A Drag Queen Tops the iTunes Christian Charts

Dr. Huk-N-Duck

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Good for Flamy!

Not my kind of music but certainly an accomplishment. I've met Flamy's co-conspirator, Derek Webb, formerly the lead of Caedmon's Call, a popular CCM group in the early 2000s. It was Derek's song "Boys Will Be Girls" that initiated Flamy's newfound popularity.

I've personally met (and become church friends with) a few different Queens and from my personal experience from the ones I know, they are the kindest, most generous and gracious folks I could ever meet and know.

Though being a Queen it NOT my personal thing, I've never felt intimidated, threatened, "tempted", or less-than when I converse with them.

To add to my post, Biblical Joseph was more than likely a Queen as well. There is Jewish Midrash of Torah that clearly points this out.

🤮🤮🤮🤮

Thanks for sharing…somehow this entire gay/transgender/drag queen Christian musician movement escaped me. I tend to listen to talk/news/sports radio, so I’m not much of a music listener—Christian or non-Christian. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m a bit shocked. Although I was a kid, I remember back when Amy Grant, Steve Green, and later Jars of Clay, were considered controversial among members in my conservative church. I guess it’s just hard to fathom that we’ve gone from conversations about Jars of Clay to “Christian” drag queen singers in the last twenty-something years.

Thanks for sharing…somehow this entire gay/transgender/drag queen Christian musician movement escaped me. I tend to listen to talk/news/sports radio, so I’m not much of a music listener—Christian or non-Christian. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m a bit shocked. Although I was a kid, I remember back when Amy Grant, Steve Green, and later Jars of Clay, were considered controversial among members in my conservative church. I guess it’s just hard to fathom that we’ve gone from conversations about Jars of Clay to “Christian” drag queen singers in the last twenty-something years.
I'm not into CCM anymore either but I don't think it is a "movement" just yet. Flamy is the only Queen artist I know that produces CCM music so he is probably the first to break through.

I think I can relate to your experience quite a bit. In my younger "carnal" years as a Christian I did not devote ANY energy to music of a religious nature, and only listened to "radio"/CDs/etc which came from the repository of secular roots of my older brothers, namely (first generation) classic rock. After getting serious about fundamental/evangelical Christianity I pivoted to a position of listening to primarily HAC/BoJo/Southern Gospel (The Inspirations was my favorite). In the last 5-10 years I've softened a bit on the militancy issues like music, and do listen to satellite radio genres of music I grew up on, but in doing so I limit that to music that don't have a patently offensive anti-Christian theme. Having said all that, nothing in our culture surprises me anymore. People claiming to be Christians while denying basic fundamental core principles of orthodox Christianity simply mirrors the postmodern turn of a younger generation that can rabidly and radically claim that "you have your truth and I have mine". Couple that rugged and outrageous autonomous spirit is only further exacerbated by the truly radical leftist agendas that easily spread their message through social media. Add in a dose of cancel-culture and young people are afraid to buck the swelling tide of worldliness that swamps them.

Last edited:
I think I can relate to your experience quite a bit. In my younger "carnal" years as a Christian I did not devote ANY energy to music of a religious nature, and only listened to "radio"/CDs/etc which came from the repository of secular roots of my older brothers, namely (first generation) classic rock. After getting serious about fundamental/evangelical Christianity I pivoted to a position of listening to primarily HAC/BoJo/Southern Gospel (The Inspirations was my favorite). In the last 5-10 years I've softened a bit on the militancy issues like music, and do listen to satellite radio genres of music I grew up on, but in doing so I limit that to music that don't have a patently offensive anti-Christian theme. Having said all that, nothing in our culture surprises me anymore. People claiming to be Christians while denying basic fundamental core principles of orthodox Christianity simply mirrors the postmodern turn of a younger generation that can rabidly and radically claim that "you have your truth and I have mine". Couple that rugged and outrageous autonomous spirit is only further exacerbated by the truly radical leftist agendas that easily spread their message through social media. Add in a dose of cancel-culture and young people are afraid to buck the swelling tide of worldliness that swamps them.
I’ll occasionally listen to a little southern gospel and country, but not a fan of most modern country with the exception of an occasional new song. I’ve developed a taste for music that I’d say is closer in range to my grandparents era—50s and 60s pop, plus some country from around the 50s - 80s range. However, like I said, I still primarily feed on talk radio. Anyway, sad to see what’s considered “fringe” in the Christian music community today versus when I was a teen. It makes me wonder what the discussion will be twenty years from now….

I still remember the kerfluffle over the Gaithers' "The King Is Coming" since the Gaithers were amillennialists and there was no mention of the rapture, etc.
Also Dallas Holm's "Rise Again" got some pushback since critics claimed the lyrics were putting words in Jesus' mouth.

We live in strange times, when someone like Sean Feucht (a former worship leader of Bethel Church) is called far right by some. I know his politics are definitely right of center but he doesn't look that way.

Last edited:
I suppose it makes sense when you consider that Matt Walsh was the number one selling “lgbtq author” when he released his walrus book.

In his song “Boys Will Be Girls,” Webb sings, “I heard Jesus loved and spent his life with those who/Were abandoned by proud and fearful men/So if a church won’t celebrate and love you/They’re believing lies that can’t save you or them/Cause you’re so beautiful by any name.”
Those lyrics might, superficially, sound compassionate. But when we look closely at what Jesus called people to do when He invited them to follow Him, we see truly radical compassion paired with an equally radical call to repentance from our self-absorption.
In Matthew 9:36, we read this description of Jesus: “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” Jesus came “to seek and save the lost” (Luke 19:10). He did, in fact, love those who “were abandoned by proud and fearful men,” as Webb sings.
...being proud and fearful themselves.