Al Mohler on Andy Stanley.

Does anyone know what the middle ground is on Sodomy?

Does anyone know what the middle ground is on Sodomy?
According to Stanley, you just disqualified yourself from being invited to the conversation with that radically harmful use of hate speech.

😉

"Goin' off the rails on the Crazy Train..."

I just had a conversation with a good fundamental family (connections to PCC) recently who has a godly (fundamentalist) loved one that is a shut-in who they care for. She watches Sunday morning preachers for her "church" and preaching. The list of TV preachers they listen to on Sunday morning included Charles Stanley (not exactly my cup of tea, but nothing doctrinally wrong with Dr Stanley, rest his soul). So in just making conversation with them I said Charles was fine, but if they ever come across Andy they should run fast and far from that channel. They didn't have a clue who he was, as is often the case with these famous preachers. They influence many people for sure, but most older folk could not care less about the popularity contest of evangelical American Christianity, thank goodness.

Ya. I've been checking out Campus Church at PCC lately because we're intending to visit them next June. I've probably relayed this a hundred times already but after Mrs. abcaines retires next year, we're taking an extended road trip to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and Pensacola. I've been promising to take her to Pensacola ever since we've been together as I know she would love the beaches in the area.

Despite how different I am today from the philosophy of PCC, I still treasure my time hanging out with that crowd 40 years ago. I cannot deny that God used them to great extent in building the foundation of what I believe and walk in today. We plan to visit them on a Wednesday evening as the atmosphere will be a bit more relaxed and not as crowded. The Mrs. and I will likely be riding the bike around since part of the reason for the trip is to connect with fellow CMA members from various places, so, we'll likely show up on the Goldwing wearing our CMA colors. Don't worry. We aren't going to show up looking like scruffy bikers. We're thinking slacks and conservative polo shirts which have the CMA logo on them.

....The Mrs. and I will likely be riding the bike around since part of the reason for the trip is to connect with fellow CMA members from various places, so, we'll likely show up on the Goldwing wearing our CMA colors. Don't worry. We aren't going to show up looking like scruffy bikers. We're thinking slacks and conservative polo shirts which have the CMA logo on them.
Where's the fun in THAT???

😁

Trust me, I'm horribly tempted to flaunt my liberty at PCC. However, the Holy Spirit will likely put a load of conviction on me if I do. No, we're not going to deny what we are but then again, we're not going to make a case out of it. Inasmuch as we can be who we are and not rock the boat, we'll do that. I want to leave the crew there with a good impression of what we are and what we represent.

I just had a conversation with a good fundamental family (connections to PCC) recently who has a godly (fundamentalist) loved one that is a shut-in who they care for. She watches Sunday morning preachers for her "church" and preaching. The list of TV preachers they listen to on Sunday morning included Charles Stanley (not exactly my cup of tea, but nothing doctrinally wrong with Dr Stanley, rest his soul). So in just making conversation with them I said Charles was fine, but if they ever come across Andy they should run fast and far from that channel. They didn't have a clue who he was, as is often the case with these famous preachers. They influence many people for sure, but most older folk could not care less about the popularity contest of evangelical American Christianity, thank goodness.

I once visited his church in Alpharetta, here in the Atlanta area. I was used to more "churchy" churches. So I showed up in a three piece suit. Everyone else was seemingly in shorts and sandals. I stood out enough that people knew I wasn't a regular. I had a woman come up to me in a halter top. While she was nice to me and welcomed me, I wasn't impressed. The service was more of a performance than a service. Between the LOUD rock music and the ACTUAL strobing light going around and around I was put in a mood not to be surprised when I saw a man come out in blue jeans. That was Andy Stanley. I don't remember at all what he spoke about but I do remember the atmosphere, along with the money changers in the bookstore.

If one's goal in leading a church is the edification of the saints, then it isn't necessary to have a large church and one can have a small group of people where they kneel themselves in prayer and supplication and with the study of the scriptures. And it isn't necessary to alter the scriptures in order to affect the attendance. Because a large attendance isn't the main objective.

On the other hand, if one's goal is to exchange money in the temple, to have large coffers of money and a large overhead, then it's necessary to have a large group of people. And so, it doesn't surprise me that in our culture today as everything is so disobedient to the teaching of the Bible, that it's necessary for the clergy to begin to say that "no, the Bible doesn't really say that" . . ."We've misunderstood all these years, what the Bible is saying".

The Bible says what it says (whether one likes it or not) and one would do well not to attempt to alter its meaning. I know you don't expect one such as me to say this but this is what I believe. One would do well to find a small church where its goal is the study of the Bible and the edification of the church.

Last edited:
Trust me, I'm horribly tempted to flaunt my liberty at PCC. However, the Holy Spirit will likely put a load of conviction on me if I do. No, we're not going to deny what we are but then again, we're not going to make a case out of it. Inasmuch as we can be who we are and not rock the boat, we'll do that. I want to leave the crew there with a good impression of what we are and what we represent.
I know you well enough that you wouldn’t pull anything spiritually petty.

I once visited his church in Alpharetta, here in the Atlanta area. I was used to more "churchy" churches. So I showed up in a three piece suit. Everyone else was seemingly in shorts and sandals. I stood out enough that people knew I wasn't a regular. I had a woman come up to me in a halter top. While she was nice to me and welcomed me, I wasn't impressed. The service was more of a performance than a service. Between the LOUD rock music and the ACTUAL strobing light going around and around I was put in a mood not to be surprised when I saw a man come out in blue jeans. That was Andy Stanley. I don't remember at all what he spoke about but I do remember the atmosphere, along with the money changers in the bookstore.

If one's goal in leading a church is the edification of the saints, then it isn't necessary to have a large church and one can have a small group of people where they kneel themselves in prayer and supplication and with the study of the scriptures. And it isn't necessary to alter the scriptures in order to affect the attendance. Because a large attendance isn't the main objective.

On the other hand, if one's goal is to exchange money in the temple, to have large coffers of money and a large overhead, then it's necessary to have a large group of people. And so, it doesn't surprise me that in our culture today as everything is so disobedient to the teaching of the Bible, that it's necessary for the clergy to begin to say that "no, the Bible doesn't really say that" . . ."We've misunderstood all these years, what the Bible is saying".

The Bible says what it says (whether one likes it or not) and one would do well not to attempt to alter its meaning. I know you don't expect one such as me to say this but this is what I believe. One would do well to find a small church where its goal is the study of the Bible and the edification of the church.

It’s possible to have a megachurch and not fall into the kind of “numbers” compromising fame-game like you experienced, but it seems like that sort of church model draws the Barnum and Bailey megalomaniac type.

Greg Koukl & Alan Shlemon - both of STR - discuss Stanley's Unconditional Conference (Shlemon attended to get a first-hand account).

Andy Stanley has been off the rails for a while on LGBTQ things. I check Protestia.com regularly. Not that I agree with their take, but they report on stories that others skip. They've had links and evidence that he has gone to the dark side already over a year or more ago.

Greg Koukl & Alan Shlemon - both of STR - discuss Stanley's Unconditional Conference (Shlemon attended to get a first-hand account).

I wanted to hear what Greg Koukl had to say but I either need to download player.fm app or open a chrome browser. Neither of which I'll do.

I wanted to hear what Greg Koukl had to say but I either need to download player.fm app or open a chrome browser. Neither of which I'll do.
I'm sure you can find the podcast wherever STR podcasts are available.