not with those I knew for over a decade??

Perhaps someone who has life experience within that culture can explain it. I don't have much of an idea about it myself.

I could guess, but I won't.  Okay, I will.  Maybe they don't want to be unequally yoked with non-IFBs?  IFBs seem to really be obsessed with that yokiness thing. 

Groupie , I understand what you're saying... I had a friend who I was on one of his bus routes and I ask him to contact me and he said he buried his past and wished me the best....I wish him well and respect his wishes... but I'm like you what happened, he was a preaching machine now nothing....God is in charge not me...

It may be more of FBCH than IFB in general.  Consider what was said to the Bartley's when they left FBCH for another IFB church.... but then again, a local pastor IFB pastor decided that standards would be set if clearly defined by scripture, so he was not going to rail against pants on women; some die-hard IFB folks (Former HAC folks, most drop-outs) left and would rather wade in biblical uncertainty than rest wholly in the Word.  They are still working from the outside trying to get folks to leave the church, shameful.

I understand..though I do have some good friends that are IFB I still found your scenario play out in my life many times. There are some that have told of their own hard experiences at HAC and when I have reached out to them, expressing interest in their stories and tried to share my own it was if I didn't exist or got a reaction similar to that of "get over it".  I guess to them it's all about them and nobody more!

qwerty said:
It may be more of FBCH than IFB in general.  Consider what was said to the Bartley's when they left FBCH for another IFB church.... but then again, a local pastor IFB pastor decided that standards would be set if clearly defined by scripture, so he was not going to rail against pants on women; some die-hard IFB folks (Former HAC folks, most drop-outs) left and would rather wade in biblical uncertainty than rest wholly in the Word.  They are still working from the outside trying to get folks to leave the church, shameful.

That pastor is a close, personal friend of mine and I applaud his decision. If it is not in the Bible then it should not be preached from the pulpit. Some people cling to their sacred cows so tightly that they would not let go of them if they were drowning in the sea.

I recently heard the phrase I hate the most - Like it or lump it, if you don't like my preaching then you can blah, blah, blah ......Every time I hear that I cringe. :(

groupie said:
qwerty said:

That pastor is a close, personal friend of mine and I applaud his decision. If it is not in the Bible then it should not be preached from the pulpit. Some people cling to their sacred cows so tightly that they would not let go of them if they were drowning in the sea.

I recently heard the phrase I hate the most - Like it or lump it, if you don't like my preaching then you can blah, blah, blah ......Every time I hear that I cringe. :(
Not real Berean, huh?

Anishinaabe

groupie said:
Why is it that IFB and even most of those that have left the IFB movement do not know the true meaning of what friendship is??

I have found IFB folks to be very friendly in the numerous churches we have called home.  Sorry your experience has been different from mine.  Let's do coffee  :D

Except, I'll drink diet soda. 

Ever feel like you are in the movie, 'bodysnatchers', Groupie?  Like everyone you thought you knew has been replaced?  That's the weird feeling I get sometimes, when a close friend treats me like a guest (yes, I quoted Gracie Slick). 
I usually conclude that problem must be me.

Anishinaabe