Alternative churches in NW Indiana other than FBC

Binaca, you and I were in college at the same time, and you stayed around a few years....So if you ever care to share your i.d., I know we know each other.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

The Nice Church became The Laurel Church. The pastors are a husband / wife team, the youth director is their son. They just changed the name of the church, it is not defunct.

Hello prophet.  We may have been there at the same time, but I did not stay.  Graduated and got out of Dodge!  You must be thinking of someone else.  But I will take the compliment that you would consider me as an acquaintance!    :)

Binaca Chugger said:
Hello prophet.  We may have been there at the same time, but I did not stay.  Graduated and got out of Dodge!  You must be thinking of someone else.  But I will take the compliment that you would consider me as an acquaintance!    :)
ok...you were there from 92-96?  Just guessing.  The plane showed up in 94.  Did you help erect the Grange Hall?

myeyesareopen said:
The Nice Church became The Laurel Church. The pastors are a husband / wife team, the youth director is their son. They just changed the name of the church, it is not defunct.
Thanks, I had no idea that all that happened was the name changed.  They changed the color scheme, and everything, and appeared to be a different church.

There was a new church started by a pastor Hon in Hebron, I think.

Several years ago, I had friends that attended Newton County Baptist Church in Kentland - they moved out of state - pastor is from early days of HAC.

I bumped into the pastor of Bible Baptist in Highland once.  Seems like a nice guy.

Sorry, don't have real good info on the doctrine of any of these.

Binaca Chugger said:
There was a new church started by a pastor Hon in Hebron, I think.

Several years ago, I had friends that attended Newton County Baptist Church in Kentland - they moved out of state - pastor is from early days of HAC.

I bumped into the pastor of Bible Baptist in Highland once.  Seems like a nice guy.

Sorry, don't have real good info on the doctrine of any of these.
Pastor Hon was suffering from CF, and long outlived the expectations of any physician. I worked for his father, a custom home builder, while at HAC. 
Don't know how he is doing, now, but his story is one that brings  glory to God.

weaker-brother said:
I used to go to Dyer Baptist, in Dyer Indiana, post FBC, when Bro. Surrett was there.  Loved his Bible Studies, completely through a whole book of the Bible.  Some friends went to a garb church in Griffith.
But hey, probably depends on what someone here might define as "good".  Probably lots of definitions of that on this forum.

I enjoyed Pastor Surrett's teaching at the time I was there as well. He performed our wedding ceremony almost 25 years ago!

Arlyn Walters seems to be a very loving pastor. The church not crazy strict like other IFB churches like FBC.

Pastor Hon was a very nice man, however, he is not at Emanuel anymore, Frank McClure is the senior pastor. Not sure how strict they are. The last time I was there was in 95.

Bethel in Crown Point is nice, but most ex-FBC members could not handle their music. I am not sure if the are KJO. I visited there back in 09.

How about East Lake Baptist, Barrington Ridge Baptist Church or The Pointe Church in Hobart? Or How about Lake Hills? Has anyone been to any of these 4?

I've known Arlyn Walters since he was 14 years old.  Took him on a college trip many years ago and have a couple stories on him.  ;)  Good guy.  Nice family.  Haven't heard him preach since he was about 18, so can't really vouch for his preaching.

Bible Baptist in Highland with Pastor Mike Poole - who's been pastor there for more than 30 years.  BTW, he had a bad fall this past week.  Slipped on ice on his porch and hurt his back/swolen spinal cord resulting in loss of much feeling and movement in both legs.  Undergoing therapy now and has shown a very little improvement.  Surgery may still be possibility.  Pray for him when you get a chance. 

This is a very good church with good people. 

patriotic said:
I've known Arlyn Walters since he was 14 years old.  Took him on a college trip many years ago and have a couple stories on him.  ;)  Good guy.  Nice family.  Haven't heard him preach since he was about 18, so can't really vouch for his preaching.

Bible Baptist in Highland with Pastor Mike Poole - who's been pastor there for more than 30 years.  BTW, he had a bad fall this past week.  Slipped on ice on his porch and hurt his back/swolen spinal cord resulting in loss of much feeling and movement in both legs.  Undergoing therapy now and has shown a very little improvement.  Surgery may still be possibility.  Pray for him when you get a chance. 

Hey patriotic, Is that you? Is Mike Poole Beth's brother or family member? We will be praying!!

patriotic said:

Ouch.  Will pray.

Sherryh said:
patriotic said:

Hey patriotic, Is that you? Is Mike Poole Beth's brother or family member? We will be praying!!

Sherry, it is I. 

No, I don't believe it's any relation to those Pooles (presumably of HAC and/or FBCH)  He's been pastor at this church for over 30 years, and frankly, in those decades the church has had very little interaction with FBCH.  It's just been another faithfully shining light in the Calumet region. 

A few years ago, they purchased the old Calument Christian School (elementary) building on Orchard Ave in Highland (near Cline Ave. )  They've totally remodeled those buildings to include their whole church plant.  Beautiful auditorium, school including gym (albeit a small, elementary-sized gym, but adequate for them), wonderful kitchen and fellowship hall, SS rooms, offices, etc.  It's really a nicely laid out church property. 

