Alumni Meeting

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
As most of you know, HAC has been doing a series of alumni meetings all around the country. I went to one last night in Rockford @ North Love Baptist Church and just wanted to share with you all a couple of interesting things.

-enrollment is about 450, which is down from last year, but they have finally graduated the last of the Jericho Program, and this year's freshman class (about 160) is bigger than last years.
-the online program has about 500 enrolled, with about 100 active at any given time; many are wives who never had a chance to finish their degree years ago; you can get the same degree online, for the most part, and the classes are the same; the format is audio paired with powerpoint
-the online program is starting to bring in some serious money, and that is very helpful in their current situation
-HAC almost didn't open in the fall of 2013
-John Wilkerson spends all day Thursday at the college; he teaches Church Ed, and a class on how to disciple new converts to the freshman
-every week an outside pastor is brought in to teach Church Ed

John Wilkerson gave a brief testimony about his ministry experience, and then hung around, with Stuart Mason, Eddie Lapina, John Francis, and others to talk to people. It was my first time to meet Bro. Wilkerson, and my impression, like everybody else's that I've read, was overwhelmingly positive. He sought me out after the meeting, and waited to talk to me while I was talking to someone else. We spoke for about 15 minutes and at the end he asked me to pray with him. It was very touching actually. I see in him none/zero/zilch of the big shot disease that has so characterized that place for so long.

I almost didn't go yesterday, but my wife said to me, 'You've been mad at that place long enough. It's your alma mater. Go.' As usual, she was right. I'm very glad I did.

Thank you, Tom, for that refreshing update.  It is nice to see that they are being transparent with their attendance numbers.  I have never met Brother Wilkerson or heard him preach.  Sounds like the polar opposite of JS.  It sounds like Wilkerson is a humble man.  You also mentioned a few men that had been on JS's staff.  Do you see a change in their "attitude"?

Love North Love. My husband and I served there for 4 years in the late 80's, they hold a special place in my heart. John Francis was a bus worker in my division when he attended college, always was a humble guy and very friendly. My nephew and his family still attend NLBC, if he wasnt working I am sure he was there. Thanks for the update. I like Pastor Wilkerson, and I wish him and his family the best. I think people have to give him a chance, he cant change things over night. But he comes from a good family.

kaba said:
Love North Love. My husband and I served there for 4 years in the late 80's, they hold a special place in my heart. John Francis was a bus worker in my division when he attended college, always was a humble guy and very friendly. My nephew and his family still attend NLBC, if he wasnt working I am sure he was there. Thanks for the update. I like Pastor Wilkerson, and I wish him and his family the best. I think people have to give him a chance, he cant change things over night. But he comes from a good family.

Was John Roach from North Love?

John Mark?  Kathy Burton worked there the same time I was there. Currently Patty Stone, Donna & Mark Hubener are there the asst Pastor graduated a loooooong time ago from HAC-Dan Outler, Pastor Kingsbury and his wife attended HAC as well. They use to send a lot of kids there, but not so much any more.

kaba said:
John Mark?  Kathy Burton worked there the same time I was there. Currently Patty Stone, Donna & Mark Hubener are there the asst Pastor graduated a loooooong time ago from HAC-Dan Outler, Pastor Kingsbury and his wife attended HAC as well. They use to send a lot of kids there, but not so much any more.

I'm pretty sure John Roach was from Rockford.  There is also a Berean Baptist in Rockford.  Maybe he was from there.  Mark Swanson now pastors there.

RAIDER said:
Thank you, Tom, for that refreshing update.  It is nice to see that they are being transparent with their attendance numbers.  I have never met Brother Wilkerson or heard him preach.  Sounds like the polar opposite of JS.  It sounds like Wilkerson is a humble man.  You also mentioned a few men that had been on JS's staff.  Do you see a change in their "attitude"?

I have, yes, since the summer of 2012. I remember sitting in a meeting with Eddie Lapina in the fall of 2012 in which he was talking about giving advice, and he said, 'Right now I don't think I should be giving advice to anybody.'

Humility is a foundational spiritual characteristic, one that is necessary to absolutely everything about a genuine Christianity, and it is high time for it to make a return to that place. They've paid and are paying a terrible price to get it, but that's how it goes. 'Those that walk in pride He is able to abase.' I still fear that their focus is too man-centered, which breeds pride, and I spoke briefly to Bro. Wilkerson about that last night, but I like what I see. It needs to go much further, but I like what I see.

Tom Brennan said:
RAIDER said:

I have, yes, since the summer of 2012. I remember sitting in a meeting with Eddie Lapina in the fall of 2012 in which he was talking about giving advice, and he said, 'Right now I don't think I should be giving advice to anybody.'

Humility is a foundational spiritual characteristic, one that is necessary to absolutely everything about a genuine Christianity, and it is high time for it to make a return to that place. They've paid and are paying a terrible price to get it, but that's how it goes. 'Those that walk in pride He is able to abase.' I still fear that their focus is too man-centered, which breeds pride, and I spoke briefly to Bro. Wilkerson about that last night, but I like what I see. It needs to go much further, but I like what I see.

There is such a fine line between respecting preachers and worshiping preachers.  Brother Hyles wanted the students to look up to preachers.  This in theory sounds innocent.  When you add to that a bunch of college aged kids it can easily turn into man worship.  I know that most young people look up to someone who is in the field that they wish to enter.  This is not unique to preacher boys. 

Im curious.  Did he seek you out because he knew you before?  Knows you are a pastor?  Or because of your transparent online presence?

Binaca Chugger said:
Im curious.  Did he seek you out because he knew you before?  Knows you are a pastor?  Or because of your transparent online presence?

I didn't ask him, but probably because I'm an area pastor. I wrote him a welcome letter when he first arrived, and he wrote me back and said he looked forward to meeting me. He didn't say anything that made me think he had read anything I have written, either here or elsewhere.

Tom Brennan said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I didn't ask him, but probably because I'm an area pastor. I wrote him a welcome letter when he first arrived, and he wrote me back and said he looked forward to meeting me. He didn't say anything that made me think he had read anything I have written, either here or elsewhere.

Tom, this was your perfect opportunity to invite him to the HAC FFF.  :)

RAIDER said:

Uh, I was trying to make a GOOD impression...

;D

John Wilkerson is a class act. He has my respect and he has his hands full financially and otherwise.

Tom Brennan said:
RAIDER said:

Uh, I was trying to make a GOOD impression...

;D
What better impression could you make?::)

Tom Brennan said:
As most of you know, HAC has been doing a series of alumni meetings all around the country. I went to one last night in Rockford @ North Love Baptist Church and just wanted to share with you all a couple of interesting things.

-enrollment is about 450, which is down from last year, but they have finally graduated the last of the Jericho Program, and this year's freshman class (about 160) is bigger than last years.
-the online program has about 500 enrolled, with about 100 active at any given time; many are wives who never had a chance to finish their degree years ago; you can get the same degree online, for the most part, and the classes are the same; the format is audio paired with powerpoint
-the online program is starting to bring in some serious money, and that is very helpful in their current situation
-HAC almost didn't open in the fall of 2013
-John Wilkerson spends all day Thursday at the college; he teaches Church Ed, and a class on how to disciple new converts to the freshman
-every week an outside pastor is brought in to teach Church Ed

John Wilkerson gave a brief testimony about his ministry experience, and then hung around, with Stuart Mason, Eddie Lapina, John Francis, and others to talk to people. It was my first time to meet Bro. Wilkerson, and my impression, like everybody else's that I've read, was overwhelmingly positive. He sought me out after the meeting, and waited to talk to me while I was talking to someone else. We spoke for about 15 minutes and at the end he asked me to pray with him. It was very touching actually. I see in him none/zero/zilch of the big shot disease that has so characterized that place for so long.

I almost didn't go yesterday, but my wife said to me, 'You've been mad at that place long enough. It's your alma mater. Go.' As usual, she was right. I'm very glad I did.
S Froelke still involed with the Alumni?

fishinnut said:
S Froelke still involed with the Alumni?

Yes, my first time to meet him as well. Seems perfect for the job.

Can I be perfectly transparent and honest?

I so want God to be glorified through all of the JS mess. I also want the institution that hurt so many over the years to just disappear. And I struggle trying to reconcile those two thoughts.  So many of those who hurt us are still there and in charge. Some were given substantial position while JS was...well...you know...And only because they were his best friends. He was placing his people in strategic positions for his own purposes. And they are still in those positions! I wonder sometimes who in their right mind would still send their precious children and students there. I truly believe Pastor Wilkerson is a good man. And I wonder how long it will take for that system to corrupt him. Then I have to confront my own pride and reexamine my own life and remind myself to keep my eyes on Jesus. I'm not there anymore so it's really none of my business. But the hurt we endured there still stings. There is a part of me that cringes when I read the positive remarks of support...but  I know I am wrong for that. I have a love/hate relationship with my alma mater...the place my children were born and reared...the area and place I called home for 30 years...the alma mater of my children...the place we served the Lord...the ministry we gave the best years of our life to.

Those are my brutally honest thoughts.

Tom,

Did Bro. Wilkerson mention anything about accreditation?

Cast.Sheep, I sympathize with your problem. My transcript still contains a slander from Jim Vineyard because of my opposition to the gang violence he supervised. And the college falsified my records in other ways, along with the records of other students as well. These sins are permanent and will never be repented of or corrected. Now throw in the slanders against the people who opposed Dave Hyles' sins.

God uses people despite their sins. Most of the students know little or nothing about HAC's record of sin. Is God going to refuse to bless them because they attend HAC? Will God cast away brainwashed leaders who thought they were doing right by co-operating with the cover-ups?

Deceit was a built-in characteristic of HAC before their first opening day. Lying to protect their reputation is a solid, permanent sin of the entire organization. I knew that the college was lying and thought that I was doing the right thing by staying, and God is still using me today. I have no grudges against other people who did the same thing.