Alistair Begg and transgender weddings

I looked up the Pike County Murders and waded through a bunch of articles. It was hard to piece together who did what and why. I finally figured out it was basically one of the victims crossed the Wagner family. The closest thing any of the articles came to mentioning religion was saying that the Wagners homeschooled their children and that they were "cultish" in their tight knit family. Nothing was said about church or religion. Plenty was said about it being a poor [white trash] Appalachian community. The prosecutor referred to the family as a "crime syndicate."

Sorry, @ALAYMAN , but that link you provided was poorly written and very hard to follow... So I had to go to several other sources.

I looked up the Pike County Murders and waded through a bunch of articles. It was hard to piece together who did what and why. I finally figured out it was basically one of the victims crossed the Wagner family. The closest thing any of the articles came to mentioning religion was saying that the Wagners homeschooled their children and that they were "cultish" in their tight knit family. Nothing was said about church or religion. Plenty was said about it being a poor [white trash] Appalachian community. The prosecutor referred to the family as a "crime syndicate."

Sorry, @ALAYMAN , but that link you provided was poorly written and very hard to follow... So I had to go to several other sources.
I saw the three part documentary on Oxygen.

I'd like to see them keep him, with the proviso that the controversy doesn't get glossed over. But I'll bet there have been some discussions over at GCC.

Looks like Begg and MacArthur have had a talk about the Shepherds Conference, and Begg won't be there.

I don’t see where Mr. Begg has parted from biblical teachings regarding human sexuality. While I would give the grandmother different advice whether to attend or not is her decision and falls under disputable things in my opinion. Andy Stanley on the other hand has fully abandoned the biblical standard for marriage. As have way too many others recently.

At the wedding, would the offer be made for some to show just cause why the two should not be wed?

Attending a wedding isn't like attending a birthday party. Begg is completely off the deep end here.

At the wedding, would the offer be made for some to show just cause why the two should not be wed?

Attending a wedding isn't like attending a birthday party. Begg is completely off the deep end here.
Two of the rebuttals that I read asked essentially the same question. There is more to my attendance than a benign occupation of space.

FWIW A friend has posted a pretty harsh assessment of Begg on FB. I get her reasoning but it does show that "cancel culture" is a two way street.

Looks like Begg and MacArthur have had a talk about the Shepherds Conference, and Begg won't be there.

Quote from the linked article:

White evangelicals remain one of the least likely of all US religious groups to support same-sex marriage, according to the Public Religion Research Institute.

Exactly, what part does race or ethnicity play in being faithful to God's Word? This line is a great illustration of CT's journalism descending into pragmatism and "cultural relevance".

It will only get harder to navigate this issue because these "couples" will soon start producing grandchildren.

I was so expecting a handbasket.

Quote from the linked article:

White evangelicals remain one of the least likely of all US religious groups to support same-sex marriage, according to the Public Religion Research Institute.

Exactly, what part does race or ethnicity play in being faithful to God's Word? This line is a great illustration of CT's journalism descending into pragmatism and "cultural relevance".
I saw that section and noticed that black evangelical church numbers were not provided.

I get what Begg is trying to say but I would think that in his education and experience, he would understand that sometimes, the most loving thing we can do is to REFUSE to affirm a person's actions.

I get what Begg is trying to say but I would think that in his education and experience, he would understand
...that transgenderism is an assault on nature and its God, and so-called gay marriage is an assault on the law and its Giver.

I'm not being flippant when saying the following. I think it is a perfect parallel. They might as well be serving piss and dung for the Lord's Supper.

Well, there's the issue. If it was just another family event, like a birthday, then showing up with a gift would be something indifferent.

But wedding guests aren't just there to spectate. They are there to attest that the two persons at the altar may lawfully be wed, and Christians don't believe two men or two women may.

A wedding with a transgender spouse is either a same-sex wedding pretending not to be, or a heterosexual marriage pretending to be a same-sex one. Neither is biblically lawful.

And that means when asked whether they may lawfully be wed, holding your tongue is bearing false witness.

He hasn't, and that's not what the controversy is over.
Ah but the folks filling my news feed seem to think that he is apostate. Nuance is not a strength of many folks.

Alistair is being pragmatic thinking that extending kindness will leave the door open for dialogue and witnessing. He is not saying he agrees with or condones such unions and I thought he made this quite clear.

I disagree with Alistair Begg's position and concur with what others are saying that your presence at such a "wedding" implies your approval of the union and this is not something I would not wish to stand before God and give account!

I listen to RefNet on a regular basis where his "Truth for Life" program is regularly featured but took notice that he is not currently on their schedule so I guess that RefNet gave them the boot as well - albeit quietly.

I personally would not break fellowship with him over this matter. He gave some bad advice but it is a position for which we may agree to disagree.
Having several people in our family, and several friends who have children who have come out as homosexual or transgender, I couldn't in all good conscience go to a wedding, and would be against a wedding gift. I think this would send the wrong message. I wouldn't treat either of those involved in this "event" in an unloving way, but would make sure that they know I have to support the Bible over their feelings. My wife and I lost contact with a niece and her husband because we stated that God set the boundaries for who is considered married as a male and female when he made them in the beginning. My nieces husband has many LGBTQ+ friends and didn't like that, so he cut us off and told us to never contact them again. He forced our niece to discontinue any communication with us. We did wish them a Merry Christmas, and that was answered hospitably.

Having several people in our family, and several friends who have children who have come out as homosexual or transgender, I couldn't in all good conscience go to a wedding, and would be against a wedding gift. I think this would send the wrong message. I wouldn't treat either of those involved in this "event" in an unloving way, but would make sure that they know I have to support the Bible over their feelings. My wife and I lost contact with a niece and her husband because we stated that God set the boundaries for who is considered married as a male and female when he made them in the beginning. My nieces husband has many LGBTQ+ friends and didn't like that, so he cut us off and told us to never contact them again. He forced our niece to discontinue any communication with us. We did wish them a Merry Christmas, and that was answered hospitably.
Well... So much for tolerance, eh?

Yep. They want us to be tolerant of their friends' perverted lifestyles, but they can't afford to give us the same courtesy. They're supposed to be good Catholics, too....UGH!

"Tolerance" as defined by the progressives (something more akin to uncritical acceptance) has always been a one-way street, and you can find arguments online about the need to be intolerant of undesirable opinions.

Schaeffer sussed this out back in the 60s, talking about how the "Free Speech" movement wouldn't let anyone else speak.