Today, Pastor Poole is having a pretty rough time.  Please continue to pray.

Thank you my friend!! We have him on our prayer list.............God bless you!!

patriotic said:

We visited his church several times over the years we lived in that area.  He used to have a tent revival in the backyard of his home every year.  I always got the seat under the leaking seam.  Great memories!

IFB X-Files said:
patriotic said:

We visited his church several times over the years we lived in that area.  He used to have a tent revival in the backyard of his home every year.  I always got the seat under the leaking seam.  Great memories!

They still have tent meetings every year around the first week of June or thereabouts.  I think they are held on church property now. 

He was able to sit in wheelchair and even wheeled himself down the hall today (Friday, Feb. 1).  From what I understand, yesterday, he was still unable to sit....so keep the prayers going! 

Just two weeks after his fall and possibly never walking again....

An update from one of Pastor Poole's (of Bible Baptist in Highland, IN) daughters"

O my daddy, what a man!! He is a pastor and I understand his desire to be at church. But for him to stand in his pulpit and sing about how the Lord makes no mistakes and then preach about how we should be rejoicing in the Lord and turning to Him in our time of need, he just is continually teaching us. So glad his legs held up for him and that God allowed me to be one of Mike and Marie Poole's kids

I have been attending Bethel in Crown Point for about 8 months now after being at fbch for the last 25 years. If you would have told me even ten years ago that I would be attending a non-denominational church I would have told you that you were nuts.

Music is a little hard to get used to as it is about 85% contemporary but after getting to know some of the musicians and watching I am finding that most of these folks love the Lord and the emphasis is a lot more on worship and on God than it is on man. Most are there because they absolutely love the Lord and not, as I was taught, that they are all backslidden and have chosen a church to fit their lifestyles. (vintage Jack Hyles)

After faithfully attending fbch for the last 25 years, for about the last ten I have dreaded going, hated being there, got nothing out of the preaching, thought js was a blowhard pervert, and watched him absolutely take apart people and families that he thought were in opposition. No, this is not a kjvo church but since coming here I am convinced that they are FAR MORE COMMITTED TO BIBLICAL INTEGRITY than js or jh ever was. IMO

There is quite a list of former fbch people here and in some cases they went along with all the programs, codes, standards, etc. gleaned from fbch and in several cases they somehow came here with their marriages on the rocks and lives in a mess. Several who I personally know have told me that finding this church saved their homes and marriages and yet they are shunned and treated like heathens because they go to "that" church.

The very first week I attended an assistant pastor preached. In his message he said basically that they have a very simple mission statement. It was to the effect that they desired for every single person who walked through the doors to make a connection with God and that their spiritual life was the most important thing in the world, whether they developed it at Bethel or elsewhere and I couldn't help but think how refreshing that was.

I had it in  my mind to visit some of these other Baptist churches that were mentioned but I have not made it and probably won't. For the first time in years I actually enjoy going to church and can't wait to get there. I thought that feeling was gone forever. 

Sorry for the rant!

BALAAM said:
I have been attending Bethel in Crown Point for about 8 months now after being at fbch for the last 25 years. If you would have told me even ten years ago that I would be attending a non-denominational church I would have told you that you were nuts.

Music is a little hard to get used to as it is about 85% contemporary but after getting to know some of the musicians and watching I am finding that most of these folks love the Lord and the emphasis is a lot more on worship and on God than it is on man. Most are there because they absolutely love the Lord and not, as I was taught, that they are all backslidden and have chosen a church to fit their lifestyles. (vintage Jack Hyles)

After faithfully attending fbch for the last 25 years, for about the last ten I have dreaded going, hated being there, got nothing out of the preaching, thought js was a blowhard pervert, and watched him absolutely take apart people and families that he thought were in opposition. No, this is not a kjvo church but since coming here I am convinced that they are FAR MORE COMMITTED TO BIBLICAL INTEGRITY than js or jh ever was. IMO

There is quite a list of former fbch people here and in some cases they went along with all the programs, codes, standards, etc. gleaned from fbch and in several cases they somehow came here with their marriages on the rocks and lives in a mess. Several who I personally know have told me that finding this church saved their homes and marriages and yet they are shunned and treated like heathens because they go to "that" church.

The very first week I attended an assistant pastor preached. In his message he said basically that they have a very simple mission statement. It was to the effect that they desired for every single person who walked through the doors to make a connection with God and that their spiritual life was the most important thing in the world, whether they developed it at Bethel or elsewhere and I couldn't help but think how refreshing that was.

I had it in  my mind to visit some of these other Baptist churches that were mentioned but I have not made it and probably won't. For the first time in years I actually enjoy going to church and can't wait to get there. I thought that feeling was gone forever. 

Sorry for the rant!

I'm so happy for you........it will amaze us who we will see in heaven and who will not be there..............God bless you and your family!!