Alumni Meeting

TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
breslau said:
Galatians 6 is about restoration to fellowship and not about restoring a man as pastor.
This we know, because there is no such office as pastor mentioned.
True.  However most here or at least learned men who are Baptist have used the word pastor and in some cases preacher to mean bishop.  It is understood.  The catholic church destroyed the definition of bishop and made it of no use in similitude to the way the sodomites have taken the term "gay" and perverted it.    I guess we could try to reclaim it but I see no desire to do that.  But you already knew that.  Yes I understand your desire to bring back the New Testament church.  I have yet to see it in the western church yet.

You seem very informed. Do you know when the idea of the episkopēs as leading a region (vs a single church) first emerged?

TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
breslau said:
Galatians 6 is about restoration to fellowship and not about restoring a man as pastor.
True.  However most here or at least learned men who are Baptist have used the word pastor and in some cases preacher to mean bishop.  It is understood.  The catholic church destroyed the definition of bishop and made it of no use in similitude to the way the sodomites have taken the term "gay" and perverted it.    I guess we could try to reclaim it but I see no desire to do that.  But you already knew that.  Yes I understand your desire to bring back the New Testament church.  I have yet to see it in the western church yet.

I see it as more insidious than, "Rome ruined the word".
Rather, I believe that the Nik-king co-conspirators are ducking Phil 1:1, which exposes them for the frauds that they are:

Phi 1:1
1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

rsc2a said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
breslau said:

You seem very informed. Do you know when the idea of the episkopēs as leading a region (vs a single church) first emerged?

Council of Nicaea I believe.

But its real roots were the heresies that were emerging from the College of Philo at Alexandria where gnostic teachings were being brought in mixing with doctrine and a re-evaluation in how scripture would be handled in allegory as opposed to literal interpretation

TidesofTruth said:
rsc2a said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
breslau said:

Council of Nicaea I believe.

But its real roots were the heresies that were emerging from the College of Philo at Alexandria where gnostic teachings were being brought in mixing with doctrine and a re-evaluation in how scripture would be handled in allegory as opposed to literal interpretation

Wrong. In the Apostolics, there seems to be a general shift from elders leading "independent" churches (e.g. Clement ~95 AD) to a region/city-wide bishop leading a group of elders who run the affairs of specific assemblies (e.g. Ignatius ~110 AD). By 200 AD, the regional bishopric was a well-established practice. You've got another 200+ years from first mention before you get to the Council of Nicaea and there wasn't a "Catholic Church" for another 700 years or so after that.

Far cry from the idea that "the catholic church destroyed the definition of bishop".