your thoughts on the Independent Baptist movement

some say the ifb is in decline while others say it is on the rise...what do you say?

• it is on the rise.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • it's on the decline

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • there are some issues that need to be worked out but all in all it's stable. no growth or decline

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I gave up on the ifb, it's a lost cause.

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

CrAyCrAyJaY

Elect
Reaction score
I believe that the ifb movement is stable. No growth or decline but I
Really don't have anything to back that statement up, so really it's
Just my opinion.

Not my circus so it doesn't matter to me.

It's a very broad question; the man-centered IFB groups (such as JH supported, and many, many other churches model) needs to die, and probably is in decrease.

However, I don't know how many of the supposedly 10,000 IFB churches are like that.  I think the IFB doctrines are Biblical.

I think, too, that Christians in their 40s and 50s are leaving churches that they perceive as changing or going liberal (such as in music) and are looking for traditional churches. At the same time, these same churches are seeing younger people leaving... so, the number may be stable, but it's in flux.  A healthy churches needs people of all ages.

I am moving this thread to the Fighting Forum, where it is on-topic.

I'm about a third through my second book and it deals precisely with this topic. It diagnoses the strengths and weaknesses of the IFB movement.

I'd say what was said above.... the man centered groups have to fold..and i believe they are. Aside from that, I wouldn't say decline.. probably stable.

Many of the man-centered groups have churches under their umbrella that are not so far gone...a little tweaking and they'd be ok.

In my state (Louisiana), especially down south, we have three good churches in New Orleans. The one Swamp Hag goes to in that parish is as good as anything you will find anywhere. Great pastor.  in Baton rouge, the Independent Bapt School movement is about dead..close to it.

New Ind Baptist works springing up all over.

The SBC is said to lose 900 churches a year and plant more than they lose,, its not an easy climate for churches these days. Thankfully, both the SBC and InD Bapt missions abroad are doing well.

Its a "MOVEMENT" all right!!!!

IFB are very similar to the Pharisees during Christ's advent. So very close to the Truth.... yet so very far. It has the pretense of righteousness.... but its full of dead men's bones!

There is always an exception to most any rule. Paul WAS a Pharisee!!!.... Notice the word "WAS".

Whenever I think of "movements" it reminds me a local port-a-potty company. Their slogan: "We are number 1 in the number 2 business"

Tom Brennan said:
I'm about a third through my second book and it deals precisely with this topic. It diagnoses the strengths and weaknesses of the IFB movement.
You wanna' give us a brief overview?

Recovering IFB said:
Tom Brennan said:

No doubt much if it will be research "gleaned" from the pages of the FFF!  (Maybe he'll quote something I said!!)

Recovering IFB said:
Tom Brennan said:

The IFB get the best mansions in heaven.  ;D

Smellin Coffee said:
Not my circus so it doesn't matter to me.

As a former IFB circus clown, I threw away my red nose, big pants and floppy shoes long ago.

Tom Brennan said:
Recovering IFB said:
Tom Brennan said:

My blog post announcing it is here: http://concerningjesus.blogspot.com/2015/06/announcing-my-next-book-schizophrenic.html

The working title is Schizophrenic, A Diagnosis of the Independent Baptist Movement

Are you quoting Bass in this...sounds like her book!  ;)

Tom Brennan said:
Recovering IFB said:
Tom Brennan said:

My blog post announcing it is here: http://concerningjesus.blogspot.com/2015/06/announcing-my-next-book-schizophrenic.html

The working title is Schizophrenic, A Diagnosis of the Independent Baptist Movement

You might want to throw another mental disorder in the mix..... Maybe.... "Obsessive–compulsive disorder".

CrAyCrAyJaY said:
I believe that the ifb movement is stable. No growth or decline but I
Really don't have anything to back that statement up, so really it's
Just my opinion.

In the thread title you mentioned the "Independent Baptist movement" {no f} but in the OP you refer to the ifb movement. It's been my observation that most "IB" folk {laypeople anyways} know as much about fundamentalism as donnie knows about Roman Catholicism. But that's just my experience.

Tom Brennan said:
Recovering IFB said:
Tom Brennan said:

Not being snarky here, but just curious: coming to the same conclusions as BASSENCO?

51m8hvzcf6L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg