About the Updated Gdansk Polish Bible

A

admin

In our discussions, I am quite pleased to see that the common errors of the KJV are not replicated in the Updated Gdansk Polish Bible. So, here are my questions:

1) Who is the active updating committee members and what are their qualifications? You know... the standard stuff at the beginning of our Bibles.

2) When will the Old Testament be completed?

admin said:
In our discussions, I am quite pleased to see that the common errors of the KJV are not replicated in the Updated Gdansk Polish Bible. So, here are my questions:

1) Who is the active updating committee members and what are their qualifications? You know... the standard stuff at the beginning of our Bibles.

Let me see, there's me, myself, and I. Then of course there is the Holy Trinity - the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, with the latter doing the brunt of the work, "moving us along", don't you know! Then there is Brother West, along with a number of  professional grammarians and volunteers from various churches and backgrounds. I'll list the names exactly as they are listed in my copy of the NIV and NASB, let me put them here: __________________________________.

I will say this, though, everyone is college educated (except one) and most have degrees of some sort. I'm sure the reader will understand why I'm reluctant to bring their names into this debate forum. There are two Americans working on the project, one Dutchman and the rest are highly educated Poles whose linguistic abilities far outweigh mine. The "hack" on the committee has done what he could (Mk 14:8) and as much as in me is (Rm 1:15) determined by the grace of God to finish the course (2Tm 4:7) despite the calls by those much more gifted and with learning in Hebrew and Greek demanding that he abandon ship and throw in the towel, get off the foreign field because he doesn't have a MDiv, etc. Man-o-man, that hack has a long memory! It seems that those much more talented and gifted would rather spend their time traveling around the USA than come to Poland. It was never my intention to get involved in such a project, yet, here I am by the grace of God. I agree with Luther who I've quoted previously:

"I have undertaken to translate the Bible into German. This was good for me; otherwise I might have died in the mistaken notion that I was a learned fellow." Martin Luther

When it is finished. :)

It's taken us over 10 years to finish the New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs, it's anybody's guess when we'll finish the Old Testament.

admin said:

Did you ever find out who the translators were?

Do they have a web page that outlines the usual info normally given by the translation committee?

bgwilkinson said:
admin said:

Did you ever find out who the translators were?

Do they have a web page that outlines the usual info normally given by the translation committee?

See post #2.
By the way, you are way behind in answering questions.  Is there a specific reason that you insisted that I go back and answer all of your questions, which I did, and now you refuse to answer my questions? Are you afraid of something? Come out from the shadows and confront your fears.

Translation projects normally publish information about their new translation as noted above.

Only those with something to hide, it would seem, would cover up what they are doing.

The consensus of the Bible believing Christians is so important, you know.

Many of them will post their drafts on the internet for comment. NET Bible comes to mind.

What better place than here to reveal the man or men (maybe women) behind the curtain.

bgwilkinson said:
Translation projects normally publish information about their new translation as noted above.

Only those with something to hide, it would seem, would cover up what they are doing.

The consensus of the Bible believing Christians is so important, you know.

Many of them will post their drafts on the internet for comment. NET Bible comes to mind.

What better place than here to reveal the man or men (maybe women) behind the curtain.

Exactly.  When they had it open, I entered several comments in the NetBible's online system. I really liked the fact they would embrace opposing commentary.

admin said:

I already answered these questions, but let the reader take note:

"...at the beginning of our Bibles", I made the font bigger so that you wouldn't miss it.

I checked Barry's, Scott's and other Bibles and there is zero, nada, zilch, blank, nothing about who translated their Bible nor their credentials. Frankly, our team isn't looking for glory, it is after all, "The word of God in Polish". 

Mitex said:
admin said:

I already answered these questions, but let the reader take note:

"...at the beginning of our Bibles", I made the font bigger so that you wouldn't miss it.

I checked Barry's, Scott's and other Bibles and there is zero, nada, zilch, blank, nothing about who translated their Bible nor their credentials. Frankly, our team isn't looking for glory, it is after all, "The word of God in Polish".

LOL.... You're not looking for glory and you call your translation the "Word of God in Polish"? Yeah. Right. Like God Himself commissioned your labor of love.

No..... you don't want any glory at all. None. If "wanting glory" is defined as you see it...... then why have you detailed yourself among those that produced its pages. If you didn't want any glory..... then you would have did it, published under a pseudo name and forgot about it. You can't be serious.

I just pulled the NIV off my shelf I keep here at work. Right there in the front:

Names of the translators and editors may be obtained from the International Bible Society

About 0.235 seconds on Google gives me this: http://www.niv-cbt.org/translators/

Seems to me like Mitex is making a concerted effort to not make known the translators of the edition he is working on, reason enough for me to advise people to be extremely cautious about using it.

admin said:
My original Bible had names. I no longer have a paper version. My digital copies tell me where I can get the list.

Yes. I have several copies (obviously excluding the one I keep here at work) that give the full list of names. Same with one of my ESVs. (The other is a thin-line and doesn't include any "extras".)

admin said:
My original Bible had names. I no longer have a paper version. My digital copies tell me where I can get the list.

Nowhere does Mitex have a list. Perhaps Ruckman, or even Avery give translational input!

I'll take your word for it that your original copy had a list of names and qualifications. My copy doesn't have any names nor qualifications as you incorrectly stated. Nor do my copies of the NASB, ASV, NKJV, AV, RVA, Gdańsk, etc.

I did just notice, after checking again, that there is place to write for the information in my NIV. I'll give you the same courtesy.

Wrota Nadziei
ul. Armii Ludowej 71B, lok. 26
87-100 Toruń
Poland

Has anyone found out who Mitex' fellows are on his translation committee?

After-all they've been together about 10 years.

Do you think they may not know of his unusual translation philosophies?

Or is he still obfuscating?

Is he hiding?

Has Mitex revealed his fellow translators?

Why is he keeping this information a secret?

admin said:
Perhaps he needs a start.

Brent Riggs
Google Translate Toolbar
...with contributions from Barry
bgwilkinson
Sawbones
etc.

I see that we have identified a difficult conundrum for you!
Your man-made definition of Scripture has eliminated your own work.

admin said:
There is no consensus regarding the use of your update. Also there are errors. Doesn't that mean it is not a Bible according to your own definition?

Until there is a complete OT, it will never have a consensus. Whatever a consensus is.

Mitex avoids this... why? The silence provides the answer.

Any word yet on updating the Gdansk OT?

Here are the rules for the Modern Gdansk. What do you think of this? Is this their Translators to the Reader?

Is Mitex Miles Smithe?

from web site for the New updated Gdansk Bible. Gate of Hope Foundation founders, Brent Riggs and Joe West.

We wish you God's blessings,

Joseph West

Michael Riggs

Gate of Hope Foundation
Fundacja Wrota Nadziei
ul. Armii Ludowej 71B lok. 26
87-100 Toruń, Poland

This is a clumsy machine translation, but you get the idea.

http://wrotanadziei.org/index.php/zasady-ubg

This is in Polish.
Use Google to get an idea of what it says.

Mitex said:
admin said:

Nowhere does Mitex have a list. Perhaps Ruckman, or even Avery give translational input!

I'll take your word for it that your original copy had a list of names and qualifications. My copy doesn't have any names nor qualifications as you incorrectly stated. Nor do my copies of the NASB, ASV, NKJV, AV, RVA, Gdańsk, etc.

I did just notice, after checking again, that there is place to write for the information in my NIV. I'll give you the same courtesy.

Wrota Nadziei
ul. Armii Ludowej 71B, lok. 26
87-100 Toruń
Poland

This is at least a start on the identity of the committee members.

Brent Riggs
Joe West
Edyta Kostrzewa, MA in Polish
Alicja Szewczyk MA in Polish
Ania Filipek
Agnieszka Odum

Materials for the Gdansk, Order of Priority.

I have extracted this from the Mitex Polish language web site:
http://wrotanadziei.org/index.php/zasady-ubg

I have attempted to interpret and understand the methods of Mitex translation team. This is my rewrite of his material in my own words. If he provided an English version this would not be necessary. I am trying to represent what he said based on my interpretation of his polish with minimum spin of my own. I would hope Mitex would offer some corrections based on his position as author and his knowledge of the Polish language and maybe even give us his English version.

Purpose of the Polish Bible Gdansk 1632 update

1 Modernizing the archaic grammar and vocabulary.

2 Standardizing the numbering of the verses with other Textus Receptus based Bibles and standardization of words, when such standardization does not change the underlying meaning of the text of the Bible Gdansk, ie. in Luke 2.33 "father" - "Joseph". In these rare cases, the original word of the Bible Gdansk is in the footnote.

Translation rules for the Modern Gdansk NT.

1. Highest authority given to the Gdansk Bible and was used as the base text, much like the KJV translators used the Bishop's Bible as their base text.
a. Gdansk interprets the Gdansk.  b. Old Polish dictionaries were also used.

2. Bibles based on the Textus Receptus (English, Spanish, German, Russian, Greek, etc.) are  second in order of authority, to which we refer, when trying to understand the archaic words, phrases and grammatical structures.
a. Textus Receptus based Bibles are used for finding the right word.
i. comments form authors such as Gill, Matthew Henry, Young, Brown, Calvin, Luther, Robertson, Scofield, Spurgeon, etc.
ii. Via the Internet and Polish National Library.
b. Textus Receptus Bibles take precedence.

3. Contemporary Polish translations (NIV, NKJV, NIV Prague, Ecumenical Translation, the New World Translation and New Testaments issued by the Trinitarian Bible Society) is the third source for understanding the archaic language of the Gdansk Bible.
a. Contemporary Polish translations provide clues as to the correctness of the language used in the update.
b. The base text of the contemporary Polish Bibles (those not based on the Textus Receptus) have an advantage over the base text of the Bible Gdansk.

4. Sense is more important than literary style.
a. Verb noun order used is contemporary.
b. Elimination of archaic repetition, does not change meaning.
c. Hard to understand phrases are brought into the modern vernacular form.
d. Familiar phrases commonly used by Jesus, for example, "Verily, verily ..." are left untouched.

5. When the above rules do not provide an answer, stick to the text of the Bible Gdansk, "grace for grace" in John 1:16